PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms & Heraldry of The Empire

ragados
30-05-2009, 15:30
I hope this is the right place to post this. I was wondering if anyone was planning on getting this / already seen it and what it contains. I scoured the latest WD but it was a little lacking in details being more suggestive than concrete.

sigur
30-05-2009, 15:40
It was presented at the Design Studio Open day seminar earlier this year. It's basically what the title says; a very in-depth listing about Empire heraldry and uniforms of all the Empire's counties. It also has some fluff beyond that IIRC.

Laughingmonk
30-05-2009, 15:41
Warhammer-Empire has a guy there who apparently used his bear powers to get the book early. Check there.

Crube
30-05-2009, 15:42
Thread moved to Fantasy General

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Chaos Undecided
30-05-2009, 16:10
Well I'll probably pick it up as it might provide the inspiration for me to get my Empire army properly sorted.

I've browsed through it once its quite a short book that includes examples of banners, shields and uniform patterns from all the current elector states plus the other troops that feature in the army such as various Knightly orders, wizards, engineers etc, if you've seen the Empire Battle report in the new White Dwarf you'll get the idea of how its presented in the book by the images of the regiments in there.

There isnt a huge amount of fluff in the book theres a few one page art and story pieces for "famous" regiments from various parts of the Empire.

One thing I did note from the book is nowhere in it does it give you permission to photocopy the contents (well I admit I may have missed it), looks like you'll have to be good at freehand copying if you want to get that state banner accurate.

Harry
30-05-2009, 18:35
It's a wonderful book.
70 pages of solid illustration and text.
300 + uniforms.
Nearly as many flag designs.
Countless shield designs.
New full colour plates form David Gallagher.
New regiments of reknown and ideas and inspiration for every city state and province in the Empire and a couple of bonus ones thrown in.
Neil Hodgson and the whole art dept have done a great job on this.

If it got any better I couldn't live with myself.

Best money an Empire player could spend.

The only improvement I would have made (given this format) is to have given more ideas about 'force organisation' and how that might differ from state to state.

OLIVERASO
30-05-2009, 18:39
It's a wonderful book.
300 + uniforms.
New full colour plates form David Galhager.
New regiments of reknown and ideas and inspiration for every city state and province in the Empire and a couple of bonus ones thrown in.

If it got any better I couldn't live with myself.

Best money an Empire player could spend.

The only improvement I would have made (given this format) is to have given more ideas about 'force organisation' and how that might differ from state to state.

Lot of fluff or only illustration ?
It's an question that you can answer :D

Harry
30-05-2009, 18:52
Blocks of text on nearly every page.
Lots of info Empire players have read before but plenty of new background to keep even the saddest fluff hound happy.
Jeremy vetock has done a bang up job on this. (fills me with hope for the Skaven book).

Scryer in the Darkness
30-05-2009, 20:34
As I said in a previous thread, having had a good look through the book myself, I was a bit shocked at the small format of it, being a bit smaller than a Codex. I wasn't expecting any kind of large format judging from the price, but to be honest it felt a little like a kid's book in my hands. And the illustrations played into that a touch as well I felt. Maybe it was just my own expectations getting in the way.

But beyond that, I agree with Harry that it's an excellent purchase for an Empire player. Every page is full colour, so there's no skimping going on. (EDIT - Although I felt the border 'bleed' was just a teeny bit wide given the book was already smaller than a Codex :p)

Duke Georgal
30-05-2009, 21:59
Do you suppose the small format was inspired by Osprey's Men-At-Arms series of uniform books?

I love those!

vinny t
30-05-2009, 22:48
How much is it?

silashand
30-05-2009, 23:27
Rumour says $25. No idea if that's true or not.

I've asked my FLGS to order one for me.

Cheers, Gary

zoggin-eck
30-05-2009, 23:32
Do you suppose the small format was inspired by Osprey's Men-At-Arms series of uniform books?

That's what I was thinking.

Scryer in the Darkness
31-05-2009, 00:05
How much is it?

Rumour says $25. No idea if that's true or not.
It's on the GW site. £15 / US$25 / Oz$41

mweaver
31-05-2009, 01:31
I am planning on purchasing a copy. It sounds quite nice.

Harry
31-05-2009, 05:44
It si £15 here. No idea how much it is Stateside.
It is Osprey in size but not in content. Every page is full colour, it dose not have pages and pages of text and then a colour section. It is more like the colour sections from osprey books combined into one voloume.
It is much more like other uniforms books on the market for wargamers. I have a wonderful pair of books for the American civil war uniforms that have a very similar feel.
It is most like the Index astartes for 40K ultramarines they did a while back.

It is smaller than a codex and I was suprised as the original mock ups I saw were in A4 but it is not that much smaller. Only 3cm in hieght and 2 cm in length. It is not like they turned out a pocket guide or anything. But then niether is it the Index astartes. Beautiful book but a bit bigger than it needed to be I think. So it might have been a reaction to feedback from that book.

Condottiere
31-05-2009, 05:53
Looks interesting - I wonder if they plan to make it a series?

Harry
31-05-2009, 06:01
I do hope so. It will be my number one question to everyone I speak to.
I mean it works well with Empire because they wear uniforms but the real potential for this is to do a pure fantasy race likre the Orcs and goblins and show us what the warpaint and rags of the blue face tribe and broken tooth tribe, etc look like. Tribes that have so far just been names on a map.

