PDA

View Full Version : Teclis and his Irresistible Force

Troah
26-05-2009, 22:51
So lately I've been wondering, Teclis has a special rule that makes it where whenever he rolls doubles it counts as irresistible force. So if he rolls two 2's for a spell that costs 12, does it work?

If it still does then am I the only one that thinks Teclis is overpowered?

Necromancy Black
26-05-2009, 22:54
You need to go back and read his rules again.

He still has to reach the casting value. His IR rules are different to the normal ones.

Troah
26-05-2009, 22:56
Sweet, my friend's been cheating this whole time.

EvC
26-05-2009, 23:01
Yeah, many Teclis players have got that rule wrong, indeed.

Nurgling Chieftain
26-05-2009, 23:15
Heh, we get this question - or its equivalent regarding Tetto-Eko or the Book of Hoeth - every single day. :p

Anyway, yeah, unlike normal irresistably force, these abilities only trigger IF on a successful casting roll that includes a double. So, you have to both have a double and meet the casting value.

T10
27-05-2009, 05:24
Every single day?

-T10

Nurgling Chieftain
27-05-2009, 06:03
Sure seems like it, but probably not every day, that was hyperbole. :cool: Yesterday (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201128), though, and many many others...

Kal Taron
27-05-2009, 11:09
Mhh, that leaves the question what happens if you roll a double 6 on a spell that requires more than 12+ to cast. Does you magic item "bonus" overwrite the normal IR? I'd guess so.

Tae
27-05-2009, 11:29
Teclis (and others) special rule allows them to cast a spell with IF if they meet the casting value and contains a double (except 1). This doesn't say that a double 6 isn't still an IF cast so rolling a double 6 will still cast a 13+ spell with IF

Nurgling Chieftain
27-05-2009, 15:23
The bonus does seem to be worded as a bonus, such that if you roll two 6's but fail to meet the casting value you simply do not trigger the special ability. Sans any triggering of the special ability, you IF. The special rule does not make you fail to IF in normal circumstances, i.e., it is not a replacement of the IF rules but an addendum.

Condottiere
28-05-2009, 13:14
Never saw that rule as an addendum, more of a replacement of the IF requirements, so if the target was 13+ (because of Drain Magic), I wouldn't have thought a double 6 on two die would work.

Nurgling Chieftain
28-05-2009, 14:10
I'm not seeing any reference in the rule to it replacing the normal rule nor any indication that it would prevent you from getting IF when you normally would.

Tae
28-05-2009, 15:54
Never saw that rule as an addendum, more of a replacement of the IF requirements, so if the target was 13+ (because of Drain Magic), I wouldn't have thought a double 6 on two die would work.

So Teclis, being (arguably) the world's greatest living mage is, in fact, crapper than a level 1 goblin shaman? Yeah, no.

As NC stated above, unless the special rule says anything about removing the BRB requirements for IF, those still apply. It is merely that Teclis etc. get the additional benefit of getting IF under other circumstances.

Zodgrod
28-05-2009, 16:06
So what happens if a Ring of Hotek is within 12"? Is it IF or a MC?

EvC
28-05-2009, 16:13
Another question that I wish could go in the sticky ;) Miscast overrides IF, so spell fails and a miscast is caused (In Teclis' case, he ignores the first miscast every turn but the spell still fails).

Zodgrod
28-05-2009, 17:44
Another question that I wish could go in the sticky ;) Miscast overrides IF, so spell fails and a miscast is caused (In Teclis' case, he ignores the first miscast every turn but the spell still fails).

I was just being difficult :P

But still, useful to know.

Tae
28-05-2009, 18:21

The only case I can think of where this wasn't the case was the 6th Ed Dark Elf book where it stated specifically that the Ring of Hotek and a double 6 would cast the spell with IF and then the caster would suffer a miscast (after the spell was resolved).

However as the 7th Ed book no longer contains this phrase, it no longer applies and therefore the above would be correct.

EvC
28-05-2009, 23:24
Yes, the above would indeed be correct by virtue of being correct ;)

The only current exception is the Ogre Hellheart, which does state that you resolve the irresistable effects of the spell, and then the miscast.