PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Weapons Question ?

kench1
02-06-2009, 15:58
Ok the rules state that unlike bows thrown weapons always use the formations actual strength rather than S2.

OK so Rohan Oathsworn Militia have S3 thrown weapons whereas Grimbold's Helmigas have S4 thrown weapons, Ents have S8 thrown weapons etc..

Do you reduce the Strength of the shots if over have range (more than 3") it is kind of unclear, as it says they 'always' use the formations strength value. This could mean that they never suffer the -1 penalty for long range.

No preference either way, just want to play as intended.

Jorgen_CAB
02-06-2009, 16:22
Thrown weapons follow the same rules as any other ordinary missile weapon. The difference from a bow is that you use the formations strength as the weapons strength, you may also charge after you have thrown them. Their range is only 6".

In short I would call it that you get -1 strength over half range for thrown weapons as they are no exception to that rule. Though you might argue the wording always to mean that it does not. In my view it would be a close call. I think this is a clear case of bad writing. They should have just said that thrown weapons have the same strength regardless of range and not be as subtle to say always.

Llew
02-06-2009, 17:28
Personally, I would lean towards "always" actually meaning "always" in this instance. (Because of GW's long history of difficulty with "wordage", parsing words and intents always comes up, and is rarely, if ever, able to be resolved to the satisfaction of all.)

The range is so short that we're not talking about a huge difference over the course of a game, and to give the shots a little better chance at getting a wound, I don't think it's unreasonable (as well as supportable by the wording) to leave the full strength value.

Jorgen_CAB
02-06-2009, 17:52
Personally, I would lean towards "always" actually meaning "always" in this instance. (Because of GW's long history of difficulty with "wordage", parsing words and intents always comes up, and is rarely, if ever, able to be resolved to the satisfaction of all.)

The range is so short that we're not talking about a huge difference over the course of a game, and to give the shots a little better chance at getting a wound, I don't think it's unreasonable (as well as supportable by the wording) to leave the full strength value.

I would be inclined to agree, and when I think about it that is how we have played it so far any way. :)