PDA

View Full Version : Planetstrike, and beyond.

Trogdor
25-05-2009, 20:35
Ok, whilst I'd happily admit that GW have their major faults, one thing that has stood out for me in recent times is the quality of their plastics and particularly the turn towards producing nifty terrain kits, for those of us too lazy/busy/ham-fisted to make our own.

What I'd like to discuss is first, how cross compatible you think the kits will be with the Cities of Death terrain (and other terrain pieces, of course) and where they might go next with this. Will we see Xenos terrain? Further Imperial building releases? Underhive wastes?

Let the informed conjecture, wishlisting and random snipes at GW begin!

only joking...
25-05-2009, 20:41
I don't think it will be too long before we see kits like a warhound titan or thunderhawk gunship. I definitely think there will be an increase in fliers released for most races (Tau, Eldar and Orks come to mind). As for terrain I don't think there will be much xeno stuff its more likely to be kits like an Imperial defence laser. Just my two $ based on the release patterns of the last 3 years.

blackcherry
25-05-2009, 20:43
I would imagine for the time being they will stick to doing imperial, chaos and ork terrain, as they all require less work than designing more alien terrain, and aren't as 'niche' as perhaps eldar or tau terrain is.

If the lines are successful, then within 5 years I'm sure you could see some more alien terrain, but the base kits have to be popular first. GW is a business after all and if something is not popular enough, its been shown they will scrap it eventually.

Lord of Worms
27-05-2009, 02:39
The only xenos terrain that that would be particularly difficult to scratch-build is Eldar. Back when the Tau first came out, they ran a whole bunch of articles on how to build Tau architecture. It's pretty easy if you have a hot-wire cutter :).

I am glad that they did the gothic ruins though. Making a busted communist-style tenement is easy, but broken cathedrals? Not so much...

SylverClaw
27-05-2009, 06:58
It would be nice to see some xeno scenary.

An Eldar warpgate? How easy would that be to make into a kit? I don't own any Eldar but I'd buy one of those because they look cool. Tau would also be nice. Chaos... no real need unless its full on daemon-world stuff (which would be cool) as it's all just Imperial with spikey bits added.

More than anything though, I'd like some actual bunkers. Yes, the bastion looks great... but it's a big huge to be just a normal, plain old bunker. And the FW ones are fine but they are all so tiny (you can barely even squeeze three models into the sandbag bunker).

Yes, yes... could there be anything easier to make... I know, but I really suck at making scenary.

Templar Ben
27-05-2009, 07:06
It would be interesting to have Eldar/Elf, Necron/Tomb Kings or Ork/Orc/Gorkamorka terrain. It would give a larger market as it would cross systems just as the hills and woods did.

blackcherry
27-05-2009, 08:15
Bunkers would be a good thing to make for 40K. At the moment, a lot of the extra scenarios that are fun to play require bunkers, which either people don't possess, or just don't have the time/skill/inclination to build.

Trogdor
27-05-2009, 12:03
I'd like to see bunkers and perhaps a trench system in the future - I'm a big fan of the Forge World trenches but I'd rather not have to sell a kidney just yet - as well as maybe a few vehicle/flier/titan wreck scenery items. Oh, and river sections in plastic, as they would be useful across the whole range of games.

thinkerman
27-05-2009, 12:14
I'd like to see bunkers and perhaps a trench system in the future - I'm a big fan of the Forge World trenches but I'd rather not have to sell a kidney just yet - as well as maybe a few vehicle/flier/titan wreck scenery items. Oh, and river sections in plastic, as they would be useful across the whole range of games.

There is supposed to be additional board sections coming available for the battle board which will have terrain features like trenches and bunkers in the future

As for larger kits - the thunderhawk will be happening at some point, as for a warhound titan - maybe in 5 years time

Lord of Worms
27-05-2009, 12:30
Yes, yes... could there be anything easier to make... I know, but I really suck at making scenary.

This is what your GW store should be teaching you, as a "thanks buddy!" for all the money you dump there. It sucks when you're a war-gamer and you have to go to a train shop to get someone to show you something.

thinkerman
27-05-2009, 14:50
This is what your GW store should be teaching you, as a "thanks buddy!" for all the money you dump there. It sucks when you're a war-gamer and you have to go to a train shop to get someone to show you something.

