PDA

View Full Version : Chimera assembly question

Kildash
01-06-2009, 09:06
hey guys, I've got a little question about the tiretracks... When assembling them with the pieces on the walkthrough-thing, I am always about a third of an inch short... Now, it seems that I have a load of spare track pieces on my sprue. Is this true? I'm guessing this sprue is also put into the Leman Russ box, and the Russ needs more tracks. Am I guessing correctly? In other words, could I use the spare tracks to complete my chimera's tracks, or do I need them elsewhere on the chimera?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: ow, I just noticed the track guards could cover the gaps... Still, do I need the other parts?

Nabeshin1106
01-06-2009, 09:19
I tend do leave a gap underneath the track guards since they won't be noticeable. You get more than enough tread pieces to finish any tank, it's normal to have extras.

Khornies & milk
01-06-2009, 09:24
I tend do leave a gap under neath the track guards since they won't be noticeable. You get more than enough tread pieces to finish any tank, it's normal to have extras.

Same here, but I have also cut spare pieces to fit, and it's barely noticeable once it's painted/weathered.

Kildash
01-06-2009, 09:30
okay, cool. Thanks guys, now I can continue my quest into the cliché that is the Imperial Guard Armoured Company :D

Epicenter
01-06-2009, 09:35
There was a question about this not too long ago in the hobby section of this website (where this question should have been posted - please check the section before posting - you have 400+ postings).

Leman Russ tracks are different (wider) than the Chimera ones.

Both kits are older, so they don't fit together so well. Generally people do one of three things:

* Arrange the gap so its at the top and cover it with a track guard.
* Clip the spare links to fit and put them in.
* Open up a very small gap between every section. If you do this correctly the tiny gaps (which aren't noticable to a viewer) will make the entire model flush and give the appearance of the treads being fine.

Duke Georgal
01-06-2009, 10:49
My Leman Russ tanks came with the same tread sprue as my Chimeras & Basilisks.

Are you sure the Leman Russ treads are wider.

I checked my completed models with a caliper and they are the same.

Khornies & milk
01-06-2009, 11:07
My Leman Russ tanks came with the same tread sprue as my Chimeras & Basilisks.

Are you sure the Leman Russ treads are wider.

I checked my completed models with a caliper and they are the same.

They're the same...the tracks, wheels...same sprues for Russes and Chimeras.

StormWulfen
01-06-2009, 12:59
Leman Russ tracks are different (wider) than the Chimera ones.

since when? i have built several russes and chimeras (new and old) and the tracks have always been the same width.

Bunnahabhain
01-06-2009, 14:53
Chimera and Russ tracks and wheels are fully interchangeable, as they're the same sprue. I have a big box of spares, which get used for scratch building or converting on occasions- they're a great way of making a tank look right in the Guard

The spacing of them is a bit difficult. The easiest way is, as you've found, to fit track guards, so it doesn't have to join exactly. Other than that, just be careful with the track spacing, and space out any necessary gap over half a dozen joins, and it won't show.

The other alternative is to to use non GW vehicles. Tamiya, for instance, do much more detailed vehicles, that cost far less, and their tracks fit better....

Jedi152
01-06-2009, 14:55
Think how bad we used to have it when you didn't get track guards on the sprues...

Lord Cook
01-06-2009, 15:25
There is always a gap. You can either:

a) Cut a small section of track down to fit, and use that to plug the gap. Once painted it is hardly noticeable, especially if you put it at the back towards the ground.

b) Deliberately leave the gap on the top, and then stick track guards over it.

c) Leave the gap on the underside where no one can see it.

I would generally recommend b).

All Imperial Guard track links are the same, regardless of vehicle, until you get up into the super-heavies.

The Base
01-06-2009, 16:46
You can make them fit, I have done it many times, it's just overly hard to do.

The key is getting the right angles around the wheels, if I recall correctly I used a 2 tread bit on the front wheel, just keep trying until you get right.

In general I do my tank assembly over 2 days, 1 day for the treads, day 2 for the rest of it, because I am pretty fed up once I finally get the treads to fit.

Chem-Dog
01-06-2009, 17:29
Small gaps are common in all the IG vehicles, they were the first GW plastic vehicle kits to have separate tracks and the trend has not been continued, probably for this exact reason.

I assemble my tanks so that the gap will appear on the underside of the vehicle and to the rear, this is the aspect you see least.

I tend to trim a track segment to fill the hole too, the joining teeth sections are trimmed so that it can be glued in place, when painted (and by virtue of it's location on the vehicle) it'll go unnoticed, even better if you're fond of covering you tracks with "mud".

Obviously if you're well disposed to the tank tracks available in the kit you can use these to A) cover any gaps and B) reduce the amount of track you actually need to glue on.

Hrw-Amen
01-06-2009, 18:30
Yes, there is always a gap. Nowadays I tend to cover it with the track guards as others have said.

I have noted that on the older models I have of Chimera and Leman Russ, ones that are about 15 years old, the tracks did appear to be properly spaced. I'm not sure if they have deteriated over the years and the moldings have got worse, or perhaps it is my eyes and in the olden days I had more patience and time to space them? Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? It appears to have gotten worse since the track guards were introduced. Maybe that is why they put them on the kit?

They are the same in the Leman Russ, Chimera etc.

By the way, I don't tend to use all of the wheels either, just enough to hold the tracks and be strong enough. Especially witht he Chimera, that way you get spare big wheels for conversions. Anyone else do this?

Kildash
01-06-2009, 21:24
okay, thanks all. I really aprreciate that, my Chimera's nearly finished by now, I just put the track guards over the gaps, and it worked like a charm... :)

Thread can be closed, mods...