PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Deamons instead of CSM!

O'Henry
03-06-2009, 19:40
I've posted a thread to define wheather I should start Slaanesh or Nurgle Marines. But ended up ordering some deamonettes in a local store. So, I'll start deamons of chaos instead.

I'm thinking of a slaanesh combined with tzeentch. Is it a good choice and if it is what models should I buy except for deamonettes, Horrors to start with?

satanslandlady
03-06-2009, 19:58
I mostly run a slaanesh/tzeentch list. Right now my totals are...

50 daemonettes - or was it 40... damn too many of them to count anymore!
10 pink horrors
6 screamers
3 flamers
12 seekers
1 mounted herald
1 slaanesh chariot
3 fiends (2 more coming)
2 soulgrinders
1 masque
1 slaanesh daemon princess
1 keeper of secrets
1 lord of change

Not saying that's what you should buy (I don't take all of these at once obviously) but if you only have daemonettes you got a lot of options for buying :). Horrors are nice though. I wouldn't mind having more myself.

Durath
03-06-2009, 20:26
If you plan on getting Seekers of Slaanesh, start looking yesterday.

They are very rare, and if you find them, you will usually pay a premium to get them.

LonelyPath
03-06-2009, 20:42
Seconded with the Seekers, they're very expensive now (saw 5 go for over 100 on Ebay last week), it is often cheaper to convert your own form plastic Daemonettes and Raveners (which I think look great together).

satanslandlady
03-06-2009, 20:51
Oh I paid the price for my 12 (technically 14 since I made a chariot). Sometimes you can get lucky though but unless you're crazy for them (like me and 20 of those daemonettes are metal) then converting is the way to go.

Durath
03-06-2009, 22:05
Seconded with the Seekers, they're very expensive now (saw 5 go for over 100 on Ebay last week), it is often cheaper to convert your own form plastic Daemonettes and Raveners (which I think look great together).

There's only one Seeker entry on Ebay right now, and 8 of them are up to over $103 with two days bidding left (63 pounds)

This is actually not bad if you compare to the initial price of retail seekers. I think they were $12 a piece ($96).

Granted, these aren't new-in-box, but if all the parts are there, who cares?

Still, with 2 days of bidding left, I'm sure this will do nothing but rise.

Mannimarco
03-06-2009, 22:47
be careful with ebay, ive seen it many a time: people bidding for biddings sake

yeah its oop/rare but you could go ahead and get a new army for what some people are bidding

is the large forgeworld plagubearer really worth 265? no but it sold

Durath
03-06-2009, 22:53
be careful with ebay, ive seen it many a time: people bidding for biddings sake

yeah its oop/rare but you could go ahead and get a new army for what some people are bidding

is the large forgeworld plagubearer really worth 265? no but it sold

Oh, I'm not buying them. I have 9 seekers, which is enough to get me by. I'd like another 11 or so, but they aren't a main-line unit, so I can wait for a potential 5th Ed. version to come out (when/if that ever happens).

But these models are out of production, and were increasingly rare shortly after going out of production. With their inclusion in Codex: Daemons, the demand for them went crazy, and you usually won't find them in any stores, or on Ebay in any quantity.

Mannimarco
03-06-2009, 23:16
fingers crossed for the next splash release of daemons (daemon second wave rumoured to be with planetstrike maybe)

CrownAxe
03-06-2009, 23:49
Fiends are AMAZING, get as many as you can

I suggest converting them though, since their model is about $20

solkan
04-06-2009, 00:40
If you don't mind doing some filing and conversion work, the plastic Cold Ones from the Dark Elf Cold One Knights box could probably be made into decent mounts for seekers. That'd be about $5 per mount if you bought some knight boxes and about $2 per rider from the Daemonette boxes, compared to the about $12 or more per model that I've seen the old figures going for on eBay.

O'Henry
04-06-2009, 12:12
Are seekers that good? I mean ok with the speed but they are too fragile.

world in grey
04-06-2009, 12:45
if you've only bought 1 unit of daemonette then there is nothing to stop you still doing chaos marines and using your daemons as a summoned unit

O'Henry
04-06-2009, 12:49
Yes I know but I like Deamons a bit more. They are very different than any other force in the 40k Universe (at least for now). And CSM don't have so many slaanesh models.

Mannimarco
04-06-2009, 13:53
nobody has many clut units, slaanesh has lucius and the noise marines, and an EC lord who may be oop i cant remember, nurgle has typhus, plague marines and plague havoks if they are still available, tzeentch has ahriman and the thousand son models and khorne has kharn and plastic berserkers, slaanesh is no worse of than the rest of the gods

satanslandlady
04-06-2009, 14:44
Are seekers that good? I mean ok with the speed but they are too fragile.

If you bought daemonettes, then you already know they're fragile but for a few more points you get a faster unit plus an additional attack. Usually they'll be striking first, and like daemonettes, they rend. At the worst, they usually scare opponents enough into focusing too much on killing them providing a good distraction for your troops to get into combat instead of ending up dead in the first shooting phase. Personally though I put them in the 2nd wave since they are fragile and fewer of them.

