PDA

View Full Version : All things Rackham

Papa Dan
26-05-2009, 10:09
Hi,
Im nowadays more comonly known as Dangereux but as I dont want to start a new account I still go by the name of Papa Dan here. I also run the blog Le Dragon du Nord, where I post all pictures of my work and some painting articles as well. But as several people have asked me to do a plog here Ive decided to do so.

It wont be updated every week but I'll try to do it as often as possible. First off I will post two finnished projects done for a Convention held last weekend called LinCon here in Sweden. The Nemesis didnt score but my Anakonga got a 1st place.

Both are from Rackhams prepainted range, wich I have converted quite heavily, cleaned, primed and repainted from scratch. Hope you like them. Now a playable orc army of 3000p for CAoR are in the pipeline, but I will not paint the whole army at once, rather take a unit and then do some thing else (like repainting my Red Blok for AT-43) before switching back.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/7b-1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/4b-1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/3b-1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/6b-1.jpg

Papa Dan
26-05-2009, 10:11
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/4b.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/5b.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/3b.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/6b.jpg

GundamMecha
26-05-2009, 10:12
Great work, I'm a huge Rackham fan and was really disapointed when they moved to prepaints more and more.

I love the AT-43 concepts and sculpts but hate the fact they are prepainted.

How did you find working with them? Did you strip the paints first or just overcoat? I Considered overcoating but heard that on vehicles they use embossed transfers that leave visable raised marks even when painted over?

Papa Dan
26-05-2009, 10:20
Great work, I'm a huge Rackham fan and was really disapointed when they moved to prepaints more and more.

I love the AT-43 concepts and sculpts but hate the fact they are prepainted.

How did you find working with them? Did you strip the paints first or just overcoat? I Considered overcoating but heard that on vehicles they use embossed transfers that leave visable raised marks even when painted over?

Thanks alot! Well, I didnt strip any paint off on the Karman, I just took away the mold lines with a sharp modelling knife. With the Nemesis I took away some paint (like on all blades) by scraping carefully with the knife. Some details aren't as good as the old metals as the prepaint-paint slightly obscure some finer stuff. But over all they are still very good and very fun to paint.

One aspect that I like alot is that it is so much easier to convert them now when they are plastic. So I will do alot more of that then I would with the metal range.

I have yet to try doing a complete repaint of a vehicle. I have just done some improvements. But this is coming next after I have done a unit of Orcs so stay tuned and I'll let you know!

Cheers!

GundamMecha
26-05-2009, 10:25
The quality of the pre paint paint was a real concern for me too. I was put off initially by the fact that it could be applied very heavily and obscure details...

Also I heard numerous horror stories about terrible mould lines left on before prepainting.

Looking at your photos though you've really encouraged me to give it a go, you've managed great results and you'd be hard pressed to know that these were ever prepainted at all. No only that but you've brought fantastic colour schemes and effects that really bring these sculpts to life.

Thanks also for the tips and feedback on these. How is the quality of the plastic? I had heard that it was the bendy type? Like you get with clix figures and other cheap collectables?

Papa Dan
26-05-2009, 10:43
The quality of the pre paint paint was a real concern for me too. I was put off initially by the fact that it could be applied very heavily and obscure details...

Also I heard numerous horror stories about terrible mould lines left on before prepainting.

Looking at your photos though you've really encouraged me to give it a go, you've managed great results and you'd be hard pressed to know that these were ever prepainted at all. No only that but you've brought fantastic colour schemes and effects that really bring these sculpts to life.

Thanks also for the tips and feedback on these. How is the quality of the plastic? I had heard that it was the bendy type? Like you get with clix figures and other cheap collectables?

Nice to hear that you got inspired! :) The plastic is quite hard, not as bendy as some other companies stuff are. Have you got the unpainted plastic Aberration Prime kit (it is excellent by the way and the only unpainted plastic kit that Rackham ever produced), it is exactly the same as that one. Slightly flexible but still hard.

I feel that the paint is worse on some of the Confrontation stuff than it is for AT-43 when it comes to thickness of paint. Especially some of the griffin miniatures. It will still look good repainted though!

GundamMecha
26-05-2009, 10:46
Have you got the unpainted plastic Aberration Prime kit (it is excellent by the way and the only unpainted plastic kit that Rackham ever produced), it is exactly the same as that one. Slightly flexible but still hard.

