PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Assassin - "Hidden"?

Lordmonkey
27-05-2009, 14:35
Dark Elf Assassins are deployed by "hiding" them inside certain friendly units. You write down where the assassin is hiding after deployment but before the game begins, then show your opponent later on.

But do you tell your opponent that you have an assassin in the first place? If not, how do you write down your assassins location without giving the game away?

Whitehorn
27-05-2009, 14:40
knock a dice off the table accidently and then do it secretly underneath while they aren't looking.

Or nip out to the Co-Op for some pork pies and do it then.

T10
27-05-2009, 14:53
Note it on the army roster before starting the battle.

-T10

EvC
27-05-2009, 15:02
Plenty of creative ways. you could tell your opponent you're marking down what spells each player has, or some general notes. You could play some games without assassins, and write down "No assassins", which would keep your opponents on their toes.

Think like an Assassin, be sneaky, in other words :D

Lord Khabal
27-05-2009, 15:02
There are situations that even writing down doesn't works. For exemple if you have 2 ou more identical units (say spearman) and you hide the assassin in one of them. How can you specify which is which?

Acheron143
27-05-2009, 15:09
I'm famous for my various colour dots applied to the base of the command models in the unit. So it says yellow champion's unit or something funky like that. *shrugs*

Tae
27-05-2009, 15:10
There are situations that even writing down doesn't works. For exemple if you have 2 ou more identical units (say spearman) and you hide the assassin in one of them. How can you specify which is which?

I personally got around that by forward thinking and painting them with slightly different colours (i.e. shield red or blue etc.)

However if that's not an option, I would note down where the unit is when it was deployed (i.e. "unit of spearmen to my left of the hill").

Failing that (works better if the units are right next to each other) is to assign numbers to them both. Then whenever something is targetted at either unit ask "is that unit 1 or unit 2?" and act like you're just trying to make it easier to distinguish between the two. Then yell surprise as Assassin jumps out from unit 1, as nicely detailed on your army list :D

theunwantedbeing
27-05-2009, 15:37
The assasin is hidden, there's no reason to tell your opponent he's there until he's revealed.
My assasin (model) sits in a chariot untill he's needed. Usually I completely forget he's there, only remembering him when counting up victory points at the end.

Urgat
27-05-2009, 17:19

Draw the standard. When I write down the spells for my shamans, I draw the staff, since it's different on each model :p. Same for my fanatics: moon banner gobs got 2 fanatics, eye banner gobs got 1 :)

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-05-2009, 18:25
In my experience you don't really need to try and be sneeky with this kind of thing. Just note it on your list. There is enough going on before the game that you can just do it and get on with it.

Storak
27-05-2009, 20:27
The assasin is hidden, there's no reason to tell your opponent he's there until he's revealed.
My assasin (model) sits in a chariot untill he's needed. Usually I completely forget he's there, only remembering him when counting up victory points at the end.

that is extremely sneaky..

Arnizipal
27-05-2009, 20:33
Sure, but you have to prove afterwards he was in that unit all along and not just because that's where you needed him most at the time you revealed him.

MarcoPollo
27-05-2009, 20:52
oops........

theunwantedbeing
27-05-2009, 20:55
Sure, but you have to prove afterwards he was in that unit all along and not just because that's where you needed him most at the time you revealed him.

Obviously.
I never sugguested that's what I do though.

Nurgling Chieftain
27-05-2009, 21:08
As an opponent to a DE player I ask him how many characters he is using that are "unhidden". From that I can extrapolate how many assasins he "could" have.Given that the number of assassins in a list is completely unrelated to the number of other characters in the list (as assassins don't take a hero slot), I don't see how you're getting this. I mean, you could add up the points of everything he's deployed, but that's not always easy, and then there are magic items which aren't necessarily obvious.

Milgram
27-05-2009, 21:15

in friendly games, that is called sportsmanship. I never note which unit of knights errant has the errantry banner. but I am aware which one it is when I put it on the table and everyone knows that I'm trustworthy.

on tournament... well, act like you write down the position of your three assassins and note the position of your one assassin. do it so your enemy can see what you do. he will not know, whether you have an assassin in or not at all - but if he is a very observing player, he can tell by caclulating the value of your list anyways. starting with the second battle of a tournament, there is a good chance that he knows your secrets anyways, as he can ask your previous opponent. I got used to play with open lists from the second battle onwards.

as for the calculating:

everything on the table is relatively easy to calculate for the worth of the unit. DE tend to have 80-100% use of magic items on characters (besides death hag with cauldron), so you can calculate with that too. the only hard thing are battle standards - besides the ASF banner. an assassin for 150 points is relatively obvious imho.

Gazak Blacktoof
27-05-2009, 22:32
An assassin can change the unit he's hidden in between battles in a tournament though can't he? (barring any tourney specific rules)

narrativium
27-05-2009, 22:54
Yes, he's not bought for any specific unit.

Tourney-wise, I've found enough players like to write things down - spells rolled for, magic items used, tournament points and game scores, players' names, what's killed what during the tournament, even correcting details on their lists (profile/rules memos) - that where a given model is isn't something to worry about.

sulla
28-05-2009, 00:00
Easy enough. When you deploy the identical units, call one the left unit and the other the right unit (or some other more elaborate names like blue company and red company;)). Write down on your army list 'assassin deployed in "left unit"'...

If you have different standards on them, it's even easier.

Lordmonkey
28-05-2009, 08:58
So I bent down to push my case under the table and, as I did so, marked the unit with the assassin in.

Turn 3 he leapt out of a unit of Shades, shouted "Huuuu!" and murdered a Vampire BSB with the Banner of Drakenhof..

Morthoron
08-06-2009, 19:25
One thing I've always wanted to do is have an assassin model for every unit that can take one, then the opponent will literally be seeing Assassins everywhere! As for writing it down I always jot down which spells I have so I'd write down which unit he was actually in then.