PDA

View Full Version : Ramshackle New Dwarf Army. 2000 points.

Freak Ona Leash
27-12-2005, 00:29
Dwarf Throng of Karak Izor: 1,999 points.
Characters:
Gudrik Zharrtromm: Dwarf Lord, Great Weapon, Master Rune of Kragg the Grim, Rune of Fury, Shieldbearers, Rune of Resistance. 246 points.

Hargrim Zharrtromm: Thane, Army Standard Bearer, Strollaz Rune, Rune of Courage. 155 points.

Muradin Halfnarsson: Runesmith, Great Weapon, Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Stone. 136 points.

Core:
Dwarf Warriors: 20 Warriors, Hand Weapon and Shield, Standard Bearer and Musician. 195 points.

Dwarf Warriors: 20 Warriors, Great Weapon , Standard Bearer and Musician. 195 points.

Dwarf Longbeards: 20 Longbeards, Hand Weapon and Shield. Standard and Musician. Rune of Stoicism 280 points.

Dwarf Quarrelers: 10 Quarrelers. 120 points.

Special:
Hammerers: 20 Hammerers, Standard Bearer, Musician. Rune of Battle. 283 points.

Grungni’s Hammer: Cannon, Rune of Forging. 125 points.

Orc Stabber: Bolt Thrower, Rune of Penetration. 70 points.

The Skewerer: Bolt Thrower, Engineer. 60 points.

I haven't played Warhammer very much over the past year. In fact, I had hardly began playing it before then. I had quit it after palying my last game, a very fun (and bloody) Warbands match. Though, I did win... Anyways, I finally got dragged back in by the enthusiasim of one of my freinds and, of course, the new Dwarf Army Book. I only got a quick fifteen minute glance at the Store copy before running abck home and typing this list as fast as I could before I forgot all the details. Tried fitting as many new goodies as I could in while still keeping it slightly competitive. Tear it aprt at will.

samw
27-12-2005, 04:04
I think the Lord needs some protection. A 2+ save sounds good but against the tooled up lord characters of this world it just wont cut it by itself. It can work as a bluff, (players assume he's a tank and so avoid directing attacks at him) but it seems to much of a risk for me. The re-roll saves rule, +1 wound rune or Master Rune of Spite would be advised. But if you wanna take risks at least give him the rune of luck.

The thane is interesting and unconventional, I like him a lot! :D (I think I'm remembering the runes correctly; Immune to fear and terror and the march forward before the game starts one right?) The runesmith however, for me, should always be touting the master rune of balance. Take that and one rune of spell breaking and you're good to go. I'd also prefer a shield to a G-weapon, he needs to stay alive.

Definitely take full command with both units of warriors and the longbeards. Champions will keep your (rather under-protected for dwarfs) characters safe from unwelcome challenges. Everyone else you fight will have a musician, so currently a drawn combat with either of those units counts as a loss. It's a false economy. You want to risk a 200 point unit for the sake of a 5(?) point horn? I'm assuming also you've left the standard off the longbeards because that's where you envision your BSB going. While this may seem sensible it limits your flexibility. What if, when it comes to character deployment, you see your BSB would best be placed elsewhere? Keep things flexible, stick a full command on those Longbeards.

Quarrelers, unless you intend to upgrade them to rangers, are I feel simply inferior to thunderers. You lose 6" of range for armour piercing and +1 to hit. Think about it, what's the crossbow to handgun ratio in most empire armies! And they don't even get effective BS4. Go with the guns.

Hammerers, go full command, otherwise good. Cannon, I'd say drop the engineer (or stick him with the BT) , otherwise fine. The BT's pretty standard and does the job. The miners...I'm not sure. A unit that size isn't much of a threat, and won't exactly be an insightment to get across the board towards you. I think I'd recommend dropping it and adding another BT, nothing says come and get me like a treebranch through the skull!