Sadly I don't have that kit, when it first came out I got really excited about Rackham moving forward in a good direction. Then AT-43 happened...

Are these still being sold? I've been after one of the Resin Dragons but Fire Industries is now shut down so I don't think these resins are produced anymore at all. Not sure about the plastics though.

Papa Dan
26-05-2009, 10:56
Sadly I don't have that kit, when it first came out I got really excited about Rackham moving forward in a good direction. Then AT-43 happened...

Are these still being sold? I've been after one of the Resin Dragons but Fire Industries is now shut down so I don't think these resins are produced anymore at all. Not sure about the plastics though.

The old resins are hard to get, I want the Wyrm too! You can still find Plastic Abe though at some e-stores! :)

tortoise
26-05-2009, 12:47
Good to see your log is up and running.

Both models are fantastic. I hadn't seen the Karman before- seriously impressive. Now lets see some of your orcs!

Papa Dan
26-05-2009, 13:15
Good to see your log is up and running.

Both models are fantastic. I hadn't seen the Karman before- seriously impressive. Now lets see some of your orcs!

Thanks a lot man! Appreciate it! Yeah, I'll start on the Orcs next week (I ve been painting like a madman to finnish the Karman in time so I have promised my wife and kids to spend some more time with them first) or I will start with one orc to settle all techniques before getting a whole unit done. I know how to do the skin but have to work a bit with the other stuff.

Now is just the question on where to start. I think I'll try with a regular Amok but Im eager to start with both Kal Shadar, Avangorok and The Son of Thunder too :) While the largest unit is a unit of Crossbowmen that will need a whole lot of attention.

Tommygun
26-05-2009, 13:29
I really like the pose on the second figure.
It reminds me a bit of the robot from neon genesis.
It is probable the head shape and long body.
Very nice work.

tortoise
26-05-2009, 17:43
Thanks a lot man! Appreciate it! Yeah, I'll start on the Orcs next week (I ve been painting like a madman to finnish the Karman in time so I have promised my wife and kids to spend some more time with them first) or I will start with one orc to settle all techniques before getting a whole unit done. I know how to do the skin but have to work a bit with the other stuff.

Now is just the question on where to start. I think I'll try with a regular Amok but Im eager to start with both Kal Shadar, Avangorok and The Son of Thunder too :) While the largest unit is a unit of Crossbowmen that will need a whole lot of attention.

The Amoks are such nice models, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with them. I've also got an Avangorok waiting for some attention but he's quite low down the list of things to do at the moment.

Me personally I'd start with a normal Amok to get the colours sorted out then move straight on to Kal Shadar. I'm not a patient kind of guy and there's nothing worse than painting a bunch of troops then finally getting to paint the really cool character model and finding that actually you're just bored and out of patience with the colour scheme. Thats just me though. Ohter people seem to be able to paint a hundred models the same to a great standard. Don't know how they do it really.

Papa Dan
27-05-2009, 06:18
The Amoks are such nice models, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with them. I've also got an Avangorok waiting for some attention but he's quite low down the list of things to do at the moment.

Me personally I'd start with a normal Amok to get the colours sorted out then move straight on to Kal Shadar. I'm not a patient kind of guy and there's nothing worse than painting a bunch of troops then finally getting to paint the really cool character model and finding that actually you're just bored and out of patience with the colour scheme. Thats just me though. Ohter people seem to be able to paint a hundred models the same to a great standard. Don't know how they do it really.

Yeah, I agree with you, Im also the unpatient type. Guess I'll follow your tip! :) Got to get hold of some white primer though. I use black in some cases but now I try to work with only Rackham colours and they are in need of a bright surface to really work. I might try and go the grisailles rout with the orcs. Undercoating white, then applying midtones and shadows with an airbrush from below to get some preshading and then glace the colours from the very start to let the grisailles shine through.

BoyMilla
27-05-2009, 06:37
Some amazing work here!

Your painting is outstanding.

I've always only been into GW, heard of Rackham but never really seen their mini's and never bothered to find out.
No idea what Amoks are, but with your painting I can't wait to find out!

I'm off to Google Rackham, thanks for the inspiration!

BM

Papa Dan
28-05-2009, 06:41
Some amazing work here!

Your painting is outstanding.

