Skink Chief- Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, additional hand weapon- 84

Skink Priest- Level 2, Diadem of power- 125

15 Saurus- Full command, spears- 210

15 Saurus- Full command, spears- 210

12 Skinks- Musician- 66

10 Skink skirmishers- 70

Stegadon- 235

TOTAL- 1000 points

The plan is for the chief to war machine/ mage hunt whilst the rest of the army plods forward as one. The saurus units will deploy either side of the stegadon and the skink units will run the flanks. How does it look? I'm a warhammer noob so feel free to critique.

Gaargod
02-06-2009, 19:31
You can easily lose points by taking champions and musicians off the saurus. Also consider going with 12 of them, in 2 ranks of 6.

Uh, not a fan of skink chief with jaguar charm. Either make him a saurus hero - much more able to chop things - or give him Cloak of Feathers for a much more reliable movement. Saurus hero is probably preferable - hero with great weapon, light armour, shield and charm of the jaguar = 124pts, so isn't even that much more expensive, and a lot, lot hittier.

I'd also change the ranked skinks into skirmishers. Only 4pts different, but better at harassment.

I'd say deployment wise, something like stegadon on one flank, then a unit of saurus with scar vet, then the last unit of saurus on the other flank. Skink skirmishers go on extreme flanks to harass people. Saurus hero can jump out with his charm to try and assassinate unwary people.

maze ironheart
03-06-2009, 10:05
I would say drop the unit champ from both saurus 12 points for an extra attack a is not worth it.As for the ranked skink unit I've not used them as I see them as a waste you could take another skirmish skink unit and use it to screen your saurus.When your charged by an enemy the skinks flee your saurus charge next turn and bam enemys got a problom.If you want your skink cheif to deal with warmachines have him ride a terradon and give him the sun bow he flys into a forest the first turn.Then next turn he flys over the war machine drops a rock then shoots it plus if you set up your skirmish skinks to screen block your saurus warriors they will suffer less wounds I've tried this tactic it really works well.

Lucky
05-06-2009, 10:33
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Okay, take two:

Scar-Veteran - Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, Light armour, shield - 118

Skink Priest - Level 2, Diadem of power - 125

12 Saurus - Full command, spears - 174

12 Saurus - Full command, spears - 174

12 Skink skirmishers - 84

3 Terradons - 90

Stegadon- 235

TOTAL - 1000 points

I'd deploy the saurus units in the centre with the skinks screening them. The stegadon and terradons would deploy on the flanks. Per Gaargods suggestion the Scar-Vet would wait in one of the saurus units and pounce when needed. The terradons can hunt warmachines/ flank charge/ harrass.

How does this look, an improvement?

Spirit
05-06-2009, 12:33
Change the stegaon for an EOTG on your priest, this gives you ANOTHER dispell dice and only costs about 60 points, it also gives the steg a better strength and save, and ofcourse the broken EOTG special rules.

Take the EOTG and you will be very unlikely to lose a game at 1000 points.

The saurus dont need a full command, just leave them bare at 1k, maybe take a musician just in case. Its enough to win combats and wont risk 200 victory points being given to the enemy with standard bearers.

Lose the charm of the jaguar and just give him a cold one, relying on a bound spell is not a good idea, people will get wise to it. Also make your saurus a bsb, 25 points for a warbanner and re rolls to panic checks with no downside (unless you get him killed, but with a 1+ or 0+ save on his cold one, this is unlikely. Also, a cold one makes him a fear causer, good for 2 things, one the enemy must take checks to charge him or his unit (at low ld because of 1000 points). Two it makes any unit he joins completely immune to fear, good for when you lose combat to a fear causer that outnumbers you.

sirbone
05-06-2009, 13:07
You have very few troops for 1,000pts. I would consider getting more skinks for screening purposes.

Spirit
05-06-2009, 14:44
You have very few troops for 1,000pts. I would consider getting more skinks for screening purposes.

At the cost of what?

maze ironheart
05-06-2009, 15:08
True a EOTG would be a good investment but you should drop the champion in the saurus units it's just not worth it.

Jetty Smurf
05-06-2009, 18:57
Also make your saurus a bsb, 25 points for a warbanner and re rolls to panic checks with no downside (unless you get him killed, but with a 1+ or 0+ save on his cold one, this is unlikely.

