PDA

View Full Version : Epic/Heroic Actions cleared up in WD battle report?

Totengraber
02-06-2009, 20:14
In the June 2009 White Dwarf there is a WotR battle report where, I believe it was Haldir, performs both a Heroic duel and a Heroic Strike consecutively. If I'm not mistaken that has been one of the issues with the rules. Can anyone else confirm this? If needed, I could find the quote from the WD.

Totengraber

Jorgen_CAB
02-06-2009, 21:01
Please do, I don't have that one yet... I was hoping that the new battle report would contain some answers to a few of our questions.

Are there something else interesting in that report?

Quannum
02-06-2009, 22:11
Glorfindel kills a Balrog, then gets eaten by Goblins....

LOL.

Q

Lardidar
02-06-2009, 22:35
Dammit, I was just scanning the WD at a mates but forgot to read it.

Totengraber
03-06-2009, 10:42
WD 353 (June 2009) pg. 38, paragraph 6:

"In the first combat, Haldir declared both a Heroic Duel and a Heroic Combat"

I assume Heroic Combat was supposed to be Heroic Fight:

"...and since it was a Heroic Combat he was able to charge again..."

Totengraber

Jorgen_CAB
03-06-2009, 10:56
That means that you can spend several Might per phase on actions at the start and that the duel are fought before any Heroic Fights. Though, he could of course have called the duel first and the fight second, then we are still in the dark whether how it works. :(

My other question are if Epic Strike can be called together with a Duel or not, did that happen in the report?

Captain_Molo
13-06-2009, 15:40
It would not make any sense and would be a terrible ruling for the game if you could use heroic strike in duels. First you would have 90 point characters like Eomer or Faramir slaughtering characters who cost more than double their points and characters with epic strike would just be king. I really hope this gets answered in an official FAQ. I like this game alot and I hope GW doesn't ruin it in its infancy with poor rulings or RAW cop-outs.

Angelust
16-06-2009, 18:47
Even if for some reason you couldn't epic-strike in a duel, couldn't another epic-striker in your unit do it at the start of the phase, upping the hero's fight to 10 anyway? i.e. take Thryden and use him to call epic strike for the command company a few times...

KaldCB
17-06-2009, 06:48
Why would you not be able to call an epic strike and a heroic duel?
As my understanding is that you can call heroic actions and multiple as you wish. as long as you have might.

Jobu
17-06-2009, 13:51
When I look at the rules it seems to me that a duel is its own stand alone "phase". So an epic strike works in the combat phase but not the duel phase, a heroic fight occurs outside a duel etc. I think that makes the most sense from a games mechanics standpoint because it will make duels more about choosing the appropriate model for a duel based on hero stats and not epic actions.

Axis
22-06-2009, 00:18
It would not make any sense and would be a terrible ruling for the game if you could use heroic strike in duels. First you would have 90 point characters like Eomer or Faramir slaughtering characters who cost more than double their points and characters with epic strike would just be king. I really hope this gets answered in an official FAQ. I like this game alot and I hope GW doesn't ruin it in its infancy with poor rulings or RAW cop-outs.

I really don't want to turn this into another one of *those* threads but the combo is costing 2 might so it isn't as overpowered as you think.

I think that the WD battle report does show multiple heroic actions being taken per phase. I also think that is the most intuitive and common-sense way to read the rules.