PDA

View Full Version : TK question

PeG
27-05-2009, 15:07
Played a 1k game WE vs TK a few days ago. TK had two priests and one prince (general) and two units of warriors. One of the priests came with casket of souls and the other one with cloak that makes him move as if flying and some combat gear and was set up a a single character. Prince went into unit of warriors.

Assuming that the priest with casket was the hierophant I decided to shoot him on turn one with a unit of glade guard and HoD. The unit was wiped out and no crumbling occured now or later during the game. The game ended as a minor victory for TK due to him being able to secure an objective and casting lots of spells. this was my third game in a tourny with the two first ones ending in massacres for WE (against beasts and shooty empire). The result may result in TK winning the tournament.

So my questions. Does TK have to let you know which priest is the hierophant? If he dies can this task be transferred to another priest? If this is secret and cant be tranfered should TK write this down somewhere? In this game he did not have anything in writing.

Gazak Blacktoof
27-05-2009, 15:26
Not as far as I can tell - there's a reminder in the tomb king rules to tell your opponent which model is your general but I can't see anything about declaring which model is your hierophant. After the first tomb king magic phase it will be obvious though as the hierophant always casts last (or second to last if there is a casket of souls).

Which model is the hierophant should be noted on your army list ("at the beginning of the battle") to avoid cheating.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Incidentaly I've always declared which model my hierophant is - I hadn't realised you don't have to.

PeG
27-05-2009, 15:35
His priest with the casket didnt have a first turn :) but it seemed more likely to be the guy witht he casket rather then the guy fllying around on his own.

Lord Khabal
27-05-2009, 15:37
I beleve it is a show of good sportmanship.

Opp: Whom do I need to kill?
TK player: this guy!
Opp: points all 4 cannons: BANG! whoops its dead!
TK player: what you ment the hierofant? Oh! No that guy is overthere behind the forest...
Opp: throws punch in TK player face...

Gazak Blacktoof
27-05-2009, 15:38
Its a fairly safe bet that the hierophant is always going to be the guy with the cloak of the dunes- he's far too tempting a target when baby sitting the casket and isn't really very mobile even when placed on a skeletal steed among a unit of fast cavalry.

PeG
27-05-2009, 15:46
but the cloak of dunes guy doesnt have any protection whatsoever. Two wounds, weak armour, low T. WE noble with HoD will take him down really fast unless he spends his time in hiding (which is difficult if your opponent gets a hill).

Gazak Blacktoof
27-05-2009, 15:48
Its not like the guy on the casket has a lot of protection either- dead before his first turn! A priest with cloak can be placed in a unit and do a runner before the unit gets to combat (hopefully). Winning the skirmish battle so that your hierophant isn't at risk later is crucial.

Redvampire7
27-05-2009, 15:59
Pg 21 of the Tomb Kings Armybook. "Remember to tell your opponent which model is the Hierophant".

By the way, never ever put your Hierophant on a casket. Static Hierophant=Dead Hierophant. He already is a juicy target on his own; if he is on a casket he becomes a liability.

Gazak Blacktoof
27-05-2009, 16:04
Well at least I've not been screwing myself over then.

tarrasque
27-05-2009, 19:18
So my questions.
Does TK have to let you know which priest is the hierophant?
If he dies can this task be transferred to another priest?
If this is secret and cant be tranfered should TK write this down somewhere?
In this game he did not have anything in writing.
yes
no
irrelevant
not even his army list? i wouldn't play against him not that an list can't be forged but lesser chance.

to make it clear a tk army most have a tomb prince or a tomb king as general(based on highest ld or in case the same chose) same is for the hierophant.

and yes it is a very easy target whit no defence whit luck it has a 4+(collor of shapes or golden arhank) save but more often then not it will just be a targit whit t3 w2

skavenman
27-05-2009, 23:53
Even if you did not have to declare which priest was the hiero, TK magic has to be cast in a specific order as described the rules. The hiero is always the last one to cast excluding casket.

Gazak Blacktoof
28-05-2009, 11:32
TK magic has to be cast in a specific order as described the rules.

Re-reading the rules for this I'm sure I've been overly restrictive with the order I cast my non-priest spells in. I always place every unit or character with an incantation within a strict hierarchy rather than doing so just with the priests. So if I've got two princes they always cast in the same order rather than choosing the best order each phase.