PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Actions and new battle report in WD

Jorgen_CAB
03-06-2009, 18:29
I have now read the report in the new White Dwarf and was hoping to find any answer to all our questions. I didn't find any but I did find a new question I would like to shed some lights on.

At some point in the battle there are two Heroic Charges. Now the strange thing, and this is not how we have played it, is that they roll of after they have declare their actions.

I have reread the rules and I can't get this interpretation even if I wanted to.

This would mean that you nominate what action you would like to perform before you roll which side resolves his actions first.

When I think about this it does actually make sense... what are your thoughts about this?

Edonil
03-06-2009, 18:53
page 66, Heroic Actions, paragraph 4. Fully supported in the rules (nods).

Jorgen_CAB
03-06-2009, 19:02
We have played it like this so far...

If both players want to make any actions you roll of and then you decide which character gets to do which action. Once all are nominated you resolve them in the picked order.

I really can't see how the text would explain it in any other way... but hey... they did it like that in the report and I like it better, so i will not complain.

Lardidar
03-06-2009, 19:28
The way it is in WD is the way I have been wanting to play it ... to me it was the only way it made any sense.

Edonil
03-06-2009, 19:49
From what I read in the rules themselves, the player with priority is given the first chance to declare a heroic/epic action. If they choose to do so, they declare their actions. Then the other player is allowed to declare their actions (or may do so first if the first player chooses to pass). You are allowed to react with any more actions/or passing, then the other person, so on, until you have both passed (last part isn't really supported by the rules as written, but it's worked for us). Then you roll off to see which actions happen first, player one or player two.

Nedorus
03-06-2009, 20:31
I've read the rules this way (I currently have to live with the german translation though, which has known errors... ): The player with the priority has the first chance to declare that he wants to take a heroic action (not neccessarily which hero or what action, only a "I want to"). Then the opponent may declare whether he wants to. The player with the initiative may then change his mind.

IF both players want to declare heroic actions they roll off to see who may declare their first action first. After that they take turns declaring actions until all actions have been declared by both side.

Actions are then resolved in the order in which they have been declared.

Not having read the white dwarf or the english version of the rules I can't decide whether this is really the intent but it worked well for us.

cheers
Nedorus

*note to self* "go get that english rule book, dude!"

Jorgen_CAB
03-06-2009, 20:58
I've read the rules this way (I currently have to live with the german translation though, which has known errors... ): The player with the priority has the first chance to declare that he wants to take a heroic action (not neccessarily which hero or what action, only a "I want to"). Then the opponent may declare whether he wants to. The player with the initiative may then change his mind.

IF both players want to declare heroic actions they roll off to see who may declare their first action first. After that they take turns declaring actions until all actions have been declared by both side.

Actions are then resolved in the order in which they have been declared.

Not having read the white dwarf or the english version of the rules I can't decide whether this is really the intent but it worked well for us.

cheers
Nedorus

*note to self* "go get that english rule book, dude!"

That is pretty much how I interpret the English version as well, so I don't think you are alone in how you solve it.

Edonil
03-06-2009, 21:18
Hmm...by RAW (after rereading the rules) it appears that you declare first overall that you want to use Heroic Actions, and then alternate heroes. Personally...after having done it the way I described, it's a bit more intuitive. I'll have to discuss it with the gaming group, we might just house rule it to keep it the way we've been doing it.

Quannum
07-06-2009, 15:41
Nedorus' method is entirely correct according to the rulebook, and I play it that way too.

But, it contradicts what we have seen played in White Dwarf.

Given WD's track record, I'm gonna follow the Rulebook until an errata solves all this, but this is just another example of the shoddiness of the GW rules development department.

Q

Reuben
11-06-2009, 01:23
This brings me to a question. Does use of Heroic action mean that the other side is then prohibited from One-upping the other with a further use? That is, can you use a heroic charge and then I use one to gho back to original order?

Jwolf
11-06-2009, 01:48
This brings me to a question. Does use of Heroic action mean that the other side is then prohibited from One-upping the other with a further use? That is, can you use a heroic charge and then I use one to gho back to original order?

Essentially, the answer to your question is no, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Once one player has declared an Heroic Charge, the other player is free to do the same. Then there is a roll to determine who gets to resolve their charge first. Heroic Charges happen before resolution of the original order - they happen before basic charges (which occur in priority order).

dvdhwk
12-06-2009, 14:54
Once one player has declared an Heroic Charge, the other player is free to do the same. Then there is a roll to determine who gets to resolve their charge first. Heroic Charges happen before resolution of the original order - they happen before basic charges (which occur in priority order).

Just to clarify, you don't declare what heroic actions you use before the roll-off. Both sides simply declare they are using heroic actions, then the roll off, then they take turns nominating heroes and calling epic actions.