Now I realise almost everything I've suggested costs more points, so I would recommend dropping the G-weapon unit of hammerers. You've got three very solid blocks there already. This, the engineer, one of the runes of spellbreaking and the miners gives you 380points, which I think is enough for all my changes. If you have points left over, may I suggest something fun? A gyrocopter, unit of rangers, dragonslayer (with MR of swiftness on his axe of course), or small slayer unit would complement the list well, slowing the enemy or securing a flank effectively. That dragonslayer can hold up an infantry unit for ages!

Just some of my thoughts, hope I was helpful.

chumchu
27-12-2005, 16:27
Make the runesmith more defensive and tool up the dwarf lord. Why Strollaz rune?

Troops are loking good maybe thunderes instead of quarrelers.

Add a small cheap unit of unbrekable slayers. Put the engineer with the penetrating bolt thrower or maybe drop him .

MEGALOMANIKER
28-12-2005, 12:29
Take a shield for the runesmith.

Change the quarrelers into thunderes.

Follow samw's suggestion and take full command.

And I really like the idea of a small slayer unit.

Stouty
28-12-2005, 14:54
Why does the bolt thrower with the higher chance of hitting not have the higher strength?

Bran Dawri
29-12-2005, 13:59
Dwarf Throng of Karak Izor: 1,999 points.
Characters:
Gudrik Zharrtromm: Dwarf Lord, Great Weapon, Master Rune of Kragg the Grim, Rune of Fury, Shieldbearers, Rune of Resistance. 246 points.

***Good, but I prefer my dwarf lords with some form of protection to S7+ weapons, and multiple wound causers/killingblow.

Hargrim Zharrtromm: Thane, Army Standard Bearer, Strollaz Rune, Rune of Courage. 155 points.

***Give him an oathstone. For 20 points, it will save your butt as well as allowing you to play more aggressively. Ditto for a rune of determination.

Muradin Halfnarsson: Runesmith, Great Weapon, Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Stone. 136 points.

***I prefer runes of spellbreaking, but it's up to you.

Core:
Dwarf Warriors: 20 Warriors, Hand Weapon and Shield, Standard Bearer and Musician. 195 points.

Dwarf Warriors: 20 Warriors, Great Weapon , Standard Bearer and Musician. 195 points.

Dwarf Longbeards: 20 Longbeards, Hand Weapon and Shield. Standard and Musician. Rune of Stoicism 280 points.

***Good. I'm assuming you're going to put 2 characters in two of these units. If so, you should remove a warrior each from each of those units, so that they'll still be a nice, rounded 20 models per unit while saving you some points. You might also remove the standard from the unit your BSB is going to be in.
And I suggest giving the longbeards a rune of determination.

***At 120 points per unit, they have shields, right?

Special:
Hammerers: 20 Hammerers, Standard Bearer, Musician. Rune of Battle. 283 points.

***You're lord's going here, right? If so, you can take 2 less hammerers and still have a 20-strong unit. If not, you should smack yourself :p .

Grungniís Hammer: Cannon, Rune of Forging. 125 points.

***Good. I've found an engineer with BoP most useful in stopping charges from things like wolfriders.

Orc Stabber: Bolt Thrower, Rune of Penetration. 70 points.

The Skewerer: Bolt Thrower, Engineer. 60 points.

***Not much of a fan of bolt throwers myself, so it's up to you. It'd be more efficient, however, to put the engineer with the BT that has S7, giving you more bang for your buck from the rune.

I haven't played Warhammer very much over the past year. In fact, I had hardly began playing it before then. I had quit it after palying my last game, a very fun (and bloody) Warbands match. Though, I did win... Anyways, I finally got dragged back in by the enthusiasim of one of my freinds and, of course, the new Dwarf Army Book. I only got a quick fifteen minute glance at the Store copy before running abck home and typing this list as fast as I could before I forgot all the details. Tried fitting as many new goodies as I could in while still keeping it slightly competitive. Tear it aprt at will.[/QUOTE]

Lord Anathir
29-12-2005, 20:47
No organ gun?!?!? its damn good now. As a suggestion, maybe put the lord in another unit beside the hammerers, because the are now stubborn automatically without needing the general. you dont want it to turn into all your eggs in one basket. One standard of balance in the flank of hammers with a lord could screw up alot of things.