PDA

View Full Version : WE vs Bretonnians

Satan
27-12-2005, 20:19
Yes, I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips as how to face off against these heavily armoured knights?
My regular opponent plays with units of Grail, Questing, Errant as well as Knights of the realm. My current army list includes first and foremost two big units of Eternal Guard - but I have yet to try it out. I'll post it later tomorrow as it's not available to me at the moment.

Can Eternal Guard work against Bretonnians when taking a charge?
What should I complement with? Warhawk riders?

Wardancers, as well as a unit of Glade Riders (Which probably should be upgraded to Wild Riders instead) seems like the given choices.

SuperBeast
29-12-2005, 16:50
Eternal Guard backed up with a BSB to hold his charges, a hail of doom arrow in one of the EG units (it hurts...).

Keep Wardancers and Wildriders handy to flank charge the knights when the EG hold them.
Treemen are also fantastic against Brets, esp if you've got a BSB nearby.

Ganymede
29-12-2005, 17:02
Don't be afraid to flee with the Eternak Guard regiments. Since they wil be your only ranked, non super maneuverable units, he will be gunning for them. You can try luring him into a trap where he gets flanked by your fast cav and hard hitting skirmishers. Heck, don't be afraid to flee them off the board if it means the flanks of a couple lances are for the taking.

I wouldn't rely on stubborn too much if the charging lance has a character. He could probably make short work of anything short of a forest lord, and thereby negate your stubborn.

Stouty
29-12-2005, 17:15
Wardancers if they get the charge can be devastating to the flank, the enemy will only have 3 models to up to 8 of yours.

Satan
29-12-2005, 17:51
Unnamed2000 Pts - Wood Elves Army

1 Eternal Guard Highborn @ 210 Pts
General; Eternal Guard; Longbow
Stone of the Crystal Mere [30]
Annoyance of Netlings [25]

14 Eternal Guard @ 210 Pts
Standard; Musician
1 Guardian

1 Spellsinger @ 125 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow

1 Spellsinger @ 115 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow
Dispel Scroll [25]

1 Spellsinger @ 115 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of Athel Loren; Longbow
Dispel Scroll [25]

14 Glade Guard @ 186 Pts
Longbow; Standard; Musician

11 Dryads @ 156 Pts

1 Branch Nymph @ [12] Pts

19 Eternal Guard @ 270 Pts
Standard; Musician
1 Guardian

11 Wardancers @ 237 Pts
Wardancer Weapons; Musician
1 Bladesinger

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts
Longbow

7 Wild Riders @ 244 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
1 Wild Hunter

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 95

Total Army Cost: 1988

This is what I had in mind. ATM the Wild Riders are in fact Glade Riders, but some time in the future that will probably change. Any good against Brets? What do you think?

Thanks for your comments so far.

Drake Dun
30-12-2005, 02:57
I have never done it, but I have always liked the idea of making a tooled-out Eternal Guard unit. You put a big mean character in the front line with the Amber Broach. That way when he charges you the two or three guys in the middle of the line have to go last, negating the best part of the charge bonus since that is where the dangerous guys are - and you get an extra set of attacks from the rear rank due to the eternal guard rules. And if they are going to be going last anyway, heck, put a great weapon on that bad boy since two models which both go last go in initiative order and yours is almost definitely higher. Meanwhile you have a LD of 10 or 9 backed up by a stubborn 9. Then you can stick a battle standard bearer, for rerolls, in there with the goody that cheats the opponent of their strength bonus... so much for lances and what not. It becomes a good charge-receiving unit, which is not a really common thing. If you wanted to get really comical you could throw in that horn thingy that forces people to charge you.

Drake