PDA

View Full Version : New Army Dilemma...

Imperius
26-05-2009, 00:23
Ok so I started playing as the Imperial Guard at the beggining of January but for the summer I am leaving Canada to go around Europe and stay for a month or so with my grand parents and the Canadian dollar is a heck of a lot more valuable in their country and I can buy a lot of GW stuff.

The thing is, I don't want to alienate them with some wacky new Tyranid army, a Daemon army which would probably be considered anti-christ, and I dont want to keep going with Imperial Guard, which is probably the one
thing they could relate to.

What should I do? Is there an army that still can be considered normal, or do I have to make a shift into Fantasy and buy a bunch of human-looking models?
______
I could try to explain that Space Marines are actually people inside suits of armour, sort of like knights but I want them interested in the game, and not worried that I mgiht become a depraved glue-sniffer.

Lord Raneus
26-05-2009, 00:26
Guard's really the only human army. Space Marines can be visibly human without helmets, Chaos Marines are a little too gribbly.

What about Tau/Eldar? Tau are pretty much your standard sci-fi army, they can't object to that.

Drakon
26-05-2009, 01:32
Inquistion - you already have the allies but you could do a full gk band.

MasterDecoy
26-05-2009, 01:37
eldar would be my vote too, human looking enough to not be scary, with enough background to be intresting to people who dont know/care about warhammer

Gen.Steiner
26-05-2009, 01:56
More different Imperial Guard? :angel: I say go for Sisters of Battle/Inquisition - you could even use Necromunda Arbites models in your force...!

Imperius
26-05-2009, 03:26
Hmm, isn't the Inquisition kind of 'sucky' though? and I wouldn't be using Witch Hunters, to pole dancey, knowing my relatives they will send me to a priest for committing the sin of lust.

Warsurge
26-05-2009, 04:11
I would have to say Daemonhunters if you want the most human-like army. You can have a bit of Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Witch Hunters all rolled into the Daemonhunter army. You don't have to though. You can field a entire Grey Knights force which to me is totally badass, but are in such a small number because of that.

Just because you play a daemon army or chaos army does not mean you are automatically associated with being some sort of Satanist (Unless you dress like one and say "Hail Satan" 24/7)

Don't let people tell you what army you can and can't play. Just play what you think is best.

Gen.Steiner
26-05-2009, 08:15
Hmm, isn't the Inquisition kind of 'sucky' though? and I wouldn't be using Witch Hunters, to pole dancey, knowing my relatives they will send me to a priest for committing the sin of lust.

Then use Adeptus Arbites (stormtroopers) and Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (stormtroopers! :p) with some Space Marine/Grey Knight allies and chuck in an Assassin or two (Eversor, anyone?).

To be honest, tho', from your descriptions of your Grandparents, your best bet is to hide whatever army you take from them, or, better yet, see if one of the local GWs will hold onto your army while you're there...! Also, what country do they live in?

Imperius
27-05-2009, 00:32
My grandparents are from poland and are very religious. I'm a Catholic too, but the are really devout.
Thanks for your tips though.

_______
This means there are 0 GW shops. But there is a cytadela (citadel) shop set up near warsaw.

Gen.Steiner
28-05-2009, 01:29
Ah, yes, as soon as you said 'Poland' it all clicked. Why not disguise yourself by doing a small force of Black Templars? "No, Gran, these are Templar knights in space! Remember, urrrm, Tannenberg 1412*?" :p

* This date is wrong.

FashaTheDog
28-05-2009, 01:41
You could always bite the bullet and take your lumps by going full blown Slaanesh.

Barring alienating your relatives, like the others said Space Marines would likely be a good way to go as could Eldar. Sisters of Battle are not a bad option either if you avoid Repentia. Their iconography might even help the sell. Since you're across the Pond, you could also look to say forget a new army for now and load up on the Forgeworld goodies.

Another option is to wait until you are almost ready to leave for home and then buy what you want so that you need not risk offending the family at all. I know if I were to have the time to spend an entire summer in Europe (would come after hiking the Appalachian Trail, probably northbound), I would have little time for Warhammer anyway, especially if I went to see family.

galahad67
28-05-2009, 01:47
Black templars might be the best option - do some research and give them nice polish hero names... perhaps from the poles who fought with the western allies in WW2? Didn't some of them eventually settle in Canada?

