PDA

View Full Version : Rules check.

Drake Dun
27-12-2005, 03:31
I am pretty sure about this one, but I need to check.

A unit may not move into or through difficult terrain while using advance movement, but skirmishers can move at x2 speed and still enter or move through terrain because they do not use advance movement, but rather double time movement which is a separate form of movement, right?

As always, sorry if the terms do not match the original English.

Drake

NakedFisherman
27-12-2005, 05:25
Skirmishers ignore difficult terrain, so yes.

Drake Dun
27-12-2005, 06:15
Skirmishers ignore difficult terrain, so yes.

Hmm... my conclusion was the same as yours, but my reasoning was different. My thought was that "double-time" movement does not suffer the limitation of "advance movement" (could someone tell me the correct English terms?) that you cannot use it through terrain, and skirmishers use double-time rather than advance movement.

Consider the case of Wood Elf Eternal Guard (which form up in ranks). As Wood Elves, they ignore penalties for movement through woods. However, my understanding is that they still cannot use advance movement through woods. This is not a "movement penalty" but a limitation imposed whenever a unit selects advance movement.

Opinions?

Drake

Festus
27-12-2005, 09:08
Hi

Your advance movement is *marching*.

And you cannot march through anything that is difficult terrain or very difficult terrain.
As WE and others suffer no Move-penalty for woods (usually difficult terrain), and not being able to march is a penalty, they can indeed march though woods.

Those units treat woods simply as open terrain.

Greetings
Festus

T10
27-12-2005, 11:41
A movement penalty would be something like move at "half speed" or "quarter speed" or anything else that affects the distance you can move.

A movement restriction would be something like "may not charge","may not reform" or "may not march".

That's just my opinion, though, and I certainly do not question the woodies ability to march ranked regiments through forests. Though it would actually be nice if they were limitied to a standard move.

-T10

Festus
27-12-2005, 11:51
Hi

A movement penalty would be something like move at "half speed" or "quarter speed" or anything else that affects the distance you can move.

A movement restriction would be something like "may not charge","may not reform" or "may not march".

That's just my opinion, though, and I certainly do not question the woodies ability to march ranked regiments through forests. Though it would actually be nice if they were limitied to a standard move.
Yes. I saw that as well when I checked it in the BRB, but I tought:

Movement *penalty* is not necessarily Movement *cost*, but rather any detrimental factor to the movement of the unit.

This goes along the lines of fast cavalry, who could once add and subtract ranks as often as they liked without having a Movement penalty for doing so. This could either mean:

They could move normally and not pay half-move for adding a rank.

or

They could march move and still add and deduct ranks without Movement cost.

It was the latter.

(Note that fast cav can now make an unlimited number of reforms per movement, which would prohibit movement at all if this would incur a penalty or restriction, whatever you may call it.)

Greetings
Festus

mageith
27-12-2005, 15:00
I am pretty sure about this one, but I need to check.

A unit may not move into or through difficult terrain while using advance movement, but skirmishers can move at x2 speed and still enter or move through terrain because they do not use advance movement, but rather double time movement which is a separate form of movement, right?

As always, sorry if the terms do not match the original English.

Drake
There's no difference between double pace and marching. In fact, double pace is now a moot term and has been replaced by the term 'march'.

Skirmishers ignore the effects of terrain (except impassable terrain) because they are skirmishers. Its just a rule.

The question about WE ranked units ignore the penalty for woods is really a penalty has been asked and debated since the beginning of time and GW has never bothered to respond to it. Why? IMO its so obvious that moving half pace through woods is a penalty they won't bother to answer. (Or maybe they haven't decided yet. :))

Mage Ith

Crazy Harborc
28-12-2005, 02:13
Now, what's wrong with formations of pointy ears woodsmen marching quickly thru woods and not bouncing off of a tree or three?

I agree about Wood Elves not march moving through woods. I can see three quarter speed (rounded down) instead of just a single/normal move distance.

Drake Dun
28-12-2005, 03:31
Okay, it sounds like the consensus is that if you would not suffer movement penalties moving through a piece of terrain, you can march through it. Thanks, everybody.

Drake

T10
28-12-2005, 06:45
IMO its so obvious that moving half pace through woods is a penalty they won't bother to answer. (Or maybe they haven't decided yet. :))

Not half normal pace, just normal pace.

-T10