I think this is a true point - stores no longer have the proper skill required to be showing terrain building and really good board making.

You could say that its been dumbed down with the plastic kits - i suppose the main reason its not promoted enough now is that GW cant sell you it!!!! - where as a pre made, pre designed plastic kit they can.

Its also very expensive also to produce terrain and hobby peices that GW sticks in WD - remember the wizards tower that was about 150 to make!

How can this be an affordable to anyone, kids nor adults - Join the real world please when doing hobby articles

Lord of Worms
27-05-2009, 15:28
How can this be an affordable to anyone, kids nor adults - Join the real world please when doing hobby articles

A pair of friends can make a beautiful gaming board better then any junk you see in WD for less then the price of that wizard's tower you mentioned. All it takes is one guy to show you how to do it. I made a necromunda board out of one pack of bulkheads, some styrofoam I got from a construction site (they were throwing it out and nothing was wrong with it) and some garbage I got in my garage. The whole thing cost me 35 dollars.

If nobody in your acquaintance can show you how to do it, go to a train shop . They might expect you to buy something, but those older guys who are into that stuff are:

1.) Usually really, really good at what they do.

2.) Older guys. It's in their nature to want to teach you stuff, and they'll be more than happy to do it. The X amount of $$ in materials you buy there will save you money in the long term, and you'll have better stuff.

One last piece of advice, scenery is better when it's a group effort. It's more fun, and easier to do with a friend than by yourself.

Templar Ben
28-05-2009, 18:48
I agree that tables in particular need an extra set of hands just to work due to size. Model builders can also help if you have questions about terrain pieces such as revetments or ruined cities.

yabbadabba
29-05-2009, 11:56
If you have the time and space, always make your own scenery stuff. Not only is it worthwhile, it is in some cases cheaper than buying the stuff (if you factor in your own personal "wage" for making the stuff).

It keeps such skills in the hobby community and it encourages you to keep developing your own. If you plan well, you can do all your scenery yourself although having some mates around makes it more fun - but not necessarily cheaper once you factor in food/beer! However there are some great scenery kits out there, including some of GW's. And you can find a lot of stuff pre-painted and pre-constructed. Nothing like conveniance some days eh?!

@Lord of Worms - I learnt all my core scenery construction skills at a GW store. I built on that by going to clubs, shows and speaking to the odd train kit geek. Its all been a blast but if it wasn't for that shop manager encouraging me to have a go, I might have even left the hobby by now.

Fire Harte
29-05-2009, 12:19
It's these new kits and thinking of ways to expand them and save cash yet still have nice terrain is the good part. I mean I can buy an imperial sector and then buy some movement trays and plasticard and other bitz and bobz to make something really cool (obviously in my opinion!)

Templar Ben
29-05-2009, 13:06
You just have to keep in mind that military diorama builders and train enthusiasts tend to build very realistic and not necessarily for durability. Wargamers give up realism in many cases for modular/durable terrain. Here is a fun site for videos.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/FlashVideos/MakeATree.html
http://scenearama.woodlandscenics.com/SARTV.cfm

Back on topic, I am sad that Planetary Empires is going to be over $40 out the door. ME which was for a much smaller audience was priced at $25 but since it was really just tiles with a 6 page pamphlet and had nothing specific for 40K, it didn't sell well. Now ME has gone up dramatically because they know it doesn't move and the PE set will cost the same even though it was the one that should have been $25. It won't sell well in a self fulfilling cycle due to price.

It is a shame because there was so much potential for future expansions.

Trogdor
29-05-2009, 22:19
Planetary Empires is pretty much going to echo the Mighty Empires box contents, right? $40 does seem rather steep - that will make it about 25 won't it?

On the topic of building terrain, it's something I used to do a lot when I was younger - sewer entrances, chemical ponds and the like - but for some reason I just lost the terrain building bug and nowadays I've got too much of a painting backlog to really feel inclined to build any more. If GW were start making large pre painted scenery pieces (like the old gothic cathedral ruin they had) how do you chaps think they would sell?