Durath
04-06-2009, 17:30
If you bought daemonettes, then you already know they're fragile but for a few more points you get a faster unit plus an additional attack. Usually they'll be striking first, and like daemonettes, they rend. At the worst, they usually scare opponents enough into focusing too much on killing them providing a good distraction for your troops to get into combat instead of ending up dead in the first shooting phase. Personally though I put them in the 2nd wave since they are fragile and fewer of them.

This is exactly correct.

But rending is definitely not as reliable as it used to be, which makes the Seekers a tough buy for the points.

Here's a true story of what I mean...

I was fighting my brother's Ultramarines. He brought a null field Librarian, and was subsequently having his way with my daemons. Despite that, he made a couple tactical blunders and put himself in a postion to lose the game.

It came down to a couple key assaults, one of which was a charge from a pack of 7 Seekers I had roaming around against a 5-man Tactical Combat Squad of Space Marines. They were in Cover, but Daemonettes get the equivalent of frag grenades, so I thought this squad was as good as dead.

I charged and got 35 attacks. I hit 14 times... I rended ZERO times, and wounded 6 times. He made every save.

His return attacks killed every single Seeker.

I was baffled. But then I did the math... apart from the rends missing, I actually had near average dice. His saves were a stroke of good luck for him... but the return attacks proved my undoing. My dice failed me. I made zero saves, and he hit and wounded a bunch.

Seekers can be nasty, but you need lots of 6's for them to be. Otherwise, they are meh and usually can't withstand any sort of punishment.

CrownAxe
04-06-2009, 18:00
Seekers and nettes aren't amazing

personally i would rathe take more netter for objective capture

If you want beast units, take fiends

satanslandlady
04-06-2009, 18:28
This is exactly correct.

But rending is definitely not as reliable as it used to be, which makes the Seekers a tough buy for the points.

Here's a true story of what I mean...

I was fighting my brother's Ultramarines. He brought a null field Librarian, and was subsequently having his way with my daemons. Despite that, he made a couple tactical blunders and put himself in a postion to lose the game.

It came down to a couple key assaults, one of which was a charge from a pack of 7 Seekers I had roaming around against a 5-man Tactical Combat Squad of Space Marines. They were in Cover, but Daemonettes get the equivalent of frag grenades, so I thought this squad was as good as dead.

I charged and got 35 attacks. I hit 14 times... I rended ZERO times, and wounded 6 times. He made every save.

His return attacks killed every single Seeker.

I was baffled. But then I did the math... apart from the rends missing, I actually had near average dice. His saves were a stroke of good luck for him... but the return attacks proved my undoing. My dice failed me. I made zero saves, and he hit and wounded a bunch.

Seekers can be nasty, but you need lots of 6's for them to be. Otherwise, they are meh and usually can't withstand any sort of punishment.

Slaanesh can be iffy with marines. Similar senario I ended up with I believe a tied combat. Every chaos god has its benefits but the dice love me :)

Back to the original post: Seekers have a soft spot with me but definitely pick up some screamers (like 5 or 6) for the fast attack slot. They nom nom tanks like nothing.

jsullivanlaw
04-06-2009, 21:10
I run Slaanesh and Tzeentch, just started and doing well so far. Nice mix of shooting and CC. Tzeentch is great for thining out the return fire after you deep strike. Nurgle feels too weak and slow for me and while Khorne is killy, I prefer the speed and initiative of Slaanesh.

Keeper of Secrets is my favorite HQ. With high Initiative and tons attacks on the charge with offensive and defensive grenades he goes first and eats what he is hitting. You can give him hit and run to keep out of tarpit.

No one seems to like screamers but i run with 2 units of 4 to hit tanks and contest objectives since they are jetbikes and really fast.

Fiends are the best elites. I had 6 fiends take down assault termies with lysander. They are beasts so awesome charge range plus fleet is great for getting into cc.

Flamers are great suicide drop squads, can kill an entire squad of marines with just 3 of em if you roll at hit on deep strike and don't bone your wound rolls.

aberrant_unc
04-06-2009, 22:33
The Daemon list is sooooo much more interesting to build armies compared to the CSM list. The Daemons have a lot more good units that serve unique purposes compared to the bland, cookie cutter, flavorless CSM list.

Durath
04-06-2009, 23:07
The Daemon list is sooooo much more interesting to build armies compared to the CSM list. The Daemons have a lot more good units that serve unique purposes compared to the bland, cookie cutter, flavorless CSM list.

Can't say I disagree.

I just wish we could elect to deploy the units instead of manditorily Deep Striking with them. Losing games to a couple bad Deep Strikes is not only deflating, but not very fluffy either.

