PDA

View Full Version : Warshrine FAQ

Drachen_Jager
26-05-2009, 04:08
Is it just me or does this FAQ answer show that the person writing it didn't read the entry on warshrines before giving the answer?

Q. If the Warshrine is destroyed or otherwise
removed from play, does the last unit to be
blessed by it retain the gift?
A. Yes it does, unless another Warshrine
attempts to roll a better result for it.

In the army book it clearly states that a unit may receive benefits from multiple warshrines "Note that it is possible for the same unit to reap the benefit of several rewards in this manner during a single turn due to the effects of multiple warshrines."

The FAQ answer doesn't make much sense to me in that context.

Not that I care, I don't plan on running multiple warshrines, it just seems odd.

Loq-Gor
26-05-2009, 04:34
No, that seems about par for FAQs. For example the OK FAQ uses the example of O&G buying ironguts as DoW, even though the OK DoW rule very clearly states that those units may be purchased only by armies that have the roster entry for DoW (which, according to info I received on the publication of that FAQ, the O&G no longer had at the time of the FAQ's publication). This is why they say that the FAQs are very much soft rules.

WLBjork
26-05-2009, 05:58
That's due to GW changing the rules for the purchase of DoW, then revamping the site and removing the rule.

Only old 6th edition army books (which includes OK) have DoW "slots" any more.

All other DoW units can be purchased by any army listed in the DoW unit's entry.

Tae
26-05-2009, 10:30
I think that line is put in to cover one result in particular - 10 and 11.

If the dead warshrine had made someone cause fear and then a second warshrine later made them cause terror, then would not the second result override/cancel the first one?

Though I must admit, I don't agree with their use of the term "attempts".

Atrahasis
26-05-2009, 11:06
It wouldn't override/cancel/replace it, there's no conflict between causing fear and causing terror.

The FAQ response is just twoddle.

Isabel
26-05-2009, 11:17
I'm guessing a 2nd warshrine can attempt to replace a roll of 2 from a previous warshrine roll. I understand that it saies the character is stupid for the rest of the game but it also saies you can use the warshrine to negate previous effects.

Warshrine 1 gives stupidity before it is destroyed

Warshrine 2 replaces stupidity with a better result.

Just a guess.

Atrahasis
26-05-2009, 11:27
Warshrines don't work like that; that's the entire point.

T10
26-05-2009, 13:19
Well, a Warshrine allows the target unit a roll on the Eye of the Gods table. If it does this then any previous result applied that unit (or another unit) is cancelled. However, if you are pleased with the result you may decide to keep it, in which case the Warshrine can't be used to grant a new result.

To me, this sounds like the effect is generated and maintained by the Warshrine, which means it should cease to apply if the Warshrine is destroyed. The FAQ, however, says otherwise, even though it alludes to the Warshrine functioning in a very different manner than it actually does.

So... The effect persists until you roll for a new result. The destruction of the Warshrine is irrelveant.

-T10

Atrahasis
26-05-2009, 13:33
The result from a particular warshrine persists until that particular warshrine grants another roll. (Different) Results from different warshrines stack.

T10
26-05-2009, 13:49
The specific result determined when using the Warshrine's special ability is specifically generated by that Warshrine and is considered to be in effect until the aforementioned Warshrine makes use of its option to generate a new result, in which case the same restrictions apply to this new result as applied to the previous result.

-T10

tarrasque
26-05-2009, 22:47
the faq are more like guidlines anyway.

Paz
27-05-2009, 12:13
the faq are more like guidlines anyway.

yea, sure. we dont have to listen to them!