PDA

View Full Version : controling/contesting table quarters

Warlord Gnashgrod
07-05-2005, 06:28
In the rulebook, it says that you need a unit with unit strength of 5 or more in order to control a table quarter. Some people that I game with say that to contest a table quarter you only need a single model with unit strength of one. Is this true? It doesn't seem right to me.

Snoozer
07-05-2005, 12:46
No you need at least a single unit with unit streinght of 5 or more, one model doesn't count.

Warlord Gnashgrod
07-05-2005, 16:17
That's how I read it as well, Snoozer. But the wording of the book says that a unit strength of 5 or more is required to hold a table quarter, but an opposing unit will contest it.

The people I play against say that since it doesn't say 'unit strength of 5 or more to contest', just 'unit', means that anything can contest a table quarter.

The fact that you need US5 makes more sense, and I feel it's implied in the wording of the rulebook, but some people seem to need it spelled out exactly word for word.

Snoozer
07-05-2005, 16:42
yes it's sometimes hard to see if the wording of the rules are intetional or did they by misstake left out the some parts of it :)

But think of it this way, a unit of 30 swordmen are "protecting" a table quarter you would think they could handle a single wolf rider, and by so control the area.

Maybe someone else can give a better answer to that question, my rules knowledge ain't the best one most things. I like to use too much logic (in a GW fantasy game)

:)

Warlord Gnashgrod
07-05-2005, 18:33
Well yes, I agree with you. Your position is the same as mine. I'm just playing devil's advocate for the opposing viewpoint.

It's just too bad some powergamers love to see things differently.

Atrahasis
09-05-2005, 15:34
In every tournament I have ever attended, US5 has been required to claim a quarter, but any non-fleeing unit can contest.

peteratwar
09-05-2005, 16:38
This problem came up at a club meeting the other day & was discussed.

We have a member who is heavily involved with rules etc. Apparently you must have US5 to claim AND contest & the rules have been badly written.

I believe tournies will be doing this

Festus
09-05-2005, 16:46
Hi

Most tournaments play that you need a unit of at least US 5 or more to contest quarters. A few also rule that characters can not contest a quarter, even if US 5+.

But the rule itself is clear:

You need an unbroken unit of US 5+ to occupy a quarter, and the same kind of unit can contest one.

Greetings
Festus

nehekharan
09-05-2005, 18:22
In every tournament I have ever attended, US5 has been required to claim a quarter, but any non-fleeing unit can contest.

This has been my experience as well.

I would have to disagree that the wording of the rule in the BRB is clear (hence this thread). Overall, it seems logical to me that you would need US5 to contest. However, "logical" is sometimes relative in WHFB so all I can say is, come to a common agreement beforehand when you are playing friendly games...as for tournies, expect that any unit can contest.

Warlord Gnashgrod
09-05-2005, 20:16
I just looked at the rule again, as it says(almost verbatim) You need a non-fleeing unit of US5 or more and there must be no non-fleeing enemy units in the table quarter to control it.

So I guess it all boils down to what exactly constitutes a 'unit' in Fantasy.

Moi
10-05-2005, 06:50
Everything on the table in WHFB is a unit. The rules say so on page 40 in the intro under Units. Then, a 10 models unit reduced to a single model still count as a unit. Under this rule, any unknown errata excepted, a single model unit would still contest a table quarter. Strange, but legal. Sure hope they change it in some future errata...

Festus
10-05-2005, 08:37
Hi

In the German version, it seems to be different then:

Translation of me:

Divide the playing field into for parts of equal size. Each quarter which is at least occupied by one of your units with an US of at least 5 and which is not fleeing, brings 500 VP (the 500 part is a misprint, later errataed to 100), provided that there is not an enemy unit in this quarter that fulfills the same requirements.

Greetings
Festus

nehekharan
11-05-2005, 06:49
Hi

In the German version, it seems to be different then:

Translation of me:

Divide the playing field into for parts of equal size. Each quarter which is at least occupied by one of your units with an US of at least 5 and which is not fleeing, brings 500 VP (the 500 part is a misprint, later errataed to 100), provided that there is not an enemy unit in this quarter that fulfills the same requirements.

Greetings
Festus

There you have it...good old GW...the part about "the same requirements" is not mentioned in the U.S. version.

Sylass
11-05-2005, 06:57
I seem to remember that the german version is in fact the only one where the "the same requirements" bit is part of the rules.

There was a lot of confusion about this and what rule to use at local tournaments.

Probably one of the very few cases where I'd like to keep an error in the rules. In fact I think they should copy and paste that into all the rulebooks. It just makes more sense this way...

gortexgunnerson
19-05-2005, 17:45
In the UK rules it says to claim you need a US5 unit and no non-fleeing enemy units! And therefore a signle model can contest quarters.

I think is actually a much better rule as it reduces the advantage of swarm armies such as Skaven and Undead which are already dominating the tournment scene at the UK grand tournments.

This rule was upheld by refferees at the UK grand tournment final as the wording of the book states that any unbroken unit can contest. But the whole rules section needs clairifing as you can go one to the other problem over the definition of contains which some argue means that a unit must be wholey within a quarter to be counted. We normally play that a unit is in which ever quarter it has most unitstrength but some have argued that it counts in none! which is a little harsh but does stop unts contesting/claiming more then 1 quarter.

Cheers

Ziom
20-05-2005, 09:42
We play that if a unit is on 2 or 4 quarters, the player must decide which quarter is taken by this unit.

peteratwar
20-05-2005, 13:23
Certainly the rules were badly written. Our club made enquiries & it was accepted that they had written the rule badly but that the intent was that to claim and contest both needed a US of 5. It is hoped that this will be clarified along these lines in due course.

In the meantime we are playing (and in our open Tourney) that a US of 5 is needed for both.

Atrahasis
20-05-2005, 20:14
We play that if a unit is on 2 or 4 quarters, the player must decide which quarter is taken by this unit.

What if its in 3?

peteratwar
23-05-2005, 13:20
You choose. You can only choose 1!!

Greedy :D