PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh Daemons without Keeper and Masque

Delusionist
01-06-2009, 21:33
I tried to search the forums for a topic like this, and I didn't find one that would directly answer my questions. I bought the book when it came out, and I know daemons get a lot cheese yelling, but I would still like to make this army. So I'd like to do a mono slaanesh army without a keeper or the masque.

The first problem seems to be something that hits hard. I'm thinking of putting a daemon prince in the 2000pt army (I know they suck, but at least they arn't overpowered), but apart from that I can only find a Herald with an Etherblade in a chariot (but that seems a little expensive).

The other problem seems to be magic. The Ld bomb seems like a nice idea (and without the masque not too powerful), but it would almost require a daemon prince with the lore of death (which I would like to include later). And the best I seem to be able to put into 2000pt seems to be 4 lvl (prince+2x Heralds). Is this enough to do anything? With Seekers and Fiends mage huntig shouldn't be too hard, but it still doesn't seem that powerful.

And what's the final call on the torment blade? To me it seems as it would give +1 A, and I think it would be justified as it still takes up one 25pts "slot" (All other gifts cost 25 (apart from wings)) ,so a Herald could only take it and one other gift.

I havn't played fantasy since 7th came out, so I'm not sure if I get anything about this game anymore. I guess I would have to dominate the movement phase and use furies, seekers, fiends and the prince to cripple the enemy, use Siren songs to mess up his plans, and hopefuly use some Ld tricks with the banner and phantasmagoria/doom and darkness. Or something like that.

As echonomy is the factor that keeps me from playing this game, I'd like to do daemons as I can use the models in both systems. And I bought some of the old Daemonettes when I heard that they were making new ones (the old ones are some of my favourite models). I really want this army to work as I have some nice ideas for models. Do you guys think it would be possible to use the Wood Elf Spellcaster models for Heralds and the Deciever for a Daemon Prince? I think the Prince would work fine, but not soo sure about the Elves, they just seem a bit too small.

sulla
01-06-2009, 22:08
I have never been even slightly impressed by the damage my slaaneshi heralds can do in combat. Unless you want them for fluff, I would say avoid them at all costs. Strikes first with her s4 attacks and the unit's s3 usually amounts to not much of anything. Having said that, you have chosen to go down that route so you will just have to learn to deal with it.

Limiting yourself to slaanesh means you will probably want to go quite heavy on seekers and try to scoop up easy points through fast cav, missile units and artillery early in the game. Your infantry will (most likely) not achieve much in the way of kills in most games, so you will have to decide if you want to invest a lot in them to win through static combat res or go cheap and use them as disruption and speedbumps with the banner of ecstasy.

If you don't want a keeper (the real strength of the slaaneshi list) then you will have to go with that daemon prince, flawed though he may be. I'd be tempted to take the etherbalde on him because you really have no counter for armour saves in your force.

Final thoughts; Yes the torment blade gives +1 attack assuming you are not mounted, yes, yoe could use elven sorcerors at a pinch, although I would suggest at least painting them to look a little corrupted. Good luck!

StanMcKim
01-06-2009, 23:40
I've been nothing but impressed by my unit of 20 daemonettes. They always perform beyond my expectations. That many high weapon skill attacks with armour piercing is nightmarish for lighter infantry (elves, humans, goblins, etc.) Toughness 4 enemies are even doable provided they aren't too heavily armoured. Not to mention movement 6. Hot damn. That being said, an entire army of slaanesh lacks serious hitting power. You have to have some way of dealing with Chaos Warriors and the like. Sure the Daemon Prince with Aetherblade is good, but still not great. I really would go with the keeper. After all, you are going pure slaanesh. Just don't cheese him to the max.

-Stan

Jind_Singh
02-06-2009, 09:10
mmm, for a while the muse took me and I played pure slaaneshi for about a month or 2.
On average the army was:

3 20 block units of ladies, FC, siren std
2 * 3 fiends
2 * 6 Seekers, FC, siren std
2 * 6 furies
4 heralds, all are lvl 1, all had etherblades to ignore armour.

The army did really well against a lot of armies, espec T3 armies. Against T4 it was kind of ok - but the biggest thing I like about the lists are the speed freaks! Basic infantry move a nice 6", everything else is 20"!
You can out move any army out there, my favourite game was against lizzes were at the end I had my entire army surrounding his last unit of sarous - I charged from all 4 sides at once!
The combat can suck though, I really have to count on the etherblade-armed HoS hitting and wounding.
You for sure need big blocks as they go down quicker than Slaanesh's Daemonette of the week!
Leave mr Prince out - for the points your better off with 2 HoS!
Have fun - I'm almost finished my khorne urges (been fielding a pure bloodletter horde lately) and I feel the seductive call of slaanesh calling once more!

Briohmar
02-06-2009, 09:19
I second the inclusion of Heralds with Etherblades. They are the only absolute damage dealers I have in my Daemons list, however, the fiends do seem to take an disproportionate amount of fire. Which is fine, as 110 points is close to the most expendable unit in the list. The fiends do tend to do some damage if they make it to the fight though.

dsw1
02-06-2009, 12:18
I have a question that has been bugging me for the past day or so.

How would a slannesh Daemons list deal with, say, a stegadon list (2+ steggies) if the keeper and the masque were not present (either killed or not fielded). How would they deal with things like a steam tank or anything else relatively big and nasty like that? Would it be best to avoid such units and concentrate on other units?

moose
02-06-2009, 12:51
I usually kill the big gribblies with Pavane of Slaanesh, or try to anywho. With four heralds, odds are you'll get one with the spell.

Otherwise, you need to use your good movement to get combined front and flank/rear charges for lots of combat res against something like a steggie.

Moose.

Briohmar
02-06-2009, 13:09
I have a question that has been bugging me for the past day or so.

How would a slannesh Daemons list deal with, say, a stegadon list (2+ steggies) if the keeper and the masque were not present (either killed or not fielded). How would they deal with things like a steam tank or anything else relatively big and nasty like that? Would it be best to avoid such units and concentrate on other units?

I have had pretty good luck with both lists. A BSB Herald with the Icon of despair and Etherblade on Steed of Slaanesh with a unit of Seekers with the Siren Standard in the flank of a steggy can break one in a single turn. Charge the Steg, kill the skinks, and let the Steg take his break test on a 3 (or 4 if its an ancient) then use your 3 dice of pursuit to outrun his 2 dice of flee. If you do it right, you might even manage to cause impact hits on another enemy unit, and hit that unit as well.

With the tank, you just have to avoid it. With the speed and maneuverability of a Slaanesh force, you should be able to take out the Artillery first, then the obligatory shooting unit (or both at the same time if you have fiends, seekers (with Siren Standard,) and furies.) The use your Etherblade heralds to take out the obligatory Knights, use a herald with Siren to get the Outriders to charge his/her unit of deamonettes.

Basically, If you play it right and avoid the tank and the Altar, you will end up with 1400 points plus 3 table quarters, and maybe even a banner or two, while the Empire will be able to wrack up maybe 72 points for a small unit of Furies. You may not get the Massacre, but you will get the solid win.