Having him at 1+ makes him difficult to kill, but not being able to equip any magic items due to being the BSB makes him not as desirable.

Also, if he is BSB, who is the general? Certainly not the easy to kill skink priest.

The warbanner is definitely useful, but he can easily generate the required CR with overkill (provided he is given the piranha blade and a champion/hero to chew through).

As for including an EotG in a 1k army... I would think that borders on cheesy, but then again, it's your friends that have to suffer, not you or me. Lets just hope you aren't facing a dwarf army who will warmachine and (once they actually get into it) CC your priest into nothingness leaving your EotG an expensive Stegadon with no real use.

I also recommend dropping the champions on the saurus units. And if you are going to go for blocks of 12 (6x2), I also agree with only have a musician as the unit will most likely die and you don't want to be giving up a cheap 100 pts to your enemy for capturing the standard ;)

Spirit
05-06-2009, 21:19
Having him at 1+ makes him difficult to kill, but not being able to equip any magic items due to being the BSB makes him not as desirable.

Also, if he is BSB, who is the general? Certainly not the easy to kill skink priest.

The warbanner is definitely useful, but he can easily generate the required CR with overkill (provided he is given the piranha blade and a champion/hero to chew through).

As for including an EotG in a 1k army... I would think that borders on cheesy, but then again, it's your friends that have to suffer, not you or me. Lets just hope you aren't facing a dwarf army who will warmachine and (once they actually get into it) CC your priest into nothingness leaving your EotG an expensive Stegadon with no real use.

I also recommend dropping the champions on the saurus units. And if you are going to go for blocks of 12 (6x2), I also agree with only have a musician as the unit will most likely die and you don't want to be giving up a cheap 100 pts to your enemy for capturing the standard ;)

Ok, i will clarify.

A battle standard does not limit your magic items, only a magical battle standard does.

The warbanner comment was because a regular (non magical) battle standard has the same effect as a warbanner (+1 CR), for the same points, with the added bonus of a re-roll to failed break checks.

A re roll on cold blooded ld 6 is better than a standard cold blooded ld8. So yes, a skink priest will be the general, and it wont be the end of the world.

Having the saurus as a general only boosts the ld of the skinks, as he (like saurus) has only Ld8. The stegadon can be ignored because it is stubborn and will very rarely benefit from the ld8 (only if it loses the combat by 1, but even then, as stated a re-roll would be better than ld7)

He asked how to improove the list, i said EOTG, if he wants to make friends with his list he should say so at the get go.

Lucky
05-06-2009, 22:28
He asked how to improove the list, i said EOTG, if he wants to make friends with his list he should say so at the get go.

Fair point, that is what I asked. I should have said that I wasn't looking for a game breaker, my bad.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, especially Spirit as you've posted multiple times. The suggestion to drop the champion and standard is coming up alot, I think that'll be my first amendment to the list. I'm not sure otherwise where I want the list to go, I''ll go and read some more tacticas and battle reports before any formal decisions.

Thanks again.

Spirit
05-06-2009, 23:03
Your very welcome, if i could choose one thing in your list NOT to change, it would be the terradons.

The ability to do 6xS4 hits (on average) to a unit, followed by 3 javelins is stunningly good at any points, and they can be used to instantly kill a unit that flees into them (as they are US6)

There are often people who say terradons are useless, but usually its because they dont know how to use them!

Jetty Smurf
06-06-2009, 19:23
I definitely agree with you on the terradons front, Spirit.

I take terradons in every list, regardless of points. Drop rocks is crazy, and usually is doesn't matter who the target is, those rocks are more than likely to make back the points of the terradons alone.

I have to admit though, for the first few games with my terradons I COMPLETELY forgot about the javelins. So remember kids, poisonous javelins are a GOOD thing ;)

As for the skink priest being general, it was not the LD I was concerned about. It was the fact that he is not a difficult character to kill, thus giving up an easy 100 points. But I have not had as much experience with a skink priest on an EotG as I would like, so this may have just been due to some bad and somewhat limited experiences.

maze ironheart
07-06-2009, 09:13
If he is put on an EOTG and have him take the glyph neckless and a plaque of tepok he'll be protected.I have my skink priest with the same set up an man he is hard to kill a 2+ armour save and a 5+ ward save my cousins skaven assasin and his brettonian lord could not kill him in one go while the steg smashed them too bits hehe.