PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on my Chaos Army.

KrisPicman
26-05-2009, 23:24
I know there is a tactica but I honestly don't feel like grooming through 700+ pages of people arguing about different rules and such so I just figured I'd start my own thread where I can ask all of the questions I need to know.

For starters, What is the most effective(in all around terms) screening unit in the Warriors army? I cant decide between dogs, mara's and mounted mara's.

Is an all cavalry WoC army Viable?

For my screening units, should I upgrade any of them (armour and arms-wise)?

What is a good and quick way to get an undivided army done and painted?

What are some good pieces of kit in the WoC book?

What are good and effective combo's of units?

Ah, I think that should be a good start. Now remember I'm not asking for you to answer everything just throw in some good advice to a newly converted minion of chaos.

KrisPicman
26-05-2009, 23:44
Here are two of my list's in progress just to give you an idea on what I am up to.

750pts
Exalted Hero 145pts
Shield, MO Slaanesh, Glaive Of Putrefaction

12 Chaos Warriors 240pts
Shields, Champion and Standard, MO Nurgle

12 Chaos Warriors 246pts
Shields, Full Command, MO Nurgle

5 Chaos Knights
The idea in this list is to have a compact force that is utterly ruthless and dangerous in both respects. I want to be able to fight/beat and destroy anything I would come into contact with in a battle of this size. How do you think this list would fare against any army I might encounter?

1000pt List
Exalted Hero 145pts
Shield, MO Slaanesh, Glaive Of Putrefaction

12 Chaos Warriors 240pts
Shields, Champion and Standard, MO Nurgle

12 Chaos Warriors 246pts
Shields, Full Command, MO Nurgle

16 Marauders 64pts

16 Marauders 64pts

16 Marauders 64pts

16 Marauders 64pts

16 Marauders 64pts

12 Marauders 48pts

5 Chaos Knights
The idea for this list is to have my small force of merciless killers screened and proceeded by wave after wave of human ammunition. My plan would be to overwhelm my enemy with the mara's and send in the warriors and knights to mop-up any stragglers and bully my opponents stronger units the mara's can't break with sheer number. I know its simple. How do you believe this list would fare in a battle of this size?

vaneheart
27-05-2009, 00:39
Well, I've found Mark of Nurgle to be overkill in a lot of situations. Unless I'm directly facing off against a gunline, or something, it's not that great. Most things that have to hit you in close combat on a 5+ with MoN will have to do it anyway. Everything else will probably just be a 4+, which isn't that big of a handicap in close combat. Against some armies, it's bad ass, but in general, it's not that hot. Mark of Slaanesh tends to give more mileage, even though Slaanesh paint schemes are mega lame.

Both of your lists look fairly vulnerable to cavalry, shooting, and magic, plus your marauder-heavy list will succumb to panic and fear. I'd drop some Marauders and give them all Mark of Slaanesh at least, otherwise you'll run the risk of a panic rout. You might want to consider giving your Marauders great weapons or Flails if they're just going to do an overwhelm tactic with numbers. Which is dicey with Marauders on their own (you're not skaven/vampire counts), since they are slow-moving infantry, and will often get charged, rather than give the charge, and if they break on the charge, you will probably get overrun and rout a lot of your force. Marauders work better as a ghetto-grinding unit with HW + LA + Shield, especially when you place a battle-standard bearer with Banner of the Gods next to them. You could also reallocate your marauder units to make them blocks of 20, that way you get the max rank bonus on your combat resolution, provided you don't get flanked/reared.

Your Chaos Knights will draw a stupidly huge amount of fire, especially with no other really juicy targets out there, other than the warriors, which chances are, your opponent will probably either tie down with something stubborn/unbreakable, or intentionally avoid them and get your other stuff, then pick them off at a more opportune time. If you want to give your knights a little more punch, you could give them a banner of rage. If you'd like to make them more resistant to raw firepower, a blasted standard + Mark of Tzeentch isn't bad.

I'd drop the champion, musician, and mark of nurgle on your warrior squads and give them halberds + shield and mark of khorne. You'll run the risk of getting frenzy-kited, but if you screen them a little with Marauders (warhounds make far better screening units, but since you listed a lot of marauders, I'll assume you don't have any) you might do ok. They'll have to win by damage inflicted rather than static CR though, and the shield will give you some staying power if you find you have to outlast someone or you're getting shot a lot. If nothing else, I'd give them Mark of Slaanesh so they don't auto break to fear-causers.

