PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts Empire Starter List

sirbone
25-05-2009, 21:33
I'm normally a greenskin player but I have empire models lying around from previous editions and, after I've painted my O&G completely, I'm planning on bulking out my Empire army. I have some vague fluff in mind, and I intend on getting an army that I like the look of and learning how to win with it rather than getting an army that I can win with.

The idea is that Engold The Grim, a warrior priest (my general) with a particular interest in cleansing the Amber Hills of Beastmen, enlists the help of Leo Rothke, an Imperial Captain with a small army and a big grudge (the battle standard bearer). Whilst camping in a valley out towards the Amber Hills, a huge horde of myriad warped beasts come hurtling from the darkness, and just as they get close to the camp, they stop and howl and turn away. The warrior priest calls his men to charge at the fleeing monstrosities, but as he steps up to lead the charge, a single form moves from the shadows towards him. At first, the warrior priest suspects it to be a beast, and he rushes in, only to be sent to the floor by a blast of magical energy. The form waves a hand and the assorted campfires around it seem to cling to it, and it is revealed to be a man- though many of the soldiers at first suspect of the man of being a beast, as his beard is long and his hair unkempt, his skin tone dark and his gait staggered. He apologises to the disgruntled priest, leaning on a staff of knarled wood nearly as tall as himself, and introduces himself as, simply, Harold. He explains that he has sent the beasts away, and that he has lived in the hills and the forests for a long time, learning the habits of the beasts and waiting for a brave enough force of men to join him in banishing the land of their foul stench. Distrustful but awestruck by the shaman's seemingly flawless command of fauna, Engold agrees to allow Harold to accompany him on his quest.

(or something like that...)

Engold The Grim
Warrior Priest
Second Hammer
Armour Of Meteoric Iron
119pts

Harold
Battle Wizard
Level 2
Rod Of Power
130pts

Leo Rothke
Battle Standard Bearer
Full Plate Armour
Imperial Banner
183pts

20 Swordsmen
Full Command
145pts

2 x 15 Spearmen
Musician and Standard
Shields
204pts

12 Handgunners
Musician
101pts

2 x 10 Archers
160pts

10 Huntsmen
100pts

5 Pistoliers
90pts

2 x Great Cannon
200pts

Total: 1,432

-------------

There are some free points there still, and I'm reluctant to fill them up with anything other than items because of my monetary restrictions. I think it's pretty tasty list with the amount of shooting, but without being too reliant on the shooting phase. The BSB is, I know, a huge points drop, but, as I say, I'm more interested in an army which I feel is exciting than an army that will win everytime. (Currently I'll need to buy the warrior priest, the battle standard, the pistoliers and the huntsmen).

If there are points rearrangments or magic item suggestions or unit size suggestions that you have to offer I am eager to read them.

Cheers,

Bone

nasty_little_hobbit
25-05-2009, 21:46
Nice fluff btw short but sweet:)
Your state troop blocks are too small and are lacking detatchments. I would drop the 2 archer units ( you already have the huntsmen + handgunners etc) and with the points beef up the swordsmen unit to 25 and add a detatchment or two of halberds/ free company. With the spare points you might be able to add a unit of vanilla knights which would be very useful flank protectors/chargers to support your 3 main blocks.

lparigi34
25-05-2009, 22:47
What is your strategy? Do you have a plan for the army?

IMHO empire is weak vs others if you have a foot army and do not take advantage on one of its most important rules -> detachments. For this you need somehow larger troop blocks and, of course, detachments (infantry ones). 2x25 swordsmen w/detachments of 9 (3x3) are good enough. You can use your missile infantry also as detachments, giving you more mobility options.

You have no magic defense but 3 dd.

Nightsword
25-05-2009, 23:20
You have no magic defense but 3 dd.

He has a Lvl2 wizard and generates 2 dispel dice normally anyway...

Kalec
26-05-2009, 03:05
Drop the spearmen, the archers, and the huntsmen. Bring the swordies up to 25 strong, grab another swordie block of 25, split the handgunners into detachments of 6 for the swordies, and give each swordie block a detachment of 9 swordsmen if points allow.

Pick up a musician for the pistoliers.

Give the priest a great weapon over the second hammer. S6 is much, much, much better then S4 with an extra attack.

The BSB needs a barded steed and a shield. He is too important to leave so poorly armored.

If you have the extra points, a block of 5 knights with a musician would help you greatly. Or, you could give the pistoliers a champ with a repeater pistol, or some flagellants. Plenty of choices.

sirbone
26-05-2009, 05:40
Cheers for the comments folks. I had a suspicion the unit size of the swordsmen was too small.

Kalec- Dropping the spearmen entirely and buying a whole load of swordsmen is just not a viable option. As I say, I'm not willing to spend a horrendous amount of money and am more concerned with having a viable army than an explicitly good one. Of course, your other advice has certainly been heeded.

I'll have a fiddle with the list and look at adding detachments and beefing up the infantry units (25 for the sworsdmen and 20 for the spearmen- only requires two state troop boxes then). I'll also see about splitting the handgunners into two detachments and putting one each with either spearman block, and then getting some free company to fill the rest of the detachment spaces. If I can find a model or convert one cheaply I will put the bsb on a horse ('twas my original intention but I couldn't find a suitable model when I looked). I'll change the additional hammer (I hadn't really thought that through anyway). Knights are also an option, but I'll see how the rest turns out.

Anardakil
26-05-2009, 07:52
Swordsmen might often be the better choice but Spearmen are fine - keep them :) I use spearmen cause I like them ^^ You could try putting your warrior priest there for quite a lot of hatred attacks.

But yes your infantry blocks are too small. You really shouldn't go beneath 24-25 with spearmen and swordsmen. They need all the CR they can get.

If you want a mounted bsb, which you should have unless the bsb has armour of meteoric iron, then buy the empire general box. You can make one out of that :)

And drop some archers to get some cc-detachments :) Otherwise it's a good start!

Lord Dan
26-05-2009, 08:01
Engold The Grim
Warrior Priest
Second Hammer
Armour Of Meteoric Iron
119pts
Very nice. I would give him a GW, but that's a personal choice more than a tactical one.

Harold
Battle Wizard
Level 2
Rod Of Power
130pts
Eh, rod of power? Since you're not going up against much in the way of magic at 1500 points, a scroll would be wasted. You could give him something fun like the armor of tarnus. No one would expect that. What lore are you planning on taking?

Leo Rothke
Battle Standard Bearer
Full Plate Armour
Imperial Banner
183pts
Magic banner = bad. Give him the holy relic so he doesn't get executed turn 2.

20 Swordsmen
Full Command
145pts
Bump them to 25.

2 x 15 Spearmen
Musician and Standard
Shields
204pts
Drop one unit, bump the other to 25 (as Anardakil mentioned, a priest in a big block of spearmen can be really funny). Take 2 9 man detachments of either swordsmen or militia, your choice really.

12 Handgunners
Musician
101pts
Break in half, and make them detachments for your blocks.

2 x 10 Archers
160pts
I would just drop these guys altogether. Unless you meant "crossbowmen", in which case only drop one unit.

10 Huntsmen
100pts
Other people are bound to disagree, but I like these guys. I'd keep them, especially in smaller games where board control is so crucial.

5 Pistoliers
90pts
+1 musician

2 x Great Cannon
200pts

Any leftover points should be invested in a bare bones unit of knights with a musician. If you don't have enough, add more handgunners to your detachments.

Total: 1,432

-------------

There are some free points there still, and I'm reluctant to fill them up with anything other than items because of my monetary restrictions. I think it's pretty tasty list with the amount of shooting, but without being too reliant on the shooting phase. The BSB is, I know, a huge points drop, but, as I say, I'm more interested in an army which I feel is exciting than an army that will win everytime. (Currently I'll need to buy the warrior priest, the battle standard, the pistoliers and the huntsmen).

If there are points rearrangments or magic item suggestions or unit size suggestions that you have to offer I am eager to read them.

Cheers,

Bone[/QUOTE]

sirbone
27-05-2009, 07:08
Cheers again- that's some really useful advice there. I'm going to be ordering the new models soon, but I'll post a finished list when I have time.

lparigi34
28-05-2009, 03:28
He has a Lvl2 wizard and generates 2 dispel dice normally anyway...

P.107 BRB. Wizards LvL 1 and 2 generates 1DD each

P.107 BRB. Wizards LvL 3 and 4 generates 2DD each

CP is different, as each level generates one.

thebadger
28-05-2009, 11:47
P.107 BRB. Wizards LvL 1 and 2 generates 1DD each

P.107 BRB. Wizards LvL 3 and 4 generates 2DD each

CP is different, as each level generates one.

2DD standard + 1x Lvl 2 (1DD) + 1x Warrior Priest (1DD) = 4DD total for this list, from what I can see.

lparigi34
28-05-2009, 15:41
Geee... what did I drink last night!!! (actually I was celebrating Barca having won the Champions, and me being 1/2 Catalunian!!! I drank EVERYTHING!!!.).

Sure, the WP generates the 4th one. Thanks!!!