I've never read about Daemons forming half in a wall... Space Marines perhaps... but never Daemons. Daemons come from the Warp, are made of the Warp, and control the Warp. They should have better control over where they come in (at least initially).

O'Henry
05-06-2009, 09:26
Can't say I disagree.

I just wish we could elect to deploy the units instead of manditorily Deep Striking with them. Losing games to a couple bad Deep Strikes is not only deflating, but not very fluffy either.

I've never read about Daemons forming half in a wall... Space Marines perhaps... but never Daemons. Daemons come from the Warp, are made of the Warp, and control the Warp. They should have better control over where they come in (at least initially).

True but this codex was acctually made to decide if daemons should form their own army or be together with chaos. Maybe the next codex will change that
In additin it gives the army something unique like orders in a IG army or they shall know no fear in a SM army.
I guess I'll buy some screamers too because my friend plays IG and I really hate those new Valkyries:evilgrin:

aberrant_unc
05-06-2009, 13:17
Don't screamers still have to roll a 6 to hit a valkyrie moving at combat speed? WIth only one attack I just can't see them being worth the points really...

O'Henry
05-06-2009, 13:42
hmm... That's right but they are effective against other tanks too.

The bad thing with daemons is that the Keeper of Secrets has an awful model. What can I use instead?Can whoever has some picks of his own Keeper post them.
TY

satanslandlady
05-06-2009, 14:29
Don't screamers still have to roll a 6 to hit a valkyrie moving at combat speed? WIth only one attack I just can't see them being worth the points really...

They're cheap in my opinion for what they can do. All you need is one usually to hit and it's all over for that tank :evilgrin: Typically I've been rolling 4's to hit and then immobilizing if not destroying a tank in the first go.

The bad thing with daemons is that the Keeper of Secrets has an awful model. What can I use instead?Can whoever has some picks of his own Keeper post them.
TY

Well what don't you like about it? I don't think it's bad. Not really that much else for games workshop that would fit the size. If you want to look outside games workshop there are plenty of other models. I have Sophie from reaper miniatures as my daemon princess.

O'Henry
05-06-2009, 14:41
Well what don't you like about it? I don't think it's bad. Not really that much else for games workshop that would fit the size. If you want to look outside games workshop there are plenty of other models. I have Sophie from reaper miniatures as my daemon princess.

No, she is just too sweat for a deamon prince. A good model to decorate my room though:angel:

satanslandlady
05-06-2009, 14:52
No, she is just too sweat for a deamon prince. A good model to decorate my room though:angel:

She's very distracting which Slaanesh should be on the battlefield. Mine's completely naked :D

O'Henry
06-06-2009, 11:43
Ok. I think I'll buy 1 more box of Deamonettes, the masque (for a herald) and 2 boxes of pink horrors.
After that some fiends of slaanesh and the greater deamon along with a soulgrinder.

dal9ll
07-06-2009, 00:38
Daemons are infinitely more fun to play with than CSM. Your unit choices are more interesting, the models are better, plus less people know how to play against them.

I will say however that Daemons are more difficult to use effectively. When you win, it will be a bloodbath, when you lose, it will also be a bloodbath, but not the good kind. Mechanized armies are your bane too.

Corpse
07-06-2009, 09:20
A good synergetic combo are Fiends of Slaanesh with Horrors and Flamers of Tzeentch. Reasoning is that Fiends will keep things tied down until you get to shoot, they will "hit and run" away conveniently for when you want to shoot things. They have great speed and durability for their cost, better then daemonettes. (Treat each one as two daemonettes, 2 wounds at toughnesds 4 with the same number of melee attacks at higher strength with rending)

Fiends > Daemonettes. Make great partners for shooting daemons.

O'Henry
07-06-2009, 10:07
Daemons are infinitely more fun to play with than CSM. Your unit choices are more interesting, the models are better, plus less people know how to play against them.

I will say however that Daemons are more difficult to use effectively. When you win, it will be a bloodbath, when you lose, it will also be a bloodbath, but not the good kind. Mechanized armies are your bane too.

You should see the bloodbath that happens when I play Tau and some summoned lesser deamons reach my units. This is nothing compared to that:)

I like the idea with the fiends presented bellow though. Why do they have to be so expensive (real life money):cries:

CrownAxe
07-06-2009, 10:10
You should see the bloodbath that happens when I play Tau and some summoned lesser deamons reach my units. This is nothing compared to that:)

I like the idea with the fiends presented bellow though. Why do they have to be so expensive (real life money):cries:

i made a conversion of 10 Fiends with a box of nettes and the spiders from WHFB O&G Spider riders box (& Green stuff) for $50

O'Henry
07-06-2009, 10:33
i made a conversion of 10 Fiends with a box of nettes and the spiders from WHFB O&G Spider riders box (& Green stuff) for $50

wenen't they a bit small for fiends. Anyway I like your idea I may do it myself as I know where to find cheap spider riders. It's all up to my grandma though. If she gives me some money for passing all my exams then I'll just buy the GW ones:D