PDA

View Full Version : IF GW did a Legion Codex and what minis would be needed to play it

wolfspider
28-05-2009, 21:16
As I look at the old Space Marine rule book from the 80s I have figured out what would be needed to play a Legion Battle company.
A legion Battle company would consist of 200 marines

A legion tactical squad would consist of 20 marines composed of 4 combat squads of 5 marines each. One 5 man squad would have a light support weapon ( flamer, melta gun, or plasma gun) and another would have a heavy weapon (missile launcher, heavy bolter, autogun, lascannon) the other 2 would have the marine sergeant and the squad leader respectively.

A legion Assault Squad would have 4 combat squads of 5 marines each of which 1 combat squad would have the sergeant and another combat squad have the squad leader. These warriors would be arm with a bolt pistol and chain sword plasma pistols and a flamer, plasma gun or melta gun.

A legion Devastator Squad would also have 20 marines divided into 4 combat squads of 5 each with either one heavy weapon (missile launcher, auto-cannon, las-cannon, multi-melta, or a plasma cannon) or light support weapons of (plasma gun, melta-gun, or flamer) and a sergeant.

So with that I think the way for GW to go would be this:
1 box set for the tactical squads would consist of 20 marines with the following armor types:
8 - mark 4
8 - mark 5
4 - mark 6
20 mk 1 bolters and an bolt pistols, chain-swords, missile launcher, plasma gun, melta-gun, flamer etc. This box set would be an update of the orig rouge trader box set from 1987.

They could then do an Assault Squad box set with 10 marines with 4 mark 4, 4 mark 5, and 2 mark 6 that would also include 10 Hersey era jump packs, bolt pistols and chain swords, and support weapons such as flamers, plasma guns, melta guns and plasma pistols.

A devastator box set with 10 marines with 4 mark 4, 4 mark 5, and 2 mark 6 armor and include 2 auto-cannons, 2 las-cannons, 2 heavy bolters, 2 missile launchers, and a plasma cannon. Also it would include 2 flamers, 2 plasma guns, 2 melta guns.

The 4 main vehicles would be the Rhino, Whirlwind, Land Raider, and vindicator these could be done by doing a modification kit similar to the forge world kits.

The land speeder and jet bikes could be added later based on how the main kits sold. The current bikes would be fine as is.

Urath
28-05-2009, 21:24
Why do you think squads would be larger? Jump Packs are still a rarity among the traitor legions, that is why there was a 0-1 limit on Raptors beforehand.

There are already Chaos Rhinos, Vindicators and Land Raiders.

The current Chaos Legions don't use Whirlwinds as they were rediscovered sometime after the Heresy.

Even if you're thinking of pre-Heresy legions, the organisation is wrong.

But, it's nice to see you've come up with some ideas of a fairly pure bred mish mash of Legion and Chapter. Perhaps this could be used as an idea for your own legion?

Also, some MK.III models would be nice. Aside from the Master of the Arsenal.

wolfspider
28-05-2009, 21:36
Well I was basing most of the units from the old space marine rule book published in 1989 which takes place during the time of the Hersey. And whirlwinds are listed in them. The command spure for the box sets could include older armor types such as the mark 3. ;)

Urath
28-05-2009, 21:49
Indeed, but the fluff has changed vastly so that many things were discovered after the Heresy.

Wow, I didn't know that. Is this book Codex: Ultramarines?

Leftenant Gashrog
28-05-2009, 21:58
The formations in Space Marine 1st edition were detachments not squads, which are still used in post-heresy epic (tho they dropped Tactical detachments from 40 men to 30 so you can get two out of a codex battle company). The post-heresy unaligned chaos list in Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness used 10 man squads so even at the time I assumed pre-heresy squads were 10 men.

@ Urath: no, he's referring to: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4001

Personally I'd rather see II-IV than IV-VI. MkII-IV would be fully suitable for late crusade and early heresy as when the heresy erupted the legions quickly ran out of spare parts to keep their MkIV's operational and were forced to re-equip with MkII & III. MkV and VI however are both Heresy only (not that I wouldn't like to see some boxes of them too, but I'd prefer II-IV)

One 5 man squad would have a light support weapon ( flamer, melta gun, or plasma gun) and another would have a heavy weapon (missile launcher, heavy bolter, autogun, lascannon) the other 2 would have the marine sergeant and the squad leader respectively.
Erm, the whole point of the squad leader is that he commands the combat squad not commanded by the sergeant.. also why the lack of support weapons? SM1e gave every stand a support weapon. (not to mention tactical detachments were 40 men not 20)

wolfspider
28-05-2009, 22:19
Well in the Chaos codex they list the squad total as 5 to 20 so I stuck with that on my estimates as to a 20 man squad. With the popularity of the Horus Heresy novels I think it would be a great time to open a new front of game play in the 30k of warhammer.

SharpSilver
28-05-2009, 22:25
Well in the Chaos codex they list the squad total as 5 to 20 so I stuck with that on my estimates as to a 20 man squad. With the popularity of the Horus Heresy novels I think it would be a great time to open a new front of game play in the 30k of warhammer.

I think the resources spent on possibly doing past millenniums could be better used updating the modern day game, e.g, various armies desperately needing a 5th edition Codex asap.

It's a cool idea though, but I fear it wouldn't be nearly as successful as the 41st millennium version. You can only go back to a certain point and it might get a bit dull after a while. It's awesome though for the fluff value. Maybe they could do a few boxed sets when they have sorted themselves out presently.

Ironhand
28-05-2009, 22:29
It's a neat idea, but GW can't keep their current Codexes up to date. Adding a new Codex or Codexes for the Horus Heresy would simply make a bad situation worse.

Mannimarco
28-05-2009, 23:04
agreed, horus heresy would be great but not until everybody is up to date (and that doesnt look likely)

wolfspider
29-05-2009, 00:49
But you have to ask yourselves is that would they sell and I think they would? Even they just did the the box set for the tac squads I think it would be a gold mine of new sales. :)

Mannimarco
29-05-2009, 01:08
its just one of those little mysteries, like the primarch/emperor models, if they were to be released GW could name thier price and we'd all line up to buy them, thats a given, but the wont do it