PDA

View Full Version : Muster the horses!!!!

wildkarrde0
02-06-2009, 21:28
Trying to build a reasonable tournerment brets army any help will be welcome

1 Bretonnian Lord
General; Heavy Armour; Shield; Grail Vow
Sword of Heroes
Gromril Great Helm
Gauntlet of the Duel
Virtue of Confidence
Barded Warhorse

challenger lord they just I think it is very brets and should be effective i think

1 Damsel of the Lady
Magic Level 1; Barding
Falcon Horn of Fredemund
Warhorse
basic for a little magical protection different item I'm thinking of all the big flappy things that this could aloow me set up charges on
7 Knights of the Realm
FUll Command
Banner of Chalons

lords unit with damsel
1 Paladin Battle Standard Bearer
Heavy Armour; Battle Standard Bearer; Knightly Vow
Virtue of Duty
War Banner
Barded Warhorse

hi combat res battle stanard realitive cheap so should be efective
joins knights errant
8 Knights Errant
FUll Command
Errantry Banner

not sure of the banner would it be worth dumping? or should it stay

9 Knights of the Realm
Full command

9 Knights of the Realm
Full command

9 Knights of the Realm
Full command

pretty standard brets no banners to try keep down point losses

15 Peasant Bowmen Skirmishers
Braizers
Full Command

to harry warmachines

5 Pegasus Knights
gallent

flapply knight yay loats of uses 5 to try to make surethey hit as hard as possible

Casting Pool: 3

Dispel Pool: 3

Models in Army: 65

Total Army Cost: 2000

I know a little weak on magic defences I hope that the armour + blessing will help counter this

stonetroll
02-06-2009, 22:46
Hmmm... I like the amount of Knights you were able to put in your list, but other than that, I'm not so sure about it.

Characters:
Your lord does not seem to have a true purpose. He survives callenges, but what else does he bring? Might as well take a naked paladin as a general imo.

BSB: standerd setup, should work.

Damsel: 3 DD and no scrolls is gonna screw u over bigtime unless your local metagame is VERY light on magic. Sure, armour + blessing will save you from the basic magic missiles, but what on earth will you do against spells like Spirit of the Forge, Infernal Gateway or basically anything that is not the standard 24" D6 S4 magic missile?

Knights: A LOT of horses on the field, but be aware that all those lances are easily redirected. You might want to split some of those lances up to make it more MSU style. Also I'm not too sure on dropping the banners on the big bus lances. Bretonnians quite heavily rely on their static CR to break the enemy.

Bowmen: Good

5 Pegasus Knights: might want to drop them to 3 to be able to rally if only one is left. On the other hand, Malorian loves the setup you have, so it might work. If going for the full 5, I would suggest at least a musician.

Just my 2 cents

Lord Dan
02-06-2009, 23:05
I agree with Stronetroll about the challenge lord. If you're going to have him do the challenge thing, make him hurt things when he does. Might I recommend the following setup, which has worked quite well for me:

Bret Lord
Warhorse, Virtue of Confidence, Gauntlet of the Duel, Lance or Artois, Armor of Agilulf

So not only are you re-rolling to hit and wound in combat, you have WS10 (which means you hit everything that isn't a DE assassin or a bloodthirster on 3's), killing blow, AND your opponent has to accept the challenge. Not bad for 216 points.

I'm a fan of the valorous standard on my BSB. You re-roll break tests due to the BSB rule, and with the Valorous standard you roll 3D6 when you do. If you're in with your Ld9 lord the unit is really hard to break (I've even seen this done with a lone BSB with the Virtue of the penitent, which makes him practically unbreakable. ...that said it's something I wouldn't recommend unless you're having lots of fun with your games).

Not sure about the falcon horn. You can certainly kill some units when they weren't expecting it, but beyond that I'm concerned you won't earn her points back.

