PDA

View Full Version : Assault on Black Reach.

ORKZ WIN
27-05-2009, 16:25
What do people think of this? It seems like it's a pretty good deal. I worked it out to about 200 dollars of savings.

Marlow
27-05-2009, 16:43
It is a great set if you want to play Marines or Orks - even better if you want to play both. If you only want one force you can sell off the other. As a bonus you get the game rules too!

You get about a 1000 Point Army for each side. Model wise the Orks are slightly better than the marines.

ORKZ WIN
27-05-2009, 16:45
Fortunately, i play both :p.

marv335
27-05-2009, 16:51
It is a great set if you want to play Marines or Orks - even better if you want to play both. If you only want one force you can sell off the other. As a bonus you get the game rules too!

You get about a 1000 Point Army for each side. Model wise the Orks are slightly better than the marines.

Actually you get about 500pts each with the marines getting a significantly better force.
However, the AoBR box is a fantastic buy for any aspiring Orky Warboss.
Two box contents (swap the marines for more orks with a marine player) plus a couple of 50 battleforces gives you a fantastic 1500pt army

Col. Dash
27-05-2009, 16:53
thousand points? at least for marines try about 600ish its only a 170ish tac squad, a 200 termy squad, a basic dread 105 and a captain 100. Orks are approx the same, maybe a little less actually. Its still an outstanding deal if you play either of them.

The Emperor
27-05-2009, 16:55
Yep, that's a great way of getting a good leg up if you're intending to play an army in the box set. Buy yourself a box, have a friend buy the box, and trade him your Space Marines for his Orks. And if another friend buys the box, but doesn't care for either force, then you can probably count on him selling his Orks and/or Space Marines for $20 or so. And just like that, you've got a 1,500 point force for about $70.

Giganthrax
27-05-2009, 17:36
AoBR is excellent. Not only is it great worth for the money, its models are also made to fit perfectly into the rest of your army. For example, AoBR marines are the same size as the multipart tactical marines.

The only thing that's not very great is the lack of options, but it's really nothing a little converting wont fix. ;)

isaac
27-05-2009, 17:47
Plus some rank file troops are good to supplement the multi-part ones. And they still looks great with an army of just them.

decker_cky
27-05-2009, 19:30
The orks (aside from the big shootas which don't look that great IMO) are good too since they have different bodies and poses than are available in the ork boyz box, meaning you get more variety from them too, and they don't look any worse.

JCOLL
27-05-2009, 19:42
If you play 40K I think you're crazy not to get it :) It's the best thing GW has come out with in a long time. I hated that the Macragge set's marines were smaller than regular ones and just stood out when mixed with regular marines. AoBR is a perfect way to max out your Marines or Orks, or get a head start on a new army. All the models blend seamlessly into both armies. The Deathkoptas are awesome, too. The Multimelta totting Dreadnought is a pluss as well. Even with the price increase it's still a hell of a deal.

lanrak
27-05-2009, 19:43
HI all.
I think everyone belives the AoBR box set to be good value for money.;)
Thats why it sells so well.
Its just unfortunate the other 40k boxed minatures are not such good value.:(

If GW needed any proof how well a 'lower mark up' exponentialy increases sales, AoBR and BfSP are the evidence.;)

I would be happy with AoBR quality units for ALL 40k units-armies.
But then I may be in a minority?

TTFN
Lanrak.

StefDa
27-05-2009, 20:39
It would be cool if they released two or three starter sets each time, each featuring two different races. Probably wouldn't be feasible, but it would be cool. Still considering buying it...

isaac
27-05-2009, 20:51
Nope, I think a hybrid between the snap fit and multipart could the future for GW

only joking...
27-05-2009, 21:07
Great box and all the mini's are a joy to paint. Oh and it is an absolute bargain!

The Base
27-05-2009, 21:12
$200 in savings? You are starting to sound like the GW staff....

Anyways its a nice set, the models are decent quality, but they aren't the same. You aren't really saving anything because your not getting the same thing you would in the other box sets.

I really liked it, I got an old starter years ago and was really let down by the quality of it.
However this new box satisfies pretty much everyone who picks it up.

