PDA

View Full Version : Techmans project log

techman
30-05-2009, 21:14
Well I am starting a project log in hopes that it will get me to paint up my army and increase my skills. For the most part I will start showing Space Marines in the start. Put I also plan on doing Imperial guard and Eldar. Also I like to do little things here and there so you will see some conversions, I have some warmaster stuff I will throw up. I am not the greatest painter, but my skill is pretty decent and hope to get better. Without further ado let me finally add my pictures.

My workspace (yes thats a Babylon 5 station in the back...I finished building that today)

My army as stands

Tigruis

Assault termies

My reedemer

techman
30-05-2009, 21:17
Here is the rest of the pictures

Warmaster

My "soul Drinker"....I made this without fully thinking...he has the chaos undivided symbol and well....didn't look to soul drinker to me. I havent gotten around to repainting him but am thinking of what I shall do about him.

I know my photography skills arent the best but I am working on it. C&C welcome...I can take it :D. If you want pictures of anything else just say so.

techman
04-06-2009, 22:55
Sorry for the slow update, not that it seems anyone cares:D

I did some work on the fire part of the reedemers gun. Excuse the picture its a little blurry, I'll try to get some better pictures.
My main question is what do you think of the "flame" Should I just leave it yellow or metal? Or is it completely out of place and those slots are not what I thought they were.

Another question is how do you guys do burned at the end of flamers and stuff? I was planning on doing a drybrush of rust followed by a drybrush of brown. How do you fellow warseers do it?

Oh also, if you need a bigger picture click on the picture. I'm adding them from my computer so that is why they are like that.

whiskeytango
04-06-2009, 23:07
well, I'm not a huge fan of Space Marines, and even less so of Smurfs, but I think your stuff looks pretty good. I especially like the robe on your Librarian and the purity seals on the land raider. I always struggle with any color of white, but you're pulling off well.

As much as I like the robe, I would suggest going a little easier on the wash. Its pretty overpowering.

techman
05-06-2009, 03:06
I've noticed that too but have no idea what to do. The paint usually dries up on me before I can feather it in, I will try some more on some DA robes (I'm sure I have some bits somewhere...I hate DA...dang heretics in my eyes) and see if I can get a good color. its just Bleached bone with a adikolor wash.

techman
08-06-2009, 02:17
Alright tried my hand at highlighting for the first time. to do this I do a first coat of Shadow Grey. Then I mix shadow grey with white skull to a color I like. I then apply that on top of the shadow grey, adding it to areas hit by light more than not. I then water down shadow grey heavily and apply that over the whole highlights. I dont know if its a wash, but it dulls down the coats so its less strong.

I would really enjoy your C&C (good and bad....maybe a mix;)), apologize for picture heavy...but I finally figured out how to use my photo studio thing... And I enjoy taking pictures:p

Arsenal
08-06-2009, 04:01
Highlighting looks great! really good start, adds depth to the model. Are you pleased with the results?

techman
08-06-2009, 04:17
I enjoy most of it, I plan on going over the highlight on the raised area to the rear of the model with some ultra blue, I think I rushed that one too much other than that I am happy about it.

techman
13-06-2009, 03:14
Alright sry for the lack of updates..my power supply died....this one sucks too but I dont have a job (one more year till I can even hope getting one) so I hope it lasts lol. I did do work though so lots o pics.

Finished up highlighting the LR for the most part. Wont post that part anymore if I do more.

I did a SM as well...I've decided that I'm just gonna paint up the 3rd company to decent conditions and not gonna worry too much about it. I made many mistakes as a noob to the hobby (I still have some of my first space marines). I figure they'll just be for something different in games and not played too much as I want to get a eldar force for tournaments....just can't afford it right now:cries:. One of my goals is to build the whole second company as it is shown in the SM codex, paint job weapons, everything. But that'll be much later. Without further ado here is the pictures.
Here is not another picture of the symbol lol look at the leather pack it shows my snakebite leather over regular adikolor leather, another subtle highlight that you dont notice unless looking but make the model look better.

I tried freehanding symbols...and as you can see isnt too great. I have horrible handwriting period (which makes me wonder how well I did the LR name) but I'm going to try to make it better.

Which brings me to another question...how are the GW metal shoulderpads with the ultra symbol and stuff like tactical compared to the plain plastic and how do they fit on the guys? Once again C&C loved and welcomed. help me get better, I really enjoy the painting and modeling over gaming lol.

techman
17-06-2009, 23:04
Alright getting to work again...finished the assault cannon. I decided before I add all the fun paint grubbings (aka highlights) I'ma get the whole thing painted. I tried out the GW washes...I fell in love (dad thinks he'll get it back hahahahahah). Without further ado here are the crappy pictures (didnt set up the studio sorry).

