PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Lizards, looking for advice

Word Bearer
01-06-2009, 16:16
I've been invited into a 5 week Campaign/Tournament thing (I'm not fully aware of the details just yet). It's 2000pts and since my only Fantasy army is Goblins I figured I'd give something a little newer and more competitive a shot.

Having been out Fantasy for a while I thought I'd throw my first draft up on here for some feedback.

Slann Mage Priest:
Focused Rumination, Becalming Cogitation, Focus of Mastery
Dispell Scorll, BSB, Warbanner
...450pts

Skink Priest:
Level Two, Diadem of Power, Plaque of Tepok
Engine of the Gods
...430pts

Chakax:
...335pts

10 Skink Skirmishers:
...70pts

10 Skinks:
...50pts

16 Skinks:
2 Kroxigors
...190pts

19 Temple Guard:
Musician, Standard Bearer
...325pts

Salamander:
...75pts

Salamander:
...75pts

2000pts

List is based around VP Denial with the centre block of Slann/Temple Guard/Chakax.
A couple of other options I considered were dropping the Temple Guard down to 15 and removing Plaque of Tepok and the Dispell Scroll which would free up about 100pts, unsure what I'd spend these points on however.
Could also drop Chakax and put in a Skink Chief on Ancient Steg with the Warspeer.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Eulogy2
01-06-2009, 17:18
chakax will never be worth his points, and i think a slann and EOTG in 2k is a bit over kill. if you dropped chakax and the EOTG, id grab a skink chief with a warspear on an ancient steg, and keep the priest on foot. there isnt much in the game thatll hold up to 2d6+1 str 6 impact hits, plus the str 6 attacks of the chief on the charge and the giant blow pipes are awesome too.

the TG should be 16 so you get full rank bonus with the slann in them.

if points allowed a unit of 3 or 4 terradons would really help you out as well.

Word Bearer
01-06-2009, 18:04
Why do you say Chakax isn't worth his points? To me he seems to add alot to the unit and is rock hard hard in combat being able to strike first and re-rolling hits in challenges. For points denial I can't really see a much better character to compliment the unit.

This will be a pretty competitive tournament with some rather magic heavy lists which was my reasoning behind both the Slann and EotG.

Eulogy2
01-06-2009, 18:14
to me 335 points for a 2 wound model is insane. the major difference might be in our play style, as i never go for points denial as i prefer to play extremely aggressive. i guess if you want to keep him for points denial its a fairly safe bet, but for 335 points you can get nice unit of 18 spear saurus which dump out 24 str 4 attacks and still enough points to give em a scar vet if you want a fighty character. id have to believe its going to be harder to take out a unit fo 18 saurus than it will be chakax.