HsojVvad
27-05-2009, 21:17
I really can't see how you get $200 dollar in savings. At the GW store I went to it said something like $245 in savings. I asked the guy how can it be that in savings and he said if you bought everything individually it would cost $245 more.

I said if I did that then I would be able to custimize the minis, but in AoBR you can't. So it's not really $245 dollars in savings, but you still save alot of money for default units but can modify if you are a good modeller.

isaac
27-05-2009, 21:20
I don't like the savings argument, but it still is a great deal, no matter how you slice it.

madprophet
27-05-2009, 22:06
AoBR is definitely worth it. I bought 2 of them and built 2 new armies after adding some stuff from my bitz box

fwacho
28-05-2009, 01:35
A buddy and i bought two boxes and split the contents This the best and cheapest way to add slugga boyz/ kommandoes to an Ork army. If you throw in a box of actual boyz you can convert like mad and trick your nobs out. the deff koptas are nothing to sneer at either. the twin linked rokkits can really bring the pain.

I'm actually contemplating buying a third box so I can buff out my space marines and fill out my slugga boyz. you'ld be amazed what slugga boyz can do in large amounts. terminators actually have to stop and take notice.

NealSmith
28-05-2009, 01:39
Did I see, correctly, that the price went from $60 USD to $75 USD? I thought I saw this on a box in the FLGS the other day.

Even at $75 it's a good deal. We got ours at $60 and it was fantastic. I actually started painting Orks because of it. I'm sure that's what GW was intending.... :)

I use the mini-rulebook all of the time, so it was worth it for that too.

tacoo
28-05-2009, 02:00
ya it isa good deal, and its is easy to convert the boyz into nobz, my friend did it acdently.

by the way, what do you guys think the spaz marinez will be facing in the next set? im thinking dark eldar or croms next time they have a set comeout

isaac
28-05-2009, 05:17
How do you convert boyz into nobz?

hush88
28-05-2009, 08:38
Great buy if you are just looking for added bodies. Super savings. You will still need some of the standard boxes to get the additional fancy weapons.

trolly
28-05-2009, 08:54
hi,

go for it
buy the stuff
you have ork and marine to start
and to complete your army
and you can use it as CSM as i did ( trough conversion i mean )

cheers,
:D

Bchuur
31-05-2009, 21:22
I'm looking to flush out my BT force and get a buddy into the hobby at the same time. Thinking of each of us buying a box, I give him the Ork stuff out of mine, he gives me the SM stuff out of his. Before I do this though, do the marine figures allow you to pick BP & CCW or are they all stuck with bolters? I can deal without special weapons but I need the BP & CCW.

isaac
31-05-2009, 21:51
Only Boltguns

Ouber
31-05-2009, 21:56
I love this set I bought it yesterday. Im using the tactical marines the dreadnought and the terminators I also needed a rulebook and templates and Im selling the orks to my mate for 20 so for 20 I got around half my army and a rulebook what a bargain.

Bchuur
31-05-2009, 22:08
Only Boltguns

AHHHHHH. That sucks, I'll have no use for the marines then. I suppose though for $55 bucks Im still getting two dreadnoughts and two marshalls and two units of termies...

isaac
31-05-2009, 22:26
With some bitz they could look quite nice though

Urath
31-05-2009, 22:53
The only thing I wouldn't recomend is if you intend to buy the box set and convert the marines. As they're snap fit, it's a lot harder to cut and slice them.

isaac
31-05-2009, 23:02
Couldn't you buy chainsword with hand and bolt pistol with hand bitz? Glue them on the spots. It won't look perfect and they are only so many spots to position them, but hey they are meant as bolstering forces.

Sorros
31-05-2009, 23:49
Its great for a player who wants to be Ork or Marine. GW should make starter sets for all races.

Eldar v Tyranids, Tau v Guard, Chaos v Daemonhunter, Ork v Marine.

Necron v Dark Eldar?

That way, they can have people buy other starter sets and actually play different races, then just introducing people to the game through Marines or Orks.

The Emperor
01-06-2009, 01:16
Its great for a player who wants to be Ork or Marine. GW should make starter sets for all races.

Eldar v Tyranids, Tau v Guard, Chaos v Daemonhunter, Ork v Marine.

Necron v Dark Eldar?