That's a LOT of KoTR. I like it.

wildkarrde0
04-06-2009, 20:34
some slight changes

1 Bretonnian Lord
General; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Grail Vow
Birth-Sword of Carcassone
Gromril Great Helm
Virtue of Confidence
Gauntlet of the Duel
Barded Warhorse

got birth sowrd now instead personally killing blow never done much for in games and with rerolls in the challenges hiting on 3's or 4's does bother me much plus i like to be able to take a hit also i did miss his lance in the previous list

1 Damsel of the Lady
Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
Warhorse

I agree not enough magical protection should be in combat on turn two so this should be enough barebones scroll caddy

7 Knights of the Realm
Banner of Chalons
Full Command

lord and lady unit
1 Paladin Battle Standard Bearer
Heavy Armour; Battle Standard Bearer; Knightly Vow
Virtue of Duty
War Banner
Barded Warhorse

keep the battle stanard the same +3 cr is very useful

7 Knights Errant
Full command

dropped errantry banner to give more control and to fit in the scrolls
9 Knights of the Realm
Gallent and Musician

9 Knights of the Realm
Gallent and Musician

9 Knights of the Realm
Gallent and Musician

as before lots of knights

5 Pegasus Knights @ 285 Pts
Musician

have musician now just in case they flee

15 Peasant Bowmen Skirmishers @ 130 Pts
Braizers
Full command
to shoot at warmacine etc

Casting Pool: 3

Dispel Pool: 3 + 2 dispel scrolls

Models in Army: 65

Total Army Cost: 1997

Lord Dan
04-06-2009, 21:44
Much better, though I disagree with your point about killing blow. With the re-roll to wound you have a much higher probability of rolling a 6. With so many T5 characters out there you'll be needing 3's a lot more of the time, and that means both 1's AND 2's get re-rolled. I've have to call upon the mathammer gods of this forum, but the odds of rolling a 6 are actually a lot higher than you'd expect.

Whatever the case, your build is much better.

DirtJumper
05-06-2009, 05:07
Much better, though I disagree with your point about killing blow. With the re-roll to wound you have a much higher probability of rolling a 6. With so many T5 characters out there you'll be needing 3's a lot more of the time, and that means both 1's AND 2's get re-rolled. I've have to call upon the mathammer gods of this forum, but the odds of rolling a 6 are actually a lot higher than you'd expect.

Whatever the case, your build is much better.

4 Attacks, 2/3 hit (assuming on a 3+), which means 8/3 hit. (or 2 and 2/3 hits, if you can understand it better that way.) 1/6 chance for killing blow means that with 4 attacks hitting on 3's, you have a 4/9 chance to score killing blow.

With re-rolls, you will have 1/3 of your hits fail to wound (again assuming on a 3+), which means 8/9 re-rolls, with a 1/6 chance of being a killing blow, so this translates to 4/27'ths extra chance at scoring a killing blow, meaning a total chance of killing blow of 16/27.

So to sum up for anyone who's brain might hurt by now, without re-rolls you have a 4/7 (which is roughly a 57% chance) of scoring a killing blow. With re-rolls, this gets boosted to a 16/27 (or a bit over 59%) chance at scoring a killing blow.

Lord Dan
05-06-2009, 05:35
So to sum up for anyone who's brain might hurt by now, without re-rolls you have a 4/7 (which is roughly a 57% chance) of scoring a killing blow. With re-rolls, this gets boosted to a 16/27 (or a bit over 59%) chance at scoring a killing blow.

60%? Wow, that's actually higher than I thought. Thank you very much.

wildkarrde0
05-06-2009, 06:19
I know the odds It just killing blow never worked for me personally

Lord Dan
05-06-2009, 06:24
How does it not work? Unless the laws of mathematics do not exist at your gaming table...

...which I can actually fully understand and empathize with.

wildkarrde0
05-06-2009, 15:57
yes the dice gods have never liked me using killing blow however we gone off topic really couold his list be competative?

Dark_Knight
06-06-2009, 14:20
I like the math. I might try this now.