Tau, on the other hand, are nice looking models and do not tread on any religous symbols or such. and tau will allow you to use your guard as an inducted force in an apoc game.

Eldar are OK as long as you don't focus on the avatar as deamon aspect. asumen and dire avengers in a wave serpent is a nice place to start.

Imperius
28-05-2009, 01:55
give them nice polish hero names... perhaps from the poles who fought with the western allies in WW2?

I actually lol'ed at this. Sure the Polish were brave in WWII, but whew, we sucked.

Edit:
Black Templars could be good, but I might paint them with grey knight colours and Knights Templar iconography. Hugh de Payens as Emperors Champion anyone?

Gen.Steiner
28-05-2009, 10:14
I actually lol'ed at this. Sure the Polish were brave in WWII, but whew, we sucked.

Well, there wasn't much the Polish Army could do against the Red Army and the Whermacht, but the Polish forces fighting with the British did rather well in North Africa, Italy, and Normandy (e.g. Popski's Private Army, Monte Cassino, Caen). Not to mention the Armija Krajowa and the Warsaw Uprising. ;)

Edit:
Black Templars could be good, but I might paint them with grey knight colours and Knights Templar iconography. Hugh de Payens as Emperors Champion anyone?

Yes! Yes! Do it! Do it! Catholic-Imperial Warrior Monks in SPAAACE!! :D

Dr. Hellbeast
28-05-2009, 10:22

Going up against tanks with cavalry takes some serious stones.

MetalGecko23
28-05-2009, 10:24
Yeah go Templars..atleast go with the awesome modeling stuff. Maybe not rules, doesn't matter really, but the bitz are top notch. Though you could paint them in the Iron Fist scheme cuz its cool.
Or you could just spend your money and stock up on models. Don't open them and don't paint them. Finish your guard. Then when you get home you can work with all your new models and don't have to offend your nana and papa.

StefDa
28-05-2009, 11:19
For some reason I feel like starting Space Marines right now.

Hood
28-05-2009, 12:21
Papa-Sigismund wants YOU to join the Black Templars!

Gen.Steiner
28-05-2009, 20:13
Going up against tanks with cavalry takes some serious stones.

That never actually happened... but it's a good myth. :)

cotillion989
28-05-2009, 20:30
Wow this thread just induced a flashback... I remember when I first started playing Fantasy... in 3rd grade, early 90s. My parents actually had a talk with me to make sure I knew that the magic in this game isn't real but that Demons are real and that anything associating with them will bring bad things into your life blah blah blah. If I remember correctly my response was: "Mom, these are plastic toys, I'm 9... not retarded."

Imperius
28-05-2009, 23:17
Ok So I though about it,
Chapter Master Richard Platagenet
HQ Emperors Champion Hugh (Hugues) de Payens
2 Squads of Space Marines seargeant Andre St. Clair, and Master or Novices, Brother Justin
A couple Neophytes acting as squires.
1 Squad of Assault Marines
1 Leman Russ Battle Tank :P

I did read the Templar books by Jack Whyte, so I picked the names from there lol.
...Imagine me using de Ridefort....
Just wondering though, is the Templar upgrade kit in conjunction with the spacve marine box, or are they seperate? Do I need the space marines box to make Templars, or can I jsut use the upgrade pack? And lastly, can I cut up some old space marines that are already assembled and make them Black Templars?

Hood
28-05-2009, 23:54
In order to make Black Templars you use the convensional marine kits (AKA vanilla/Ultra marines boxes). The upgrade kit only includes cosmetic bits like BT shoulderpads, chained weapons, Kighty helms etc etc. You can search the forum for threads that can show you what the chapter upgrade kit contains.

You can make BT without buying upgrade kids just by painting the marines in the corresponding theme and using some BT econography on them. So I guess you can use the old space marines for that.

The main problem will be the lack of CCW/pistol... Usually you use BT with CCW/pistol and you will have to find some extra bits for that purpose. Again, you can search the forum for a similar thread that suggests easy ways to get some CCW/Pistol bits other than the upgrade kit (see Blood Claws box).

Gen.Steiner
29-05-2009, 06:48
One Upgrade set, some Blood Claws and a box of Tac Marines and a couple of Scouts should do you alright, I think.