I've always only been into GW, heard of Rackham but never really seen their mini's and never bothered to find out.
No idea what Amoks are, but with your painting I can't wait to find out!

I'm off to Google Rackham, thanks for the inspiration!

BM

Thanks alot! Rackham have ended their metal range as it didnt sell so well as they were hoping, there are still some metals around at different stores though and they are all brilliant. I love their prepaints too and both miniatures posted here are from that range. As they are plastic they are easy to convert and repaint and for gaming I can pick up stuff and play directly.

It would have been perfect if they kept both lines though. They have instead started a Resin line in an amazing quality for the hobbyist, just 3 miniatures right now, but next week more will be released and then we will get several monthly releases, so yeah, I recomend you to check out the Rackham stuff if your just in for a game or high end painting! :)

Papa Dan
28-05-2009, 06:44
Started painting an Amok yesterday, just got the skin done on one arm. I almost feel criminal painting orcs brown/tann but I sort of like it at the same time and I really like to deviate from the GW green.

I'll try to get time to start with the face and take pictures this evening so hopefully I'll make a picture post tomorrow.

EDIT: And I just want to add that I didnt go for the venecian Grisailles technique this time as I was eager to get started and it takes some preparation to do that stuff. I promise to do a tutorial on the matter later on though, probably with the crossbow orcs.

GundamMecha
28-05-2009, 09:12
I just went to the Rackham online store....

Rackham Legends is now just resin? WTF? This is terrible. I am totally gutted. They had so many fantastic metals in that range only just recently that I wanted to get but never got the chance.

I was using alot of Rackham undead metals for my vampire counts, this really is a knock back. Guess I have to search the indi stores and ebay now...

Another terrible blow to Rackham, such great models and amazing artwork and they killed it with prepaints... I sincerely hope GW never follows that example.

Papa Dan
28-05-2009, 09:44
I just went to the Rackham online store....

Rackham Legends is now just resin? WTF? This is terrible. I am totally gutted. They had so many fantastic metals in that range only just recently that I wanted to get but never got the chance.

I was using alot of Rackham undead metals for my vampire counts, this really is a knock back. Guess I have to search the indi stores and ebay now...

Another terrible blow to Rackham, such great models and amazing artwork and they killed it with prepaints... I sincerely hope GW never follows that example.

Well I hope that my Karman and Nemesis above shows that you can do great stuff from the hobbyist viewpoint too with the prepaints and the resin line will grow so you will still have some awsome miniatures there. Ofcourse I would love to have seen the metals live on but a company have to earn money to survive and I think this was a wise step. A lot of the metals are still around in different e-stores.

Well I think GW are killing themselves anyway as things are going right now, but I want to stay out of that and I want this thread to be about hobby aspects ONLY! :)

tortoise
28-05-2009, 09:59
Started painting an Amok yesterday, just got the skin done on one arm. I almost feel criminal painting orcs brown/tann but I sort of like it at the same time and I really like to deviate from the GW green.

I'll try to get time to start with the face and take pictures this evening so hopefully I'll make a picture post tomorrow.

EDIT: And I just want to add that I didnt go for the venecian Grisailles technique this time as I was eager to get started and it takes some preparation to do that stuff. I promise to do a tutorial on the matter later on though, probably with the crossbow orcs.

I've never tried that technique but I'd like to. A tutorial would be very appreciated.

GundamMecha
28-05-2009, 11:12
I second tortoise's motion. What is the technique and what kind of results does it give? Sounds interesting.

Papa Dan
28-05-2009, 11:37
I second tortoise's motion. What is the technique and what kind of results does it give? Sounds interesting.

Basicly it is the mother of renaissance painting and then developed into different branches. It was a way to get natural and vivid light into a painting with the paints that were available at that point in time. In very short the artist first drew a black and white picture as prefect as they could before glacing the canvas with pigments. This can be transfered to miniatures too easily and it is basicly what is known as preshading. Although all materials shouldnt have the same values for the mids, highlights and shadows wich is the case for regular preshading.

It can be cumbersome but I like the idea of carrying on 400-500year old traditions like that and it also strengthens the idea of miniature painting as an art form.

If done in a simpler way it can actually speed up the process in the end if you look for a higher tabletop standard for instance.

GundamMecha
28-05-2009, 11:45
Thats really interesting, I've read a few articles on preshading in scale models but have never used the technique myself, prefering to use filters and pigments.

