PDA

View Full Version : I have a stupid question...

HRM
31-05-2009, 15:27
... I know this is likely really dumb, but I'm going to assume that a company of Infantry is ALWAYS eight models, while a company of Cavalry is ALWAYS two? It's just, I can't find anywhere in the book that explicitly states that, unless I'm misreading or just plain missing something.

It just seems to say "So, yeah, usually we just stick eight dudes/two riders on a tray, and that's chillin'." OR, is a unit's Attacks characteristic (in it's profile) also the same as the number of models per company, as I'm interpreting it?

Thanks in advance!

Mephaine
31-05-2009, 15:55
Basically the attacks is the number of models on the base because for each casualty the number of attacks from the base go down by one. Other wise you could do as many guys on one base as you want for dirt cheap points.

HRM
31-05-2009, 16:18
Basically the attacks is the number of models on the base because for each casualty the number of attacks from the base go down by one. Other wise you could do as many guys on one base as you want for dirt cheap points.

That's what I thought. OK, cool, thanks man!

So, then, does that mean, that if you want to give, say, Riders of Rohan all of their Command udgrade options, you HAVE to purchase at LEAST two companies, to have room for them all?

Nedorus
01-06-2009, 19:55
Once you buy more than two upgrades for cavalry you need more than one company, yes.

As to your question about infantry ALWAYS being eight models, the answer is no. There are execeptions: e.g. the three hunters (Aragorn, Gimly and Legolas) and both Gondor artilleries all have less than eight though they count as Infantry. The nine are considered infantry (if I remember correctly) but obviously don't have eight models :angel:

As Mephaine said, usually the number of attacks is equal to the number of models, though there are exceptions to this as well: e.g. the Gondorian bolt thrower has four models (if you count the thrower as well) but only three attacks.

cheers
Nedorus

HRM
01-06-2009, 20:42
Again, thanks folks. Just trying to come to grips with the basics as I'm very new to this. I need to see a demo at my local store, methinks.

Johnny189
02-06-2009, 18:02
Also galadhrim knights have 4 attacks, does this mean they are 4 models or the normal 2?

Edonil
03-06-2009, 02:37
Galadhrim Knights have two attacks a model. Which is debatably useful...I agree with the sentiments that a higher Defense than 4 would be better

jaws900
03-06-2009, 07:10
... I know this is likely really dumb, but I'm going to assume that a company of Infantry is ALWAYS eight models, while a company of Cavalry is ALWAYS two? It's just, I can't find anywhere in the book that explicitly states that, unless I'm misreading or just plain missing something.

It just seems to say "So, yeah, usually we just stick eight dudes/two riders on a tray, and that's chillin'." OR, is a unit's Attacks characteristic (in it's profile) also the same as the number of models per company, as I'm interpreting it?

Thanks in advance!

Thats not a stilly question at all.
The modals presant is always equal to the companies attack value.

Just remember there not such thing as a silly question until I ask it. :D

Edonil
03-06-2009, 14:37
The modals presant is always equal to the companies attack value.

Except for Galadhrim Knights. Unless you want to be the one to give your opponent 4 models in a cavalry company? :eyebrows:

HRM
04-06-2009, 22:45
Also... Just to make sure I have this right (no need to start a new thread over it, I don't think)...

If I want to use Erkenbrand as my army's Leader (which I do, as he costs less than Eomer and Theoden, and I plan on starting with 750 points to get me "in the door" so to speak) - he doesn't HAVE to be mounted up in his Legendary Formation, Erkenbrand's Riders, does he? I can stick him in a regular Riders of Rohan Eored, or on foot with some Oathsworn Militia, right?

Edonil
04-06-2009, 23:01
If you take him in his Erkenbrand's Riders, he cannot move. If you take Erkenbrand alone, he is allowed to move around.

HRM
05-06-2009, 00:20
If you take him in his Erkenbrand's Riders, he cannot move. If you take Erkenbrand alone, he is allowed to move around.

Ah-ha... You know truth be told I hadn't even thought of that. I just wanted to be sure I didn't HAVE to take the Legendary Formation.

Thanks man!

Dexter099
05-06-2009, 04:22
Get some flaming weapons. Trolls might be attracted to this thread!

Pod
25-11-2009, 02:19
So with the Galadhrim Knights is the attack 4 actually an error, like should it be 2?? If not I am going to put these in my Rohan army as allies!!

Jobu
25-11-2009, 10:01
No that is not an error, each knight has 2 attacks, so 2 attacks x 2 cavalry per company = 4 attacks. But with D4 you might want to look at other options, like adding bows/throwing weapons to your company of rohan cav. I can't remember but I think they can shoot and still charge that turn.