That way, they can have people buy other starter sets and actually play different races, then just introducing people to the game through Marines or Orks.

Agreed. That would be a great idea.

pookie
01-06-2009, 12:03
Couldn't you buy chainsword with hand and bolt pistol with hand bitz? Glue them on the spots. It won't look perfect and they are only so many spots to position them, but hey they are meant as bolstering forces.

they woudl look dire though, also they are Tac marines, with a moulded Tac Symbol on one of the shoulders, this isnt suitable for BT Initiates either, tho, shoudl be fairly easy to file away.

Bchuur
01-06-2009, 14:49
I think I'll just try to hock the marines for a few bucks. I really just want to get my friend into the game so it's worth the loss for me. That and the two dreads alone (although plastic and less detail) make it worth the $$$. Not to take this thread off topic but while I've got people looking, what is the best marine box to buy for CCW troops? I thought I had read back somewhere that some space wolves box was best bang for the buck? Going to need about 30 CCW troops...

isaac
01-06-2009, 15:00
Assault troops have bolt pistol and chainsword as the norm. I have never used space wolves, so I can't comment there.

Trogdor
01-06-2009, 15:39
I'm hugely tempted by AoBR but I'm not sure I can really justify it to myself when I've got such an awful backlog of models waiting to get finished. Serves me right for being such a terrible procrastinator, I guess, but those WAB Romans ain't going to get painted any quicker if I just buy more Spehs Muhreens.

isaac
01-06-2009, 15:47
But the marines, they are in space! :)

Fire Harte
01-06-2009, 15:58
Great set seriously.

Got three kits' worth of orks and heck the cash saved and the models I have are excellent. The conversion oppurtunity from the deffkoptaz (spinning spinnaz of killyness and for drivers and engines of trukks and wartrakks) is great to.

LonelyPath
01-06-2009, 18:53
AoBR is definately worth the buy, though it does help if you do want to collect (or already collect) one of the forces included. You get approx. 600 points of models a side and in Britain buying all those model separately would add up to arounf 180!

Even if you just buy for the books and then sell the models on you can still at least make your money back or even make a profit. It works for other people.

fwacho
02-06-2009, 01:24
How do you convert boyz into nobz?

If you already have a warboss you can slice off the power claw and add it to a nob.

You can make a second powerclaw by cutting three choppas off up raised hands and then trimming sprues to let them carry "lead pipes".

you can make additional boss poles or WAAGH!! banner using sprue and paper.

you can take the arms from an ork boyz box set and give a boy four arms, and make a power claw using knives on one of them (this increases the bulk enough to be convincing)

I did all the above conversions.

I even turned my second warboss into a 2 headed wierdboy with some creative cutting.

AoBR totally rocks the house. I wish GW used this approach on more of their line. It would be so much harder to keep money in my pocket. I'm considering buying a third box to thicken my armies just because it's a good deal.

Tommygun
02-06-2009, 01:49
There are stores out there that rebox the set, as all Orks or all Marines, for the same price.

Templar Ben
02-06-2009, 02:42
So you have SM

Commander ($17 if with all options)
5 Terminators ($50 if with all weapons)
10 Marines ($35 if with all weapons)
Dreadnought with MM ($41.25 if with all weapons

and Orks

1 Warboss ($20)
5 Nobz ($25 for ...)
20 boys ($44)
3 Deffcoptas ($90 for the old metal ones)

SM are $141.25 and Orks are $179 (over half is just the Coptas). That is how they get the $250 in savings. It really isn't savings if it wasn't something you would buy anyway just as if I went to buy a movie and the only one they had was $30 more and bundled with an XBox game. Sure I may be "saving" $20 but I don't have an XBox so it is not with it to me.

Well that and it is presuming that a set of terminators are worth the same amount as the box which contains 3 special weapons.

Balog
02-06-2009, 05:09
There are stores out there that rebox the set, as all Orks or all Marines, for the same price.

What stores? That sounds absolutely perfect for me.

Tommygun
02-06-2009, 06:25
Here is one in the US. Apocabitznow.com
$48 for a box of all orks or all marines.
I have seen others, but I can't recall there names.

http://www.apocabitznow.com/store/c/147-40k-Bitz-and-Kits-Section.aspx