A tutorial on how this applies to 28mm figures would be really interesting.

Papa Dan
29-05-2009, 06:35
Painted the face of the orc yesterday, I still both like and dislike the brown skin, but I guess I'll get used to it, it is different and very cool in a way. It is sort of a tribute to Bonner, just love his early orc stuff for Confrontation.

I actually took some pictures and lay the memory card on the kitchen table but then forgott it when I had to rush for work. So I guess I'll have to wait with posting pictures until monday (need to upload stuff from work). Hope to show even more progress by then though.

BoyMilla
29-05-2009, 07:51
You're a tease! Can't wait to see pics!

BM

Papa Dan
01-06-2009, 08:20
Hi guys! As promised here are some early WIP shots, didnt have time to take photos of the latest progress, painted most of the non metallic areas minus the right arm. I feel that I was a bit hasty, eager to finnish him, still a lot to do though and Im still not sure about the colours. I have also repainted the eyebrows redbrown to make him a bit more menacing. The blue need some adjustment too, it is a bit purple right now wich isnt right, but maybe I'll leave it on this one and change it on the next. That is a good thing with orcs, some skin variety doesnt look wrong.

I will probably mute the flesh some too for the other amoks but we'll se, I tend to change my mind alot! :) I will add some goblins to the army too and they will also be brown but brighter and paler. Old orcs (like the son of thunder) will have more desaturated skin colour.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/AMOK1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/AMOK2.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/AMOK3.jpg

tortoise
01-06-2009, 08:56
Christ on a bike that's good. I really like the skin tone though as you say, variety is one of the great things about painting orcs.

I want to go finish my Kal Shadar right now, and probably start on another amok too.

Papa Dan
01-06-2009, 09:09
Christ on a bike that's good. I really like the skin tone though as you say, variety is one of the great things about painting orcs.

I want to go finish my Kal Shadar right now, and probably start on another amok too.

Wow, thanks Tortoise, that means alot to me! I'd love to see your Kal finnished, it looks insanely good allready.

GundamMecha
01-06-2009, 13:40
Looks great Papa, I agree totally with tortoise.

Really striking skin tone and a fantastic face! The warpaint in particular is very good.

I like the way you approach painting, doing the face and skin first, very interesting :)

Papa Dan
08-06-2009, 06:55
Hi guys, sorry that it took so long to update, but here you have some progress, metallics as you can see. Hope you like where this is heading:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/AMOK4.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/AMOK6.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/AMOK5.jpg

And here's another project for sort of a group paint, trying to motivate the Confrontation board to paint a miniature from the Cadwallon range as a tribute to the great city. This one will be NMM, lots of stuff left to do:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Cadwe-Agit1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Cadwe-Agit3.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Cadwe-Agit2.jpg

tortoise
08-06-2009, 12:35
Simply jaw dropping. The blending is incredible, so is the light sourcing. I demand you give me the recipe for the Cadwallon goblin's robes or I shall be forced to KIDNAP YOUR CAT! (do you have a cat?)

Papa Dan
08-06-2009, 13:08
Thank you very much T! Well no cat, three kids are enough I tell you! ;)

If I remember I'll check the colours when Im back home just to be sure, but if Im not entirely wrong I used a mix of diisha green/precious blue/grey of darkness for the base colour. Shaded by adding a medium blue (dont remember the name) and abyssal blue.

Highlighted by adding noesis white and the nearer the head and shoulder I came I added more and more parchment yellow. Something like that, all Rackham clours.

Satan
09-06-2009, 10:47
What can I say - it's a flawless paintjob. Can't wait to see the finished products.

GundamMecha
09-06-2009, 10:51
Amazing Goblin Papa! Actually it's my favourite so far!

I agree with tortoise, the light sourcing is spot on, thats something I often have trouble with myself!

Hammer49
09-06-2009, 18:44
Stunning work!

BoyMilla
10-06-2009, 06:26
Just gonna say what's been said, but can't keep silent.

That is some beautiful work! The light sourcing on the robes is superb.
And the NMM is just amazing.

You truly make mini painting an art form.

