PDA

View Full Version : dark elves why take warriors over Corsairs?

whimplow
04-06-2009, 13:03
Just getting back into fantasy after being away for sometime.

It appears that Corsairs and Warriors cost the same amount of points.

The Corsairs have better options superior stats(save) and the figures are a lot nicer.

Am I missing something that would make the Warriors a better choice in some situations?

I guess if your using spears they are cheaper, but especially is there any reason to take repeat xbow warriors of corsairs?

xragg
04-06-2009, 13:08
Warriors are almost half the cost of corsairs.

Time of Madness
04-06-2009, 13:11
I thought this was a joke. Are you sure you have the right book?

Warriors are far cheaper then corsairs! You can get a unit of 20 with shields and full command for 150ish pts.
Time of Madness

whimplow
04-06-2009, 13:22
I should rephrase that I mean when taking them with repeater xbows for some long distance fighting

Lordmonkey
04-06-2009, 13:31
Warriors are far cheaper then corsairs! You can get a unit of 20 with shields and full command for 150ish pts.

It depends on the job you want them to do. For static CR, Dark Elf Warriors are great. A unit of 25 deployed 5 wide with a War Banner often forms a solid core to the army (195pts), and they are great fodder if you have a sorceress with the sacrificial dagger. In addition, with 11 hatred attacks before casualties they might feasably kill something. Ws4 helps to mitigate the number of attacks that actually hit them, too.

They are good at standing still and not losing until support arrives.

Personally, I like to deliver the charge rather than receive it. My list involves a unit of 14 corsairs with 2 HW's and Frenzy (175pts I think) deployed 7 wide. Less static CR, but they can dish out 21 hatred attacks. I usually give them Killing blow from the cauldron, which makes them a formiddable core choice on the charge. They also have a better armour save vs shooting, and the Slavers rule (if that's what it's called) helps them to catch their prey. There are, however, almost half of them in the unit, so when they start losing they are as good as dead.

So it depends on what you need. A unit of each could work?

Lord Khabal
04-06-2009, 13:34
But in that case arent witches a better choice?

Draconian77
04-06-2009, 13:45
Special choice, Frenzy, can't be joined by non-Khainite characters, same magic banner options, no save.

No, in other words. :D

Nurgling Chieftain
04-06-2009, 15:27
I should rephrase that I mean when taking them with repeater xbows for some long distance fightingThat doesn't make any sense. Warriors with repeater x-bows have a 24" range. Corsairs with repeater handbows have an 8" range. If it's range you're looking for, the warriors are the obvious choice.

whimplow
04-06-2009, 18:24
ok now i am clear, didnt have the book with me as I was playing around with lists from work...

Thanks all for the clarification

Cousteau
04-06-2009, 20:09

It depends on the job you want them to do. For static CR, Dark Elf Warriors are great. A unit of 25 deployed 5 wide with a War Banner often forms a solid core to the army (195pts), and they are great fodder if you have a sorceress with the sacrificial dagger. In addition, with 11 hatred attacks before casualties they might feasably kill something. Ws4 helps to mitigate the number of attacks that actually hit them, too.

They are good at standing still and not losing until support arrives.

Personally, I like to deliver the charge rather than receive it. My list involves a unit of 14 corsairs with 2 HW's and Frenzy (175pts I think) deployed 7 wide. Less static CR, but they can dish out 21 hatred attacks. I usually give them Killing blow from the cauldron, which makes them a formiddable core choice on the charge. They also have a better armour save vs shooting, and the Slavers rule (if that's what it's called) helps them to catch their prey. There are, however, almost half of them in the unit, so when they start losing they are as good as dead.

So it depends on what you need. A unit of each could work?

How are you getting these numbers? 25 with shields, standard bearer, and warbanner is 206 points, with no musician or champion included.

Shimmergloom
04-06-2009, 20:15
20 w/ full command are 135pts.

I think he forgot shields are +1pt per model to make them 155pts w/shields.

dwarfhold13
05-06-2009, 01:23
and also something to think about.. repeater crossbowmen shoot at 24", can move and fire, can double tap, and have armour piercing bows.. i always take 2 units of 10.. can really clear out the meat of an army if you hit enough