PDA

View Full Version : Savage Orc Shman of death

CapitanMee
01-06-2009, 14:55
Granted I haven't played a game in sometime I was looking through the Greenskin armybook and was wondering if a great shaman with Skull Wand of Kaloth, Warboss Umm's Best Boss'at, and Bigged's Kickin' Boots would make and effective monster killer. Assuming that most monsters have a modest leadership, stegodons and varhulfs soon to be my greatest enemy, putting my shaman in a bodyguard group of orcs and hunting theses massive beasts seems like a good way of getting rid of my opponents prize creatures without drawing too much attention. Does this seems like a reasonable tactic?

melgorth
01-06-2009, 15:17
Hmm it could work but I think that it would be a kind of one off tactic as your opponent would be wise to it happening again. Also the stegadon and varghulf are far more likely to get the charge off on your unit and kill the Great Shamen before he gets a chance to strike. IMO you should give the Shamen items that help his spellcasting abilities rather than kitting him out for combat, he would do more damage to the enemies army that way.

branabus
01-06-2009, 15:22
Anyway, the leadership of anything that you're going to be striking at with your Skull Wand (that's worth its points) is probably going to be so high that it won't have any effect on it.
www.avianon.net
Quite good tactics page.

Malorian
01-06-2009, 15:36
Looks like a fun combo but if you are worried about stegs and other monsters then I would suggest more spear chukkas and other warmachines.

Leave the mages back and out of battle.

rtunian
01-06-2009, 17:26
in other words, while savage skull shaman certainly can work for that intent, there are cheaper, less risky, and less inhibiting options that can generally perform the same functions.

Chicago Slim
02-06-2009, 00:43
Yep-- the Skull Wand is another of the "Who TAKES this junk??" kind of Magic Item!

oma
02-06-2009, 06:54
Oh noes! Dont make my wizard doubble task! Kit him that way if you want to, and be careful. Only use such tactics when given a really good option, and dont aim to kill them with the shaman. But it would be one heck of a nasty suprice to any multiwound model out there. I say go for it, just dont use it as a tactic, but more as a "remember, you know what my wizard is capeable of"

Da GoBBo
02-06-2009, 09:54
Loading him up with powerstones and blasting those baddies to kingdom come is probably more effective, but I'd certainly like to see the look on the lizardman players face, smacking his big monster about the house :D

Shamfrit
02-06-2009, 10:46
Suggesting a weak magic missile or Footing of a Stegadon/Lizard army probably isn't as suitable a suggestion as you think. Lizardmen can amount a reasonable magic defence, that is for certain, and you'll want something to mitigate the threat of large terror causers running across the field very quickly at you.

I like the idea, certainly, but you don't need the Best Boss 'At, as you've got 5+/6+ and T5 as is. The extra attack is great, giving you 3 Khaloth attacks as a good potential for killing Stegadons, and Varghulfs, for that matter.

Give the Shaman Waaagh Paint and a Stone and you've got a good dual role caster; mount him in some savage Orc Boar Boyz and you've a VERY effective hammer unit.

Harwammer
02-06-2009, 11:39
my build is:
Savage orc great shaman (level 4) skull wand, kicking boots and either 1) boss hat, 2) amulet of protectyness or 3) waaagh paint.

This model is placed in a unit of black orcs to ensure he can 1) always cast and 2) doesn't panic. Combined with autowaaagh* and a 4/6 chance of having the waaagh spell this unit has a decent chance to get an unexpected charge. Furthermore the unit is given Nork's banner of buchery. Its not unusual for the shaman to have 4 attacks with reroll misses. Even with only Ws3 this can often force enough Ld tests for the enemy to die.

When using a combat great shaman it is a good idea to nominate an orc hero to be the general ;).

@shamfrit: I don't think it is a good idea to mount a savage orc shaman on a boar, managing 14 inch frenzy on a caster lord is an unneccesary inconvenience.

You are probably right T5/6+ ward is enough protection; it frees up points for waaagh paint which nicely compliments the kaloth shaman's role. Waaagh paint makes many spells 1 diceable and so reduces miscasts (which saves the lord from popping and saves the expensive black orc bodyguards from exploding)! Regardless, when playing against enemies with high armour/ward it is really tempting to take the amulet of protectiness, if it borrowed regen too it would be ultimate!