PDA

View Full Version : The most dedicated 40K fan you know?

Venerable_Bede
26-05-2009, 22:21
Do you know someone who eats,drinks and breathes 40K? Someone who buys one of everything GW makes. Someone who's life revolves around the game?

Share your stories of them.

xerxeshavelock
26-05-2009, 22:31
I am expecting a lot of people to say "I am".

Kirasu
26-05-2009, 23:34
Well the first task would be to distinguish the "buying addicts" IE the guys who have boxes and boxes of unbuilt stuff sitting on the floor somewhere and those who just play a ton

There is a difference between someone who just puts an entire retail store on his CC and never plays and someone who really plays the game day and night

EldarBishop
26-05-2009, 23:41
I used to be, with 4+ armies for both 40k and Fantasy. Playing games about 5 days a week.

However, due to real life, now I'm lucky if I can get in 2 games in a month... and buying is basically stopped to things I need to complete current projects/lists. And I don't forsee anything new for a while either.

Tourniquet
27-05-2009, 00:38
The guy who used to run my old FLGS had 7 armies of 3k+ on the go at onece, had 3 thunder hawks, 2 titans a score of other FW and 3 40k based tattoo's (Imperial Eagle on the right shoulder "scratched" out, Khorn's Icon on his Left and a Chaos star on his right shoulder blade

Havent spoken to him in years but i figure he still plays

Imperius
27-05-2009, 03:29
Anyone who goes to Gamesworkshop 4+ times a week.
I could look at my friend, he has pretty much no income, but still goes there all the time to do nothing. He just watches people play and exclaims '0MG 1337.'
Hes been in the hobby for 2-3 years, has 1500 points of space marines, and 750 points of Guard. Other than that low point count, he lives, breathes, and sleeps 40k.
______
I also think one of my friends is turning into a glue-sniffer.

Forlorn
27-05-2009, 16:53
GW Staff. I've been to a few GW managers homes and seen the collection of figures they have. It was like Christmas morning and Santa was coming down the chimney!

sycopat
27-05-2009, 17:22
I'll have to second the staffer vote. I know a guy who finds it easier to list armies he doesn't have (Of which there are, I think, 3. 1 40k 2 fantasy) and I don't think he has any armies less than 3000 pts...

Laser guided fanatic
27-05-2009, 17:25
I once played this guy who whenever he killed someone on my team he proclaimed 'For The Emperor!'. Needless to say I let him win that game so I could get away.... far away.

Captain Micha
27-05-2009, 17:26
I know a guy that just about cried when Marneus Calgar got beat down by an Avatar of Khaine, and lost his Land Raider to Wraith Guard penetrating it with their Wraith Cannons.

cerealkiller195
27-05-2009, 18:45
I once played this guy who whenever he killed someone on my team he proclaimed 'For The Emperor!'. Needless to say I let him win that game so I could get away.... far away.

i have to ask what happened when he got kills off of template weapons? lol

Crube
27-05-2009, 18:58
Certain staffers certainly would get the tag, but hte one guy I know would get the accolade from me is Gordon Davidson, of WD fame.

He doesn't have hundreds of armies, but what he does have is well thought out, competitive and fluffy, well painted too... He is also a true fount of GW knowledge.

TO me he epitimises 40K and WFB

JCOLL
27-05-2009, 19:48
The guy who used to run my old FLGS had 7 armies of 3k+ on the go at onece, had 3 thunder hawks, 2 titans a score of other FW and 3 40k based tattoo's (Imperial Eagle on the right shoulder "scratched" out, Khorn's Icon on his Left and a Chaos star on his right shoulder blade

Havent spoken to him in years but i figure he still plays

That's dedication :O

Durath
27-05-2009, 20:40
The guy who used to run my old FLGS had 7 armies of 3k+ on the go at onece, had 3 thunder hawks, 2 titans a score of other FW

Reading this part just told me the guy has more disposable income than I do. If my bank account permitted it, I'd be hip deep in FW stuff and Titans too!

Then I read this...

3 40k based tattoo's (Imperial Eagle on the right shoulder "scratched" out, Khorn's Icon on his Left and a Chaos star on his right shoulder blade.

When people start adorning their bodies with permanent ink, that's when I start raising eyebrows.

I can understand the Chaos symbol as a tatoo. It's not a GW copyrighted symbol, as it was originally designed by Michael Moorcock. Moorcock admits after making it, there have been people that came to him giving accounts that this was an ancient magical symbol which has been around longer. It is even used in some modern occult practices today. However, Moorcock was the first to apply the term "Symbol of Chaos" to it.

But the Aquila and Khorne symbols are wholly GW inventions. They have no bearing on anything apart from 40k/Fantasy. To use them as a tatoo seems a bit OCD to me, and would put this guy as the "most dedicated" 40k account I've ever read.