Baggers
31-05-2009, 07:23
I am going to get it and I hope that they do it for other races including 40k. Imagine an Imperial Guard one.

ragados
31-05-2009, 07:29
Sounds like it might be worth the price after all. I knew it was only 72 pages although I didn't realise it was also smaller front-on. However it seems it isn't just full of pics so I'll drop by GW and see just how good it is.

Scryer in the Darkness
31-05-2009, 08:51
I do hope so. It will be my number one question to everyone I speak to.
I mean it works well with Empire because they wear uniforms but the real potential for this is to do a pure fantasy race likre the Orcs and goblins and show us what the warpaint and rags of the blue face tribe and broken tooth tribe, etc look like. Tribes that have so far just been names on a map.
I vote (High) Elves next. :)

Condottiere
31-05-2009, 09:05
Okay, the High Elves have ten provinces, some Federal troops plus a bunch of colonies, and they like to be regimented; makes sense.

mweaver
31-05-2009, 14:40
A Bretonnian book would also be nice.

Guardian_A
31-05-2009, 19:49
I'm really looking forward to when this book comes out. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it! As soon as I get my hands on it, I'm going to start working on my Empire Army.

I think it would be really nice to get a series of these books, one for each army.

Leogun_91
31-05-2009, 19:50
Dwarfs would be cool, some mayor holds and alot of different clans, it would be cool and included in it there should also be some different slayer tatoos just beacouse that´s cool.

Scryer in the Darkness
31-05-2009, 22:41
A biggerer picture for you.

mweaver
31-05-2009, 22:44
Dwarves would be nice, true. Hopefully this one will sell well and they will do some others. At least maybe a few more before they become bored with it...

Scryer in the Darkness
31-05-2009, 22:48
On the topic of future books in this range, it was mentioned at GD Spain that they plan one for 40K Imperial Guard if this Empire one sells well.

BobtheInquisitor
31-05-2009, 22:50
I would love to buy the IG version.

Or even just a Cathay version. :smug:

ragados
31-05-2009, 23:23
On the Dark-side... I could imagine the Tomb Kings making a really good book.

nzdarkelf
01-06-2009, 00:45
It's a wonderful book.
300 + uniforms.
New full colour plates form David Gallagher.
Neil Hodgson and the whole art dept have done a great job on this.

In regards the "New regiments of reknown" do you mean just fluff about 'famous' regiments, or does the book include stats for new RoR units?

Guardian_A
01-06-2009, 02:08
In regards the "New regiments of reknown" do you mean just fluff about 'famous' regiments, or does the book include stats for new RoR units?

Unfortunately, the Dogs of War have been discontinued. I'd love to see them bring DoW back, there was just so much great stuff that we lost when they disscontinued them.

Lord Lucifer
01-06-2009, 02:23
Averlanders on the front cover? SO getting this!

Lord Dan
01-06-2009, 03:25
A biggerer picture for you.
It was much biggerer, thank you. :)

I can't find it mentioned anywhere else in this thread, so does anyone know the release date yet?

Scryer in the Darkness
01-06-2009, 03:29
It was much biggerer, thank you. :)

I can't find it mentioned anywhere else in this thread, so does anyone know the release date yet?

June 6th along with the rest of the new Empire releases.

EDIT - It says the date in the flipping pic DAN!!! :mad::p:D:rolleyes:

Condottiere
01-06-2009, 05:54
While DoW would be a rather colourful chapter, we won't see anything about them until there's a policy change in GW.

Lord Dan
01-06-2009, 06:11
EDIT - It says the date in the flipping pic DAN!!! :mad::p:D:rolleyes:

I was distracted by your typo. ;)

Scryer in the Darkness
01-06-2009, 06:11
I was distracted by your typo. ;)
'Twasn't a typo.

Lord Dan
01-06-2009, 06:15
I was distracted by your intentional misspelling.

Scryer in the Darkness
01-06-2009, 06:18
:D this space left intentionally blank

mweaver
01-06-2009, 13:25
Empire is my main WHF army, and IG my favorite 40K army. They are being nice to me at the moment.

loveless
01-06-2009, 13:38
Ugh, I feel I'm going to end up getting this... stupid Empire, everytime I get out, they try to drag me back in *looks at stack of Empire sprues on desk* I thought I had buried you for good, $@%*#!!!

Eh-hem.

Seriously though, looks like a great book - going to have to find a copy. It'd be lovely if I could get it at a normal bookstore, like I did with the Witch Hunter's Handbook. I'll have to check, though if it's being advertised so much alongside the models, I doubt I'll find it there.

Deakor
01-06-2009, 14:05
I managed to snag a copy at Baltimore Games Day (they had a handful of them just sitting by the register and I was able to get one before they sold out).

As others have said, this is a super book. It has inspired me to drag out some Empire minis and get back to work on them. I agree with Harry that some more "force org." type information would have been nice - there was a little bit of that (really neat little blurb about Hochland forest patrols if I recall) but I could definitely have stood for more.

All in all a really nice book and definitely worth picking up if you have any interest in the Empire.

Deus Mechanicus
01-06-2009, 20:17
my roommate got it and i took a gander. I like the fact that it has a section devoted to Sylvania, great if you want to do a sylvanian army with a touch of vampire counts (the priest thing that looked like a grim reaper was mmmm)

Scryer in the Darkness
03-06-2009, 12:43
Another pic, this time from Games Day Spain.