PDA

View Full Version : Great weapons and shields?

-Grimgorironhide-
26-05-2009, 22:52
I have been curious about this for a while for I don't realy know if it is correct.
When fighting with a GW and my model also has a shield do I still get the normal +1 to my save like shields normally do? I know I don't get the +2 for I am not using a hand weapon but does the basic +1 still apply?

cheers.

Troah
26-05-2009, 22:53
No, the only reasons to have great weapons and shields is for when you're not in combat. Help's protect against ranged attacks.

Necromancy Black
26-05-2009, 22:54
No, you get no shield bonus while fighting with any 2 handed weapon.

Kevlar
27-05-2009, 07:50
No, the only reasons to have great weapons and shields is for when you're not in combat. Help's protect against ranged attacks.

Well you can also choose to use HW and shield for the extra armor save if you are fighting stuff where you don't need the GW to wound, like elfs. I do that with my Storm Vermin all the time, I hardly ever use the stupid halberds that they come equipped with.

Kalist
27-05-2009, 08:58
I think you do get the +1 for having a shield but not the additional +1 for hw/shield combo. At least the lonewolf army builder says you get +1 for having the shield and not opting to use it in combat.

Urgat
27-05-2009, 09:02
Army builder is certainly not the best way to check rules. No, you cannot have any save for the shield if you choose to use the great weapon, check the rules for great weapons in your rulebook.

Mercules
27-05-2009, 17:07
Here is how it works.

When not in Close Combat you get to apply the shield to your Armor Save. So shooting, magic, and miscellaneous wounds. When Close Combat starts, if you have multiple options for weapons you have to declare which you are using. If you choose Great Weapon, Extra Hand Weapon, Flails, or other option that uses up both hands then you could not be able to also use the Shields. You could state you are using the shield and a one hand weapon option(usually Hand Weapons) and get the armor save bonus.

Army builder just shows you the BEST option for your armor save.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-05-2009, 17:22
I think you do get the +1 for having a shield but not the additional +1 for hw/shield combo. At least the lonewolf army builder says you get +1 for having the shield and not opting to use it in combat.

Actually it doesn't. It just show you what your armour save will be with the shield. I'm pretty sure it also have a note saying that the Great Weapon and the Shield cause a rules conflict.

ROCKY
28-05-2009, 10:51
Actually it doesn't. It just show you what your armour save will be with the shield. I'm pretty sure it also have a note saying that the Great Weapon and the Shield cause a rules conflict.

umm no they dont. use ur brain if a weapon requires 2 hands to use then how are u using a shield? same with chaos warriors i give em halberds AND shields they use shields for +1 armor save against shooting/magic and then switch to the halberd so they lose thier +1 for shield but get their +1 to Strength.

vorthrax
28-05-2009, 14:33

umm no they dont. use ur brain if a weapon requires 2 hands to use then how are u using a shield? same with chaos warriors i give em halberds AND shields they use shields for +1 armor save against shooting/magic and then switch to the halberd so they lose thier +1 for shield but get their +1 to Strength.

There is so much irony in this post, it's amazing. :rolleyes: