PDA

View Full Version : How to best represent Alpha legion in 40k

Big TM
27-05-2009, 19:49
With all th stealth, planning, tactics, and use of agents, whats the best way of representing them?

Im also interested about representing the Word Beareers (dark apostles n that)

And lastly, how about the fallen? how would you represent them?

Lord Damocles
27-05-2009, 20:03
With all th stealth, planning, tactics, and use of agents, whats the best way of representing them?
Chaos Marines with lots of chosen.

Or Vraxian Renegades.

Dark Apostle: Lord with MoT and Power Weapon.

+ Lots of Lesser Deamons.

And lastly, how about the fallen? how would you represent them?
Vraxian Renegades again.

Makes more sense to have a single squad than an army (I can't think of a single bit of background which has more than a handfull of them in any one place at a time).

Big TM
27-05-2009, 20:40
Hmm...

Lots of chosen would work for Alpha leigion.

Yeah, I geuss the Lord+MoT would work for word bearers, and lots of deamons.

The fallen work in small numbers, which is the main reason Im not sure how to represent them. Grey Knights could work.

What are Vraxian renegades?

JCOLL
27-05-2009, 20:47
With the right paint job. Till we get (if we get) Legion books you're kinda left to pick and choose from the options in the book and model them differently. Nothing wrong with that really.

aberrant_unc
27-05-2009, 21:04
vraxian renegades is a forge world list that isn't 40K legal. If you are getting your opponent's permission to use the siege of vraks codex, you might as well just use the OOP chaos codex with the alpha legion rules in it.

I would use Codex Chaos and use three big squads of infiltrating vets with some deep striking raptors to do a poor man's infiltrate. Problem is none of the troop choices can infiltrate, which makes it hard.

You could look at the space marine codex to try to get some infiltration that way.

One crazy idea: The daemon codex, with all it's deep striking, feels a little alpha legion-esque. You basically ambush your opponent every game. The problem is, nothing in the codex feels much like marines stat-wise.

Noserenda
27-05-2009, 22:35
Alpha Legion ? Chaos Codex, Lord Without Daemon weapon, lots of Chosen, some CSM units in Rhinos then whatever non Cult Units you like to flavour. (I suggest Terminators, nothing says Surprise like a face full of Reaper Autocannon!).

Word Bearers? As Lord Damocles suggests.

Fallen, id also suggest the Vraxian List, which in common with the other FW lists is perfectly legit. Fallen "armies" always struck me as retarded on a fluff level tbh. Ofc you could always use a unit of them as Chosen in any other Chaos army.

Peril
27-05-2009, 22:48
If someone is unwilling to give you permission to play with the Forge World Vraksian renegades list, you probably don't want to play an uptight s.o.b. like that anyway.

Vraksian renegades is the way to go for Alpha.

Fulgrim's Gimp
27-05-2009, 22:50
Imperial Guard list with Iron Hand Straken as an AL marine, penal legion and vets as troops is an idea I've thought about.

Fixer
27-05-2009, 23:02
You could always play C.S. Goto Alpha Legion.

It turns out that Loyalist marine army you were playing was actually Alpha Legion all along.

Primogenitus
27-05-2009, 23:09

I use my dark apostle as a sorcerer with MOT, doombolt and warptime. I always envisioned the dark apostles to be able to manipulate the warp to some degree due to their complete devotion to chaos, be it by the means of being a 'natural' psyker or being gifted by the gods. As the ultimate tool of the dark gods you're bound to have the warp as an (unpredictable) ally. Then add lots of lesser daemons and a greater daemon for added punch.

magnum12
28-05-2009, 01:42
If its an Apocalypse game, I would go with a CSM list with Traitor Guard allies. Your CSM aspect of the list should focus on Chosen for fluff purposes (infiltrate).

As for Word Bearers under the same plan, a hybrid CSM and Chaos Daemons list is perfectly fluffy. You can even count any icons (must be Chaos Undivided though) modelled to your commanders as Accursed Acroziums (a daemon weapon that also counts as a Chaos icon).

Inquisitor Engel
28-05-2009, 01:47
Just use oodles of guard mini's as counts-as lesser daemons to represent cultists. :D

Big TM
28-05-2009, 08:11
Thanks guys.

Ive settled on sticking with the Chaos codex with word bearers, using a Lord with MOT and deamon weapon.

For Alpha legion Im actually considering using the marine codex.
I can use cultists as scouts. It also allows for some more non daemonic options, as the Alpha legion aren't really associated with them. It also means I can take An allied inquisitor to act as a senior agent along with some stormtroopers. If I convert a Lord with twin lightning claws (I loathe the current one), I can use him as shrike, and have a unit of Vangaurd with him.

Im tempted to just put a unit of fallen into my normal chaos army.

What about that?

toonboy78
28-05-2009, 08:22
big TM, my brother uses the same idea in using C:SM. he also uses imperial guard as operatives.

Taker of skulls
28-05-2009, 08:31
id say use the marine codex , paint them in a chapters coloursbut where the chapter symbol is placed on the shoulder pad paint it the alpha leigon's actual colour with scratchings and the symbol so they might just have scratched the fake paint job off.
you could even use marine models and the chaos rules..... make ur own data sheet and set up with the opponent in apocolypse.

ToS

MetalGecko23
28-05-2009, 08:41
You could smash all of your opponents minis while his not looking....thats pretty alpha legion.

htj
28-05-2009, 09:09
For Alpha Legion, how about using the Guard codex with Grey Knight allies?

Big TM
28-05-2009, 09:19
For Alpha Legion, how about using the Guard codex with Grey Knight allies?

That sounds like a good Idea. Im not sure of what to use as HQ though, because allies cant be part of your 2Troops+HQ. A sanctioned psyker might work.

Is Shere from Legion a librarian or just a servant with Psychic powers?

htj
28-05-2009, 09:28
You can take an HQ as an ally, so there's the option of taking two HQ choices. Pricey though.

Big TM
28-05-2009, 09:34
but, I can't take a brother captain as my only HQ choice can I?

I could just take gey knights with imperial gaurd allies. MAkes a bit more sense to me.

Is it unfluffy to have fallen in Terminator armour?

htj
28-05-2009, 09:37
but, I can't take a brother captain as my only HQ choice can I?

I could just take gey knights with imperial gaurd allies. MAkes a bit more sense to me.

No, you'd have to take a Guard HQ too. Using Grey Knights as a base list would work but it would limit the amount of tanks you could take. :evilgrin:

Do you mean fallen as in Dark Angels or just as in traitor legions?

Big TM
28-05-2009, 09:43
fallen in Dark angels. Also, Alpha legion have stealth operatives, Lots of tanks isn't really fluffy

htj
28-05-2009, 09:54
Ah, true. Death Cult Assassins might be worth considering, in that case. I'm not familiar enough with the Dark Angels fluff to know whether any first company fell, I'm afraid.

Just occured to me, the Storm Bolters are a bit unfluffy. Still, I'm sure no one will really mind if they just look like Combi-Bolters.

MetalGecko23
28-05-2009, 09:57
Only if its in the Deathwing scheme or show some Deathwing in it. None of the Fist Company went Fallen as they were the ones following the Lion around. But Fallen that have gotten their hands on Termie armor is just fine.

Darnok
28-05-2009, 10:07
Im also interested about representing the Word Bearers (dark apostles n that)

Dark Apostle: either lord or sorceror, preferebly with a daemon weapon of choice and bling of your liking.

Troops: whatever you prefer. Cult troops should get an appropriate "counts as" solution. By their background WB don't have anything besides undivided units - even though that is no reason to not include some zealous fighters (Berserkers), super resilient hardened troops (Plague Marines), etc. ... you get the idea. Where possible, each unit should get an (undivided) icon.