Khornies & milk
29-05-2009, 22:38

While not GW terrain, FOW produce great River sections that'd be fine for a 40K/Fantasy board...and they're pre-painted to boot.

spaint2k
31-05-2009, 01:49
Back on topic, I am sad that Planetary Empires is going to be over $40 out the door. ME which was for a much smaller audience was priced at $25 but since it was really just tiles with a 6 page pamphlet and had nothing specific for 40K, it didn't sell well. Now ME has gone up dramatically because they know it doesn't move and the PE set will cost the same even though it was the one that should have been $25. It won't sell well in a self fulfilling cycle due to price.

It is a shame because there was so much potential for future expansions.

When was Mighty Empires $25? It's $45 on the GW site.

Steve

Hellebore
31-05-2009, 02:36
Well GW don't really want you building your own terrain anymore, they've built it for you. So their staff won't need terrain building skills, because they only have to say 'why build it when you can buy it? Here, buy this.'

For my space wolf army I'd rather have some ork/tau/eldar terrain to fight over than imperial terrain. It says to me that I sucked bad enough to have to fight on my own planets, and I apparently didn't do a very good job because most of the infrastructure has already been destroyed.

Fighting over the ruins of a tau outpost though, that tells me my army is kickass because it swept in and destroyed the xenos!

As for superheavies, the thunderhawk is mostly a big box, so it would assemble in a similar manner to the GW buildings, lots of square panels that slot into each other. Only the weapons and engines are complicated enough to require the more involved vehicle sprue setup.

Conceptually a thunderhawk box would be two parts cities of death sprue and one part valkyrie sprue.

The eldar revenant titan would be easier to make than a baneblade and take less space and have less parts to assemble.

Hellebore

Grindgodgrind
31-05-2009, 14:43
Well GW don't really want you building your own terrain anymore, they've built it for you. So their staff won't need terrain building skills, because they only have to say 'why build it when you can buy it? Here, buy this.'

For my space wolf army I'd rather have some ork/tau/eldar terrain to fight over than imperial terrain. It says to me that I sucked bad enough to have to fight on my own planets, and I apparently didn't do a very good job because most of the infrastructure has already been destroyed.

Fighting over the ruins of a tau outpost though, that tells me my army is kickass because it swept in and destroyed the xenos!

Hellebore

I agree with this, I'd love to see some decent Xenos stuff in production.

Senbei
31-05-2009, 17:09
Well... Ork stuff is easy: http://www.miniaturescenery.com/

I've bought from these guys before... Was quick and not too expensive... and that was with shipping it from Aus to the UK.

Lord of Worms
02-06-2009, 22:19
@Lord of Worms - I learnt all my core scenery construction skills at a GW store. I built on that by going to clubs, shows and speaking to the odd train kit geek. Its all been a blast but if it wasn't for that shop manager encouraging me to have a go, I might have even left the hobby by now.

Then you were very fortunate. All I had when I started was articles from when WD used to be good. I had to look for the only actually good hobby shop that had the expertise or inclination to show me anything. As for conventions, I still have yet to locate any in Southern Ontario. Hell, I'll even travel to Quebec (me with my non-existant French...do you think I can get by with Medieval Latin?;))

MajorWesJanson
04-06-2009, 10:10

As for superheavies, the thunderhawk is mostly a big box, so it would assemble in a similar manner to the GW buildings, lots of square panels that slot into each other. Only the weapons and engines are complicated enough to require the more involved vehicle sprue setup.

Conceptually a thunderhawk box would be two parts cities of death sprue and one part valkyrie sprue.

The eldar revenant titan would be easier to make than a baneblade and take less space and have less parts to assemble.

Hellebore

Given the size and complexity, You could make a Thunderbolt fighter, an Ork fighta/ fighta-bomba, a barracuda, a Heirodule, or a revenant titan kit with roughly the same size and sprues as the Valkerye. I would expect the revenant to be priced higher though, and maybe have more options in the box. Next size up would be something Baneblade/stompa sized, like a Heirophant/Harridan or an Eldar super-grav tank kit. Finally, you get the big models, like the Thunderhawk which would be about the size of an imperial sector and probably priced up higher than the baneblade due to size and demand.

snurl
04-06-2009, 10:36
Space Hulk 3d corridors and rooms to the scale of the realm of battle board would get my attention. And my wallet.