BM

Lord Azoth
10-06-2009, 09:37
amazing paint job..your blendings are awesome..as the colour scheme you used..you really have good taste

Papa Dan
10-06-2009, 12:48
Thanks alot to everyone, very kind words and that is some times hard to take to heart but Im trying to improve there :) Im glad you like what you see even though Im quite unsatisfied myself, but I think that might be the engine of artistry... to never be pleased with your creations and that that will bring you forward, progression...

Once again, thanks!

Im a commuter and they have problems with the railway here so that triples my travelling time so not much energy left to painting aftar all that travelling and then taking care of kids, house... well you know, real life. So I guess it will take until after the weekend before I have any real updates.

Take care!

tortoise
10-06-2009, 19:28
Thanks alot to everyone, very kind words and that is some times hard to take to heart but Im trying to improve there :) Im glad you like what you see even though Im quite unsatisfied myself, but I think that might be the engine of artistry... to never be pleased with your creations and that that will bring you forward, progression...

I think that, plus a combination of the deep familiarity the artist has with their own work that means you can never see it how other people do.

Papa Dan
16-06-2009, 12:03
Yeah, guess your right Tortoise. Any progress yourself?

No painting done here yet, have been and still is kind of ill. Got Iraem though from the Rackham Legends range (new rackham range). See my complete review and many pictures at: http://ledragondunord.blogspot.com/

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Iraem1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Iraem4.jpg

The Syko Ward
16-06-2009, 18:52
Wow!! Your painting is awesome! You really make those figs pop!
I've loved the Rackham figs since they first came out but they were so expensive. But when my local hobby store started blowing 'em out at upto 60% off for the old metals I started stocking up on some of Dwarves and Wolfen. Can't wait to see more of your amazing painting.

GundamMecha
17-06-2009, 09:45
wow thats an impressive sculpt! How do you find the Rackham resins compare to Forgeworld figures?

I have always found historical resins to be fantastic quality, and Forgeworld ones less so.

Papa Dan
02-07-2009, 09:35
Gundam: Sorry that I missed this one, the resins are of very very high quality.

Finally finnished my Cadwe Agitator, another brownskin, hope you like him! :)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/1b-2.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/2b-2.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/3b-2.jpg

Please vote at:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/226144

GundamMecha
02-07-2009, 10:16
Thanks thats interesting to know, don't worry I've been unable to post here myself the last 10 days I've been overseas in Korea! I may end up trying some of the Rackham Resins, I was always very impressed with the quality of their metal range in terms of casting.

This Cadwe figure is just wonderful. Really fantastic painting and a joy to see.

BoyMilla
03-07-2009, 07:18
Great stuff!

The blends/lighting on the robes is awesome! My only tiny critism would be the raised foot, the underside looks a little flat compared to the rest of the model. This could be due to the light source (being in direct light).

Beautiful model tho!
How are the Amoks comin?

BM

Papa Dan
30-11-2009, 12:00
Oh, realise I havnt updated this thread for ages. Sorry everyone, Ive been bussy painting though so thats a good thing. The brown orc project is on the shelf though, but Ive made another green skin wich I hope you like, and below him a crazy ass dwarf I did as a comission paint job. Hope you all enjoy, feel free to vote too.

http://coolminiornot.com/238117

http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/img4b1370a36a0ea.jpg

http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/img4ae6a5e18b8c1.jpg

Satan
30-11-2009, 12:14
Oh, but we forgive since you bring such niiiiice updates after all!

Both models are ace of course, my heart goes out to the Mid-Nor dwarf especially on account of the fantastic light effects.

Papa Dan
01-12-2009, 14:29
Oh, but we forgive since you bring such niiiiice updates after all!

Both models are ace of course, my heart goes out to the Mid-Nor dwarf especially on account of the fantastic light effects.

Many many thanks Satan! (boy that sounds odd) :D

wizzard
02-12-2009, 17:52
Wow, papa Dan, your work is amazing.
Even if i wanted could not see anything to criticize about.

I envy you.

Really like your NMM skills, i would really like a tutorial on how you do both gold and metallic NMM.

Papa Dan
04-12-2009, 08:14
Wow, papa Dan, your work is amazing.
Even if i wanted could not see anything to criticize about.

I envy you.

Really like your NMM skills, i would really like a tutorial on how you do both gold and metallic NMM.

Thanks alot Wizzard. I'd love to do some tutorials at some point in time but right now my life is too hectic.