C&C welcome again (like always)

techman
23-06-2009, 03:25
Alright did some work on the Terminators (well finished work). I took those plain white helmets and added Badab black wash (man I love those washes), then cleaned it up with some white. I also did the pictures bigger, hope they upload correctly.
Didn't take that many pictures, just gave you an idea. I really like how hard the highlight came, I usually a prefer light highlights but think it works really good on the terminators.

On another note, I wanted to try out all the washes on Gold...without further ado meet the test dwarves...its fantasy that all their good for:D

DWARVES LINE UP!!!

Asurmen Blue

Badab Black

Ball Red

Devlen Mud

Gryphonne Sepia

Lich Purple

Eek of course one picture off...next post:D

techman
23-06-2009, 03:28
Alright final Pic

Thrakka Green

Some of these really catch my eyes, think they'd look good on a jewled sword (like lizardmen stuff) with thrakka and azurmen. The pics mess with the color a little of course but it gives you an idea of what it would look like if you were to try it. I did two coats of wash on every shield, just dumping it on the whole thing. Anyway not much here just something I thought was useful and the work that I actually did.

ChaosPhoenix
23-06-2009, 07:26
Wow thanks. The gold-wash-comparison helped a lot, because now I've got more clue what I'm aiming at.

techman
23-06-2009, 14:37
Heh you were one of the people I was hoping looked at it chaos, glad it could be of some help to you.

techman
23-06-2009, 23:32
Well here is what hours in my rooms have to show (I did a ton more stuff...this is the only thing people will notice though). After looking at it I realized I made mistakes and need to go back. I also redid the yellow on the gun, but the pictures turned out horrible so I need to redo that (and probaly add another layer of paint. Without further ado here are the pics. I used gold yellow with a wash of ogryn flesh (I love that wash).

Also, I have a little sneak peak to the idea behind my chaos army, a thousand sons and slaneesh army, I want it to be fluffy so we'll see what happens.

Sorcerer Zauberer inspected the chaos lord from his his perch upon the hill. Behind him lay his thousand sons, silent and deadly, waiting for his order. The devotees to Slaneesh tear through the imperials with a sick love for it. Seeing the carnage caused and how they enjoy it, Zauberer knew that this lord would be perfect for his purposes.

I'm no author as you can tell lol, but I'm hoping it is enough to be of some interest to you. This army will grow REALLY slow, because of age and lack of job. I plan on doing plenty of conversion work to make up for it. just as an FYI Zauberer is sorcerer in german.

I might have more pictures up later tonight, if not I will ahve stuff tommorow, trying to get at little done every day, at least 1/2 hr of work a day. I have the storm bolter for the reedemer painted with red and boltgun metal. I'll put some ultra blue on there and some more red for the windows and call that section done. I havent figured out how to do the "jewel" yet, but when I do I will go back to the tank and fix it.

techman
24-06-2009, 04:50
Alright finished the bolter hatch and the promethium barrels.

I think I will get to work on the sorcerer some time this week...I love painting but need to do something else

I also have an inquisitor model (from the inquisitor game) that I plan on putting together as a reward for finsihing either a tank or a squad and I will paint it as a reward for finishing a tank or a squad.

techman
24-06-2009, 15:02
Alright..being up for an hour, couldnt figure out how to do the sorcerer and make it look good, one my bitz box just isnt good enough for that. Second, I've only done 2 conversions, the soul drinker (gonna change that to slaneesh CSM), and another soul drinker that I made but never painted. So instead of doing that I dug these out.

Yes, my traitor guard. That is an old glory WWI gas mask infantry. I am trying to make up a background fluff to them. My guard (like all guard are supposed to be) are going to be from different worlds. You read in the fluff how regiment from this planet and this planet are fighting together, and it always made me look at them and think that something was off. I will of course be adding spikes and skulls, and will be doing cobblestone road (dont know how well u can see my dremel work on the base) on my men and basing them in city's. I plan on doing the same thing with the CSM, I might ally them in games (if I ever play a game:(). These guys will come slowly and be on and off, its a fun model, not an army.

Alsharoth
24-06-2009, 16:28
Looking good so far but 1 thing really bugs me !
You put the Redeemer flamers on upside down!

techman
24-06-2009, 21:22
I wish you didnt say that...I totally did NOT realize that I did that....at least now I know what to do next time;). For a fluffy reason, the servitor unfortunately read the plans upside down for the guns, but because it fired just as effectively, if not better than normal, they chose to leave it as is because of the attack on macragge....hows that for a background =).

techman
24-06-2009, 21:51
Alright i thought if I did a basis of my sorcerer it would help me make it better.

230 pts
100 chaos sorcerer
30 steed
30 mark of tzeench
5 familiar
10 doombolt
30 gift of chaos (or wind of chaos...but that wont effect the model)
25 bolt of change (mark of tzeench)

The steed will of course be a disk of tzeench, I'm trying to decide if I want wind of chaos or gift of chaos, I like the idea of turning the enemy into a spawn, but the template attack is nice.