Your character isn't bad offensively, but I would put him on a mount, that way he's more durable, and you can pick your combats, rather than having your opponent single him out with one of his more nastier heroes. One well-placed killing blow, or a few high strength hits will wipe him out. The Eye of the Gods challenge-thing is as much a curse as it is a blessing.

With only two dispel dice, magic-heavy armies will walk all over you. In small games, it probably won't be too bad, but I'd invest in a sorcerer if you plan on moving up to bigger games.

In general, infantry-heavy armies tend to have a rough time nowadays, and are much more challenging to figure out. If you can get the charge-denial-countercharge dance down, you might do ok. Without something like warhounds, marauder horsemen, or spawn to protect your flanks, you'll be vulnerable.

Hope this helps a bit.

PeG
27-05-2009, 00:42
All cav viable, yes definitely. Maybe not the most powerful build but very strong and some armies will really suffer against them.

Upgrade screening units? My screening units tend to die more frequently then they do useful things (except for screening) so I want them as cheap as possible ie no upgrades.

vaneheart
27-05-2009, 00:53
When the majority of your army is screening units, they sorta stop becoming screening units. Unless you roll like a Greek god, you'll run out of heavy hitters to throw at your opponent and lose by attrition, unless your opponent really sucks.

vaneheart
27-05-2009, 01:24
Painting is more of an art than a science (go figure), but it all depends on what you want to do. If you just want a quick job on your warriors and marauders to get them into the field, prime them chaos black, color in the weapon metal and any chainmail or accessories with boltgun metal, paint the fur scorched brown, paint the leather in dark flesh, paint the horns with bleached bone, and you're good. You can do some touchups on the armor plates with chaos black, and add shining gold as appropriate. With the marauders, you can do dwarf flesh on the skin, bestial brown on the leather bits, scorched brown on any fur, bleached bone on any horns, boltgun metal on any metalic surfaces such as weapons, and scorched brown again on the wood. Add shining gold as appropriate to some parts if you wish.

You can do a whole bunch of these at once if you do this method.

If you'd like to do some more detailed painting, that's a whole other thing entirely, involving many stages and highlighting.

Griffery
27-05-2009, 01:33
For screening I would definitely recommend warhounds. They are so much cheaper compared to marauder horsemen. The warhounds arent really supposed to live so much as create a distraction for your opponent as your main units flank and start attacking. I wouldnt use marauders cause they arent as fast and so they cant really bait as well. Also warhounds can screen and bait knights. For painting, it is really a personal choice. I normally give my warriors MoK so I like painting them red. I also think they look cool in red. It is mainly your choice.

Unuhexium
27-05-2009, 15:15
I can only agree with the mob. Warhounds are great for screening and baiting. Marauder horsemen are for baiting and flanking. Imo they're too expensive to be good screeners. And on the same topic, never upgrade screeners cause that's all they are. They're not for fighting so don't waste time on making them stronger. Consider this: You have a unit of knights that you want to keep safe untill they're ready to charge. You want a unit to screen them (that means die so the knights don't have to). What would you prefer to die instead of a knight? A unit that cost 6 pts/per model or 13 pts/model? Both units are equally good at screening, but why waste 13 pts when you can get the exactly same result for 6 pts

Normal marauders can screen warriors and other slow units. A screen only needs to be as mobile as the screened unit. Warriors move 4/8" so that's how fast you marauders have to move (which they do). Knights move 7/14 so they need a screen that moves that fast (warhounds for example). They aren't fast cav so their screen doesn't have to be either. Marauders cost 4 pts each and dogs 6 pts each as already stated so we once again end up with the question "What gets the job done for the least points?"

vaneheart
27-05-2009, 21:05
If you have 92 screeners (marauders), 24 slow moving hitters (warriors), and 5 fast heavy hitters (knights), you have a 3 to 1 ratio of throwaway dudes vs star players. Hence, too many screeners, most of which will probably just get in the way in their attempt to screen. A lucky cannon shot, or a well-placed catapult shot on your knights or warriors will cost you the game, as your ungeared marauders won't be able to pick up the slack. Some stubborn units will also tie up your hard stuff, while the rest of your opponents force eats up your marauders. Give some of your marauders something else to do other than mass-infantry-horde-screen, or supplement your list with a chariot or something.

If something is set up entirely to screen, then don't bother upgrading it. But I have to question it when 60% of your army is meant to be tossed.

Just get some warhounds and screen your stuff with them. Have your marauders do something else.