On Daemons: I would take lots of them. First of all they are an integral part of the WBs background, and you also have the option of diversifying your model range. Just take different deamon types for different squads. Or do what I do and do some "counts as" cultists. The WB support many cults, and it is only natural that they would get support by them on the battlefield; sneaky maniacs that they are, it is a feasible option to represent them by the rules for Lesser Deamons - they'd quite literally pop out of nowhere in the battle. Modelwise you have many options, just as an example I'll convert some WHF Flagellants.

The Rest: Take what suits yourself. Dark Apostles are known for weird ideas concerning their battle plans, so you are free to use whatever you want.

All in all I thing that the Word Bearers are one of those legions you can perfectly well represent with the current Codex, much better than with the last. And of course they are great for all kind of weird conversions - not that this seperates them from Chaos in general. :D

Inquis. Jaeger
28-05-2009, 10:08
Shere is just a servant with psychic powers. Probably best represented by a Primaris Psyker.

There's no fluff whatsoever to suggest that the Fallen wouldn't have terminator armour. The Dark Angels left behind on Caliban may well have had Terminator Armour available to them and the Dark Angels Legion wasn't arranged into a 'one company gets all the cool armour' system. They were divided into Chapters, each of which would have had some Tac Dread Armour assigned to veterans within it.

Furthermore, why would Fallen have only stolen armour from the Deathwing? I would contend that if Fallen (as cut off from institutional support as they are) came up against Deathwing (who would always be closely supported by other DA elements), it would consistently be the Fallen that would come away worse off

09Project
28-05-2009, 10:09
For fallen it would for me be easiest to take Guard with a squad of Marines, ok would take opponents concent but it would be the most in keeping with the old rules, Fallen had 'And They Shall Show No Fear' etc.

Big TM
28-05-2009, 10:57
Furthermore, why would Fallen have only stolen armour from the Deathwing? I would contend that if Fallen (as cut off from institutional support as they are) came up against Deathwing (who would always be closely supported by other DA elements), it would consistently be the Fallen that would come away worse off

Thats not always the case. In fact, more often the fallen get away. I imagine there was still some terminators on Caliban. As there wasn't a first company as such. Still though, I would be surprised if a falllen had taken a member of the deathwing's armour.

I reckon having a fallen Captain in Terminator Armour to be logical. They certainly won't have many terminators anyway.

FAllen I could use along with any marine or chaos army, just adding a squad of veterans/chosen.

Urath
28-05-2009, 13:29
For the Alpha Legion, and in regard to the new fluff of their "betrayal", I'd say it would depend on whether you wanted to field a corrupted warband of Alpha Legion, or a pure warband. Although, in the 41st Millenium it'd suprise me if most if not all were corrupted, but they haven't been seen working with other Chaos Legions and Word Bearer and Alpha Legion cults even compete: interpret how you will.

I'd say, for Alpha Legion to use lots of older marks of Space Marine armour for commanders and even some of the current MK.VII for your troops as Alpha Legion have been known to disguise.

Use Veteran Models for your elites and paint 'em black, for the Stealth Squads. Clearly the use of infiltration.

Hmm, there are old cultist models somewhere. But they have lots of Chaos iconography.

Mannimarco
28-05-2009, 13:45
true but they aint cheap, going by the alpha legions M.O the cultists are likely to be armed as well as the guard, either their traitor guard themselves or they have infiltrated it and are using the guard gear

word bearers are more likely to use the "raving fanatic" type cultist, thats your empire flaggelents right there

i dont think theres ever been enough fallen in one place to constitute an army, just as small groups or on their own like cypher who goes in and stirs up the local anti imperial sentiment so all these little renegades go on the warpath

either way id still use the vraskian renegade forgeworld lists to represent the armies

-IronWarrior-
28-05-2009, 14:04
Yup

Lots of Daemons

I've seen some awesome Word Bearer armies using the Dark Angel robed leggings and Chaos Marine upper torsos.

Very cult themed.

Too bad lesser daemons are so awful.

Urath
28-05-2009, 14:26
Perhaps using allies from Codex: Deamons?