PDA

View Full Version : using bound items?

Darwin_green
01-06-2009, 08:08
quick question on bound items.

they seem to kinda suck. Am I safe to assume they're really only useful in a magic heavy force where my opponent has to choose which spells to dispel from, right?

most of them seem to have pretty low power rating. Unless my opponents is either really cocky or really unlucky it seems like i would have quite a hard time actually using the ability.

Nicha11
01-06-2009, 08:16
I mainly look for power level 5+ bound spells to draw out 2 enemy dispell dice.
That way i have freedom for my real Wizards.

Kerill
01-06-2009, 10:27
Bound spell level 3= 1 dispel dice needed to dispel, 2 if its dangerous (corpse cart)
Bound spell 4= 1 dispel dice, 2 if its vaguely dangerous
Bound spell 5/6- 2 DD

They are there for draining dispel dice more than anything else.

Darwin_green
01-06-2009, 10:36
I guess I'll have to rely on Bloodcurdling roar to give that surprise attack.

Tae
01-06-2009, 11:04
quick question on bound items.

they seem to kinda suck. Am I safe to assume they're really only useful in a magic heavy force where my opponent has to choose which spells to dispel from, right?

most of them seem to have pretty low power rating. Unless my opponents is either really cocky or really unlucky it seems like i would have quite a hard time actually using the ability.

Yeah they are going to have fairly limited utility if your army is only running minimal other magic, as your opponent is going to likely have the dice to be able to throw at it.

But, used correctly, bound items can be utterly devestating. The most powerful one, imo, is the 50 point Dark Elf one which gives them Power of Darkness as a bound spell. I've seen this used at the end of the magic phase to give Morathi another 3 dice which cast Black Horror and wiped out most of a unit of Ironbreakers.

Kerill
01-06-2009, 11:05
Banner of wrath isn't too bad as long as you have something nice to target it with (like fast cav/terradons etc.)

Gazak Blacktoof
01-06-2009, 11:30
Bound spells are good to surprise people. Saved till the end of the magic phase in turn 3 or 4, when your opponent thinks that you've got nothing else to throw at them, they can really make a mark.

Generally though they just add to the pressure of the magic phase, forcing your opponent to make choices they don't really want to make.

PeG
01-06-2009, 12:36
First use you can use the surprise effect to actually get if through or alternatively if your army have a commonly used bound spell item (often one use only) you can get your opponent to save dispel dice or scrolls just in case even if you are not carrying it to battle.
After the first use I usually use them first in my magic phase to draw out dispel dice.

eyeolas
01-06-2009, 13:47
it depends on the situation. Often I'll use the bound spell in my first turn to make sure my opponent knows I have it, 'cus from there you can save it 'till last every other turn to force him to save dice for it (generally this only works with good damage spells, the HE ring with bound 2d6 str 4 is a good example, as it really adds to the fear factor)

Mercules
01-06-2009, 16:38
Well, 1 die casting with my Butchers in my Ogre army means they are often spending their dice one at a time. I'll save my Bangstick (PL3 bound MM 24" range 1d6 S4 hits) for the end of the phase the first round. Either they spend all there dice and I fire it off, or they save a die for it and I DON'T fire it off. If I didn't use it on Round 1 they often assume I don't have it. Round 2 I can surprise them with it as they usually won't save the die again. Round 3 it just becomes one more thing they have to get rid of. I still tend to save it till late in the phase because then they are left deciding if they want to save a die for the bound spell or throw two at the spell I just got off on a 5.

In a tournament this weekend a Darkelf player was using the bound Power of Darkness spell. He would simply throw it out there. Either I eat up a die killing it or he gets free power dice. If he gets free dice he uses them to cast Power of Darkness himself. When he has 4 spells, getting that many extra dice means he can unleash as much magic as a Slann with the extra die per spell. It was a royal pain. :)