PDA

View Full Version : LF advice from experienced Dwarf Generals

Welfstar
28-05-2009, 14:19
I'm a new Dwarf player looking to add missile units (core units) to my army.

Should I be fielding Thunderers or Quarrellers? Which unit is more effective? I'll be mostly facing High Elf & Bretonnian opponents.

W

Mercules
28-05-2009, 14:38
The answer you are looking for is... Yes.

Thunderers are great hitting easily, and punching through armor. They are limited to 24" range though and can't move and shoot. Quarrelers also can't move and shoot, but have 30" range and are still S4, they just don't hit as often or punch through armor as they are not armor piercing. By taking both you can shoot something in the first turn and hit anything that comes closer to you. You also end up not stopped by a spell that affects, Black Powder Weapons, since the Quarrelers can still shoot.

Welfstar
28-05-2009, 14:47
Man... do High Elves and/or Bretonnians have spells that affect black powder weapons? That would be troubling.

Mercules
28-05-2009, 15:11
Actually... Yes... :)

Lore of Life(both forces can get it) includes The Rain Lord for a spell. Target a unit within 24" and it is -1 to hit or -2 to hit if it has the Armor Piercing rule(like Thunderers).

I remember another, but I think it might have been in the Lore of Ice.

kardar233
28-05-2009, 19:24
The big advantage of Thunderers is their +1 to hit, which is your saving grace against, say, Wood Elves, as you'll go from hitting Wardancers or Dryads on 6s to 5s, which doubles your amount of hits.

Crube
28-05-2009, 19:36
+1 to hit?

I think I may be missing something...

But still, I would agree with a mix of the 2 types, especially if supported by some artillery

Condottiere
28-05-2009, 20:05
Dwarven Muskets get +1 to hit; Thunderers are BS 3.

danny-d-b
28-05-2009, 20:12
at 2000 points I'd say you should be looking at a unit of each supporting warriors and longbeards

unless your going gun line

SuperArchMegalon
29-05-2009, 09:29
Easy answer: Both

Personally I opt for Quarrelers when I have to take just one. They are just as effective in combat as Thunderers, usually get an extra round of shooting, and are good for taking out light cav and other archers. Thunderers are quite a bit more expensive and you can usually guarantee if you have only 1 missile unit it's likely to not do much or to die. Go Quarrelers!

danny-d-b
29-05-2009, 09:32
I'd surgest you go to bugmens and search this, they have a long desuion thred on there as well as one of the most helpfull guys i've ever met on there (tondril the slayer)

I'll get you the link to the thunder/quarrler page

http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/index.php?showtopic=25332&hl=Thunderer

the page has nice chart working it all out!