PDA

View Full Version : Another "help me choose an army" thread

IkuTurso
04-06-2009, 15:23
Hey, I am in process of finishing my updated khorne mortals army and I have 2k points of wood elves.

I cant decide between 3 armies to build next:

Empire: I have bought some badly painted figures not quite sure how much of them but im thinking around 30 foot soldiers and a cannon
I would make it my "gunline" as i dont have a real shooty army yet and find it facinating.

Lizardmen: I got a saurus warrior reg. and a skink unit free from my friend who quit, and I would build this army with a powerfull slann. painting these could be interesting but im not sure if I would like an army with basically just a couple of expensive units game vise.. correct me on this.

O&G:I have the army book,the gobbos from the starter pack and a orc boyz unit. Basically I think this army would be fun overall altho some say they lack compared to the newer armybooks.

All help appreciated :angel:

Ultimate Life Form
04-06-2009, 15:28
1) Don't know about Empire. Can't help you there.

2) Sadly, I can do nothing to cheer you up here. LM, regardless of build, IS an army of a couple of expensive units. Except for 400 Skinks, who with T2 will die instantly to anything. If you don't like it, don't do it.

3) Orcs need determination. They can be a fun army to play, but you must like them. If you're not 100% sure you want them, you better leave them alone.

IkuTurso
04-06-2009, 15:51
About lizards, I fought a game against the previous book and the guy had a slann in tg unit, fliers, blowpipe skinks, slamanders, a fast hero, and something else in his list, it was a very interesting game. Is this what the new book is like or is it less tricky and more "all tricks in 1 pony" type?

Ultimate Life Form
04-06-2009, 16:01
In my opinion, the list greatly improved in terms of versatility. This includes new Magic Items with interesting new effects and effectively a new type of Core Unit. The LM book allows for customizing your army more than most books I know. It can be a wall of hard-hitting troops, or it could be a skirmish army, which seems to be more to your liking. The troops you mentioned are still viable, unfortunately, they mostly got more expensive. Most importantly, the Salamander completely changed and its role is now filled by the Razordon, so maybe you want this. The Terradons got considerably weaker, but they can now drop rocks which can really hurt single models. All in all, I think it lost some of its power, but gained a lot of tactical depth and added trickiness, so maybe that's good for you.

IkuTurso
04-06-2009, 16:35
Thanks, that doesnt sound bad.
Any other wievs, maybe about empire anyone? :)

Troah
04-06-2009, 17:33
@.@ Lizzardmen.

The Red Scourge
05-06-2009, 07:39
How about skaven?

Like you I did WoC, WE then jumped to VC, but I was so close to doing the vile ratmen instead – I wanted an army with lots of ranked regiments and reliant on static CR :)

Condottiere
05-06-2009, 08:34
Don't start with O&G unless you have a sense of humour; Empire is a very conventional human army, aside from Pigeon bombs and the robot horse they borrowed from the Galaxy Rangers; Lizzies are more exotic, and might be a plus if you enjoy Aztec/Incan type imagery.

Kevlar
05-06-2009, 09:37
Skaven aren't really fun to paint, and they took all the cool characters away. I hope some come back with the 7th ed. book. I miss Lord Skrolk and the Deathmaster. Not to mention my poor Verminlord, he's the reason I bought skaven, one of the few models who could hand a bloodthirster its ass in combat.

IkuTurso
10-06-2009, 17:26
Red Scourge the last army I would do is skaven :D

I dunno why really, I just dont like them at all.

I know all about orcs and their humour, thats why I like them.

I went with empire btw, wiht my exiting models I can make the army for about 150 euros buing from maelstrom games :)

I shall make orcs and lizzies later too but shooty empire gunline stole my love this time ^^