PDA

View Full Version : BoC or Wood Elves?

dragonlancr
30-05-2009, 14:46
Ok, so I'm an avid Dwarf player. I spend a great deal of time painting my models, and after two years of solid painting, I'm about to be done with my Dwarf army. (3500 ish points)

I have always longed to have a skirmirsh army for several reasons. The thought of not having to move blocks of troops around on the table is appealing to me, and for some reason it gives me a better feeling of uniqueness of the troops when they skirmirsh. (painting.)

I like shooting, but I like magic and CC too. I love the lore of beasts of chaos and I am the type of player I don't care if I win or lose. I enjoy the hobby. I like Wood Elves a lot too because of their colors. I'm really torn.

Unfortunately I haven't played either army enough to really get a feel. I'm leaning towards beasts. Can someone help me make the decision?

I saw the Wood Elf post on the boards here, but I'm truly torn between the two. Is magic pretty strong for the beasts?

Thank you!

ICLRK625
30-05-2009, 14:48
Really, you could go either way, as they're both extremely fun to play. But being the black sheep is fun once in a while, and wins are rewarding, so I'll vote Beasts of Chaos.

dragonlancr
30-05-2009, 14:53
Yeah, I really like losing...isn't that odd? Most people I play really put a lot of emphasis on winning. I feel like I'm doing the hobby and sport some good by ,... well, being a good sport.

I just got done reading "Trollslayer" by William King. The third to last chapter has Gotrek and Felix encountering a band of beasts led by an aspiring champion of chaos. Man I love that lore!

ICLRK625
30-05-2009, 14:57
Well, then the choice is obvious. Being a good sport is far more important then trying hard to winning, because at the end of the day, you've got your dignitiy, and they have their exagerrated win/lose/draw record in their signature at Warseer.

I've actually never read any of the Gotrek and Felix novels, I'll have to get around to that sometime, I've heard nothing but good things.

dragonlancr
30-05-2009, 14:59
It's one of the best books I've ever read.

By the way, what is the ambush ability? That looks interesting...

ICLRK625
30-05-2009, 15:02
Basically you can hold units in reserve, and signal them in by sounding a horn with your General (incidentally, if he dies, no ambushes), in which case you pick a board edge, scatter, and if you don't hit, you go on whatever board edge the arrow is pointing.

mrtn
31-05-2009, 16:44
Beastmen are cool. The armybook is in need of an update, but it's (IMO) a very good idea to start small now and then reap the benefits when new rules and models are released, which should be in less than a year. Buy a couple of herds and a character with GW, and paint them first. Extra hand weapons on the gors, and no shields on either gors or ungors.

You're in luck that the best army specific forum is for beasts; The Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx).

Kalec
31-05-2009, 17:07
If you want to start beasts, hold off until the new army book. BoC needs a lot of work after hordes was split into warriors and daemons, and is due for some new plastics.

WE you would be fine starting right now, but after the new BoC book you might decide you would rather be playing beasts.

So, either way, I would wait until the new BoC book is out before choosing. Even if you don't care about winning.

Condottiere
31-05-2009, 17:08
BoC will get it's book renewed before Wood Elves;there have been some clues that some interesting monsters will be joining their chorus line.

PARTYCHICORITA
31-05-2009, 18:17
If you are aiming to get a large army quickly then go for the WE, their rules and models can make it a rewarding call.

If you are not in a hurry as the previous posters have pointed out, you can go for the beasts and wait for the new book while buying and painting your firsts herds.

pfishy98
31-05-2009, 19:38
well wood elves are tree hugging nature hippies and beasts are, well, cows that walk on two feet. WE are a more skilled army but that may well change with the new BoC book. if you gonna do BoC, WAIT! nothing worse than buying some nice models and have GW release much cooler ones a month later. I know from expereince. now im stuck with the ugly fat a$$ 6th ed DE cold ones and i cant justify buying something i already have.

The Red Scourge
01-06-2009, 06:43
You're in luck that the best army specific forum is for beasts; The Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx).

I see your puny herdstone and trump it with asrai.org (http://asrai.org)

Nah, they're both good sites ;)

I can recommend wood elves as an army, if you want an extremely reliable force, that gives you almost total control of the battlefield.

Beasts suffer from a low morale and a seriously cut of their magic section. But as an army they really didn't lose much from losing DoC and WoC.

Key differences:

BoC: No shooting, offensive magic, lots of S6+ attacks and lots of cheap sacrificial troops.

WE: Good shooting, lack of high strength attacks, all troops are elite and almost none are sacrificial, flying and fast cavalry.

Duke Georgal
01-06-2009, 10:01
I would say the decision should be about your painting.

Are you tired of painting flesh? If so, go with beastmen. They are fun to paint and a break from fleshy dwarfs. If you enjoyed painting your dwarfs and are not sure about painting fur, maybe Wood Elves would be a better choice.

Harwammer
01-06-2009, 10:39
Ok, so I'm an avid Dwarf player. I spend a great deal of time painting my models, and after two years of solid painting, I'm about to be done with my Dwarf army. (3500 ish points)If you want to get your next army painted quickly then beastmen are far easier to paint than woodelves.

I have always longed to have a skirmirsh army for several reasons. The thought of not having to move blocks of troops around on the table is appealing to me, and for some reason it gives me a better feeling of uniqueness of the troops when they skirmirsh. (painting.)Moving around 40+ individual models every turn can get tedious. Especially true since you have to manage which models are closest to the enemy to stop banana/brave hero charges and tactical wheels. These moves can make skirmishers very easy to flank/rear in a combo charge. Often I'll play minotaur/chariot heavy armies to avoid having to move around so many models :D

I like shooting, but I like magic and CC too. I love the lore of beasts of chaos and I am the type of player I don't care if I win or lose. I enjoy the hobby. I like Wood Elves a lot too because of their colors. I'm really torn. You might feel like you are missing out on shooting in BoC (only centigors and Firewyrms, can shoot; centigors can have throwing axes aren't fast cav so they don't get much opportunity to fire. This is speculated to be changed in the new book. Firewyrms have a magical flames breath weapon, but they are likely to have this removed in the new book).

Beast herds hit like a frenzied wet flanel in combat; they'll do well against support units, warmachines and the like, but as soon as they come against anything with a half decent toughness or armour they will stall. They can sometimes get up to +2 rank bonus, but against narrow frontages and in combo charges this often won't apply.

Wood elves are better for showing off your painting skills, but beastmen do have the opportunity to use lots of colour; they are chaos after all!

Unfortunately I haven't played either army enough to really get a feel. I'm leaning towards beasts. Can someone help me make the decision?

I saw the Wood Elf post on the boards here, but I'm truly torn between the two. Is magic pretty strong for the beasts?Tzeentch BoC can generate a lot of power dice but their lore is rather subpar. With high casting values one must throw a lot of dice behind tzeentch spells for succesful casts; This makes them hard to dispel, but also expect alot of miscasts and prematurely ended magic phases. Lore of slaanesh is still a dominating lore and lore of beasts compliments the army very well.

Overall beastmen are less reliable than woodelves (less ITP, worse LD, some units have unruly, drunken, frenzy or stupidity rules), but beastmen have more options for tactical sacrifice and tactical flee units (motto: everything is expendable). Beast herds and bestigors are often weak compared to WE combat units but minotaurs and dragon ogres make up for this.

Thank you!

No problem, I hope my advice was good :D