PDA

View Full Version : New Fantasy Player

Howling_Screamer
28-12-2005, 05:16
Hi, I just got about 40 bretonnian bowmen and 12 knights for Christmas and also a around 14 skaven (I don't know what kind) They are all outdated like 3rd edition at least thats what my uncle told me and I was wondering how I should build my army. I'm a little confuzed about Fantasy rules too any help about troops or basic rules would be very much appreciated. I've been playing 40K for a while so you don't have to explain EVERYTHING to me, but still.... Thanks!

Drake Dun
28-12-2005, 05:38
Actually Games Workshop publishes a book for the exact purpose of answering questions like this. It is called "Warhammer, Fantasy Battle Games" if I remember correctly, although many people who are already into the hobby refer to it simply as "the rule book".

Drake

Rikkjourd
28-12-2005, 10:02
Hang around on the GW website for an hour or two, then buy the army book for the army you like + the rule book.

Griefbringer
28-12-2005, 11:36
Actually Games Workshop publishes a book for the exact purpose of answering questions like this. It is called "Warhammer, Fantasy Battle Games" if I remember correctly, although many people who are already into the hobby refer to it simply as "the rule book".

Actually, it is called "Warhammer - Game of Fantasy Battles".

Term "Battle Game" is coined with the One That Shall Not Be Named.

Griefbringer
28-12-2005, 13:06
Sarcasm aside, let's give some actually helpful advice: first of, if you are looking for grasping the basics of the game, then this tactics section is a bit wrong place - general discussion would be better. If you have trouble grasping a specific rule, then the rules discussion would be the place to go.

As for the skaven, I cannot comment without seeing a picture. However, if the Bretonnians are plastic (and the archers are one piece, two poses) then they are the ones that came in the 5th edition starter boxed set (released in 1996). Still useful models, and the archers can be improved by simple head swaps.

As for the rulebook, if you want to grasp the rules then you need to read through it. However, there is supposedly coming up a new edition (not much changed rules wise, but anyway) within a year, so you might not want to waste too much money on it - see if you can borrow a copy from someone or get a cheap second-hand copy.

Understanding of 40K rules (especially 3rd and 4th edition) is likely to be of limited use in understanding the rules - though they share a number of concepts in common, the actual game play is rather different. Having a 40K mindset while reading through the fantasy rules can actually make it rather difficult to grasp the finer points of the system. Especially the movement system might take some time to really understand - it is rather more restrictive.

PS: use of proper punctuation makes threads easier to read, which will result in more and better responses.

The Black Knight
02-01-2006, 18:07
Those brettonian archers are bad figures (i agree I've got millions of them) but the new figures are not that much better. If you are going to start brettonians you MUST have a unit of grail knights. When charging with the lance formation a small unit of them can take out most units on the charge with their WS5 S5 attacks, a unit of 5 can potentianely take out 2 rhinox rhiders