PDA

View Full Version : Capturing standards

Warlord Gnashgrod
07-05-2005, 06:33
In one game I played, I had charged an enemy unit in the front with one unit and in it's flank with another. I won the combat, but he passed his break test. During his turn, he was able to charge my flanking unit in it's own flank. The unit failed it's panic test, fled, and was run down by the chargers. The guy I was playing with said that he captures the standard from the run down unit. But from what I've read in the rulebook, you only capture standards if they fail a break test, flee from combat, and are pursued. Or if you destroy them completely in hth.

My knowledge of the Fantasy rules aren't as good as I wish they were. Was my oponent right and he does capture the standard? Thanks for the help.

Snoozer
07-05-2005, 12:54
How I have understod it, you make a panic test as soon as he declares the charge and in this case you failed and runned away so that he gets a failed charge, so I don't think he got the standard from you.

But I could be wrong :)

Warlord Gnashgrod
07-05-2005, 16:14
You understand it, except that his charge wasn't a failed charge. His unit was cavalry, while mine was infantry, so he was able to catch them and destroy them. This is what makes him think that he captures the standard.

With this added information, does it mean he captures the standard or not? After all, it wasn't a failed break test, but a failed panic test. The fact that it was a panic test instead of a break test makes me think he doesn't get it. But which one of us is actually right?

taer
07-05-2005, 17:59
No, he does not get the standard. Nor if you survived would you lose it. The only way to lose your standard to the enemy is if you are broken in HTH and he pursues, or if he kills all your dudes.

The Judge
07-05-2005, 22:06
They have to have been in base conract to have picked up the standard as far as we play at my store - if you fail the panic, you flee beofre they touch you, so they trample it down with you rather than grab it and hack down the bearer.
This arguement could go either way, but I would have to say no.

gortexgunnerson
19-05-2005, 18:39
Page 109 Bg Red Book "Note that standards are only lost if the unit is defeated and broken in close combat not if the unit the flees after it has panicked or because of a failed fear test."

Even if caught the unit was wiped out in the movement phase before combat so the banner can't be claimed