I can really recomend Rackhams colours for NMM (thats what I use) as I think they are extremely good for that sort of blending. It is sort of like learning to walk again though as it behaves very differently from citadel paints for instance. A nother important point is that in some cases pigments can wear off with moist even after some drying time so if you want to game with them it is really quite necessary to varnish them.

I can also recomend a newly started forum by me and some other guys (old rackham fan boys mostly) in wich we try to help each other with painting etc.

www.dragonpainting.net

/Papa aka Dangereux

Kasrkin 666
06-12-2009, 04:20
Wow, your painting is amazing! So flawless!

-Sunny

Putty
07-12-2009, 08:18
sublime blending.

*subscribed*

Satan
07-12-2009, 11:24
I got a hold of a copy of Hybrid and Nemesis just yesterday, and though I have painted Rackham mini's before your log has got me a bit hooked on getting some good out of them so I can enjoy a game with lots of theme in the grim catacombs and laboratories of Aarklash...

I would sincerely love to see you paint a set of Hybrid mini's!

wizzard
08-12-2009, 23:59
Hey papa Dan,

Thnx for that link, have been watching that forum, and its good, will register there soon.

Papa Dan
10-12-2009, 07:27
Thanks again guys! Yeah Satan, those games rock, and Id love to do a whole 3d hybrid setting at some point. Im a big Dirz fan.

I remember you doing a great Aberration convertion right?

I havnt posted a lot at warseer beacuse of the GW dominance but if you want to I'll post some more.

Right now Im working on a full 400p army for Confrontation, doing Cynwall. Heres a test miniature I did wich Im quite happy with. Ofcourse he is not up to the standard of the above posted ones but I cant spend around 40hrs on each miniature in a full army intended for gaming purposes. I will only spend time on characters and try making the rest reasonably quick.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/as6-1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/as7.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/as9.jpg

And the gaming force here:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Cynwall.jpg

Fredmans
16-12-2009, 19:46
Wow, Dan, wow. Your Becbunzen (?) and Mid-Nor dwarf are amazing. They are not even looking like miniatures at all. If I saw those pictures outside this forum, I would guess that they were art-work. I am curious as to how amazing your Cynwall force will be.

/Fredmans

captian Maklai
16-12-2009, 21:38
I've just skipped through the thread looking at pictures, as you do....:confused: And am just wondering if you've painted these minatures, if so could you please give some tips, techniques, or tutorials to a gamer such as myself please?:chrome:

Papa Dan
17-12-2009, 07:34
Wow, Dan, wow. Your Becbunzen (?) and Mid-Nor dwarf are amazing. They are not even looking like miniatures at all. If I saw those pictures outside this forum, I would guess that they were art-work. I am curious as to how amazing your Cynwall force will be.

/Fredmans

Thanks alot Fredman, the Cynwall will not be of the same quality as it will be a gameing force, so high tabletop standard is what Im aiming for here. :)

Papa Dan
17-12-2009, 07:35
I've just skipped through the thread looking at pictures, as you do....:confused: And am just wondering if you've painted these minatures, if so could you please give some tips, techniques, or tutorials to a gamer such as myself please?:chrome:

Thanks alot Maklai, well, theres a whole lot to think about when painting on this level, if you have any more specific questions I'd be glad to help you!

Papa Dan
17-12-2009, 07:38
Hi guys,
My cynwall did take a u turn and ended up rather green...
I wanted to make them look a bit more dark, aged and mystic. To the ortodox I will probably be called a heathen to intepret my elves like this. I want them to be wise and weary, tired of their almost everlasting lives and the constant quarells of the lesser races.

Anyway, here's my first test miniature. Note that this is painted for the tabletop and shouldnt be compared or judged like my display work.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/selsym1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/selsym2.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/selsym3.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/selsym4.jpg

Kasrkin 666
17-12-2009, 16:35
I like it!

-Sunny

spekkiebig
21-12-2009, 07:08
This is some very inspiring painting Dangereux. I'm not very familiar with the Rackham range but these models look great.

Papa Dan
01-01-2010, 18:30
Next update, my Khidaryms done. Hope you like him and hope I'll have the stamina to paint the rest of the army. :)

http://coolminiornot.com/240256

http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/img4b3e30f979ec1.jpg

Heres a couple of WIPs for another project:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Abe3.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Abe4.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb104/tribeofdan_2007/Kal6.jpg