Mannimarco
27-05-2009, 22:26
nothing wrong with getting a tattoo, makes you a fan but maybe not uber fan, ive got the emblem from disturbed's believe album on my upper right arm and static x machine on my lower left, dont consider myself uber fan its just an pic you like

Col. Tartleton
27-05-2009, 22:32
Chaos Star: A inverse of the Wheel of Dharma. A way of showing how hardcore you are and rebellious in nature.

The Aquila: A symbol of ethnic unification and totalitarian authority.

Khorne Rune: Stylized skull representing martial pride and warrior spirit.

Together?

Your a rebellious imperialist who longs for bloodshed.

Cool...?

Steel Legion for Life
27-05-2009, 22:51
We used to get some really committed (bordering on "he should be committed") types in GW Bristol - the best I've ever seen were:-

*A guy who quit his job in protest as a GW staffer when they re-released Karl-Franz, outraged by the fluff heresy as Emperor Karl-Franz had been killed off in a roleplaying supplement in the late 1980s.

*A girl who would dress up as a Dark eldar Wych to play her Dark Eldar army. We wouldn't of minded if she'd had the figure for it...but lets just leave it at "she didn't".

*A guy who played Space Wolves who braided his beard and changed his name by deed poll to Ranulf. He had the temperament to match; he once flipped over a 6x4 gaming board on to a shocked eldar player, screaming "Warhammer is **** !!!!". Still, that Eldar player never used star engines and crystal targeting matrix together ever again, so score one for the Son of Russ.

*A guy who went into a hair salon with the Van Saar heavy model and said "I want a hair cut like this". That guy also used to buy paint to drink - we only found out when the pots were switched to the new design, and he came in asking us if the new Skull White was safe for people with Nut allergy to drink, as it had a "nutty flavour". Needless to say, we pointed out it wasn't safe to drink at all, and he said "Nonsense! I've been drinking it for years! Hawk turquoise is my favourite...".

*A guy, known locally as "The General" who used to command his guard army wearing dust goggles and a large commissar hat, with a large brass compass on the tabletop. He used to force kids to salute him during participation games; once a kid got shirty with him, and as our man was wearing a "Russell Athletic" branded top, the kid says,

"I'm not gonna call you sir...I'm gonna call you Russell, 'cause that's the name on your top." Our man doesn't bat an eyelid, and replies,

"That's Lord-General Athletic to you".

Mouldsta
27-05-2009, 22:58
There was the guy that was unemployed, kicked out by his parents and living in his car, that still bought space marines... - steel legion for life probably knows who I'm on about, the guy's nickname around the store was (and still is) "nazi poster boy"

Steel Legion for Life
27-05-2009, 23:09
God, I know exactly who you mean! I forgot about him!

Nicha11
27-05-2009, 23:16
Some of these people scare the **** out of me:eek:

Nephilim of Sin
27-05-2009, 23:24
My first thought when reading about some of these 'cosplayers' dressing up was 'That is too nerdy for me'. Then I realized that my dream house would have a large room/basement dedicated to wargaming. I realized further that said room would have a few dedicated stations (one for stripping, one for building, one for painting, perhaps a spare for some friends), nice display cabinets that would each retail for around the same price of the army, dedicated wargaming tables that are sturdy, minifridge, furniture, tv, extremely well lit..... and it dawned on me that those types are in fact not nerdier than I am. They are just a different type of nerd. I think I may need to reconsider creating this 'Shrine to Wargaming', especially when I could have some really nice things for what it would cost :D.

Mouldsta
27-05-2009, 23:30
Then there's the guy with the paedo glasses and awful painting that names all his models individually, writes background for everything and insists on informing anyone about the exploits of his "kalarry patrollers", sends battle reports to JJ, and even plays games against himself on vets night. Writes up all his battles while staring at people, smells of cat food, is about 40 but wears cardigans and new rocks, has an awful nasal voice and very nearly got banned permanently for "tickling" children.

Bristol - The regulars change, but they're still weird :D

Mannimarco
27-05-2009, 23:44
that isnt the most dedicated fan, definately the wierdest though

Seth the Dark
27-05-2009, 23:56
I would have to perhaps say Vaktathi on these forums but people around here don't take it too seriously.

blackcherry
28-05-2009, 00:05
Some of the people mentioned in this thread are really, really scary! Blimey. I did go through a short phase where I had no life and lived and breathed 40K. Thank god thats over...

Durath
28-05-2009, 04:34
Chaos Star: A inverse of the Wheel of Dharma. A way of showing how hardcore you are and rebellious in nature.

The Aquila: A symbol of ethnic unification and totalitarian authority.

Khorne Rune: Stylized skull representing martial pride and warrior spirit.

Together?

Your a rebellious imperialist who longs for bloodshed.

Cool...?

Nice... try?

The Aquila has a scratch through it showing hatred of the Aquila. The guy has obvious Khorne/Chaos <3.

Nothing wrong with a tat if it's expressing some sort of artistic interest... but considering the amount of dough the person described put into 40k, I'm willing to bet his interest in these symbols isn't completely artistic. More like OCD, as I said.