PDA

View Full Version : Yhette Question?

eagletsi1
01-06-2009, 01:04
Yhettes can move over impassable terrain when moving? Can they flee through it when fleeing?

I assume so as long as they don't finish their move in it.

What does everyone else think?

kylek2235
01-06-2009, 01:26
I'd go with yes.

I still think they're a waste of points though

pfishy98
01-06-2009, 02:18
you should move this to fantasy rules, but as for your question i'd say no cuz "impassable terrain" usually means you cant go through it and you die if you flee through it. what if it was lava, why would yheties get to move thru it?

lol flaming yheti FTW!

ICLRK625
01-06-2009, 03:47
It states examples of what they can move through in their rules (but also uses the phrase Impassable Terrain), so I'd say only the logical ones (rocky cliffs, mountains, hills etc.), and not lava or anything not fluffy.

Kevlar
01-06-2009, 04:21
It states examples of what they can move through in their rules (but also uses the phrase Impassable Terrain), so I'd say only the logical ones (rocky cliffs, mountains, hills etc.), and not lava or anything not fluffy.

Well they do have frost breath right? They could freeze the lava long enough to hop across. I think I saw that in a movie once.

havoc626
01-06-2009, 10:22
I think I saw that in a movie once.

Ah, yes, the age old saying of 'I saw it in the movies, so it must be true!'

eagletsi1
01-06-2009, 13:19
It says they can leap and bound. So why couldn't they just leap over the lava or impassable gully.

That's my opinon.

Gazak Blacktoof
01-06-2009, 13:57
Fleeing is a type of movement- you should be able to ignore the impassable terrain in exactly the same you would during a voluntary move.

PARTYCHICORITA
01-06-2009, 14:13
Fleeing is a type of movement- you should be able to ignore the impassable terrain in exactly the same you would during a voluntary move.

I agree

I still think they're a waste of points though

I also agree

Revlid
01-06-2009, 14:18
A waste of points? I've not seen a single successful Ogre Kingdoms tourney build that didn't include at least one unit of Yhetees.

Crube
01-06-2009, 14:27
Thread moved to Fantasy Rules

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Mercules
01-06-2009, 15:53
Yhetees can not move through Impassible Terrain.

They treat VERY specific pieces of Terrain as Open Ground for the purposes of moving. How the rule is written is very important. They are not touching or crossing Impassible Terrain. For them the terrain(if it is a cliff or something they can scale) is Open Ground which means they don't die.

Jind_Singh
01-06-2009, 16:04
So we know they can flee and ignrore terrain but lets address the other question - why are they overpriced and usless?
Spider riders provide an excellent role in O & G just because they ignore certain types of terrain, but yhettes are the masters!
1) 7" move so they purse 3D6
2) Ignore pretty much all terrain so they are excellent at flanking units from unexpected angles
3) They cause fear, 3 attacks each
4) The weapons count as magical so great for going against etheral units and the like

I'd say that yhettes are AMAZING!!!!!

Kevlar
01-06-2009, 17:24

They do have certain tactical advantages. I guess if you play the way some power gamers try to set up their field, little or no terrain, that they lose some of those advantages.

Lord Dan
01-06-2009, 17:55
They do have certain tactical advantages. I guess if you play the way some power gamers try to set up their field, little or no terrain, that they lose some of those advantages.

They kill people will icicles. Have you ever seen someone stabbed in the chest with a sheet of ice? Case closed.

Mercules
01-06-2009, 18:03
So we know they can flee and ignrore terrain but lets address the other question - why are they overpriced and usless?
Spider riders provide an excellent role in O & G just because they ignore certain types of terrain, but yhettes are the masters!
1) 7" move so they purse 3D6
2) Ignore pretty much all terrain so they are excellent at flanking units from unexpected angles
3) They cause fear, 3 attacks each
4) The weapons count as magical so great for going against etheral units and the like

Spider Riders are Fast Cav. Yhettes wheel like a Semi-truck.
1) Which is very nice, if you can win a combat with them. :)
2) Forests, Cliffs, things they can scale. Water, swamps, and such still slow them. In order to flank things from unexpected angles you have to have LoS on their flank. To do so you must usually turn. Again, Yhettes wheel slowly so you are forced to do a Turn which means no marching which cuts into their "speed" so it really isn't an unexpected angle.
3) Yes they do. 9 Attacks at WS3 isn't horrible, but it won't beat static Rez so they had BEST be in the flank.
4) Until wounded by a flaming attack. Now they count as Hand Weapons. I wish flaming attacks were rare. :)

They also die to shooting like crazy and because of how they move and their size it is hard to keep them in cover. They are decent in Close Combat but sometimes getting them there is impossible. Also, since they are often out on the flanks you can't rely on the General's leadership and they do not have that great of Ld for panic tests.

About all the Fear does is let you break warmachine crews and charge things with Fear. :) I have broken Goblins in the flank and plowed on into Orcs and just kept going with Yhettees, but it is not very common.

Kevlar
01-06-2009, 20:24
They kill people will icicles. Have you ever seen someone stabbed in the chest with a sheet of ice? Case closed.

Of course. I've beaten Kameo!

dal9ll
01-06-2009, 23:15
Within the context of the Ogre book, Yhetees are awesome. Within the context of ALL of the world of Warhammer and its armies, not so much. They are the perfect flanking unit for Ogres because of theyre SUPERB movement capabilities.

As for the terrain issue, youve always got to go with RaW over RaI. If youre ever going with a rule as RaI, GW screwed up (not that this never happens...)

Lord Dan
02-06-2009, 03:58
youve always got to go with RaW over RaI.

While this is generally true, I think there are plenty of situations where RAW simply doesn't make sense. Remember the "I can spike your steam tank" debate?

dal9ll
04-06-2009, 22:22
Remember the "I can spike your steam tank" debate?

Nope. Enlighten me.

Lord Dan
05-06-2009, 00:33
The argument was basically that since a Steam Tank is classified as a "war machine", and as it doesn't technically have a listed "crew" (the engineer isn't mentioned as being "crew") it follows the normal rules for unmanned war machines in CC, which is that the enemy can simply opt to "spike" (destroy) it. RAW says it dies, but RAI obviously didn't mean for that to be the case, otherwise there wouldn't be half a page of CC rules.

I'm actually not sure if they ever FAQd that.

Taureus
06-06-2009, 00:44
The argument was basically that since a Steam Tank is classified as a "war machine", and as it doesn't technically have a listed "crew" (the engineer isn't mentioned as being "crew") it follows the normal rules for unmanned war machines in CC, which is that the enemy can simply opt to "spike" (destroy) it. RAW says it dies, but RAI obviously didn't mean for that to be the case, otherwise there wouldn't be half a page of CC rules.

I'm actually not sure if they ever FAQd that.

That is hilarious!!!!

And worth trying if they didn't address it with a FAQ.