PDA

View Full Version : Outdated Imperial Armour?

Bathawk
04-06-2009, 20:56
Been checking though Ebay to see if I can find a copy of the Imperial Armour books without having to buy from the UK (for one not sure how much they translate into American Bucks)

But I'm curious, with things such as the Valkyrie, Leman Russ variants and Hydra cannons are now part of the "official" IG codex

how much of Imperial Armour is still relevant? At least as far as the fist book is concerend

Dark_Angel26
04-06-2009, 21:52
xe.com

It'll let you translate pounds to bucks

DaSpaceAsians
04-06-2009, 21:59
I know that Volume One is outdated since the codex changed most of the vehicles that were worth something

THUNDERBOLT
04-06-2009, 22:15
Its not to badly put out by the new codex it has all the rules for the special kit and it has better rules for the super-heavy's
if you want to use them in normal 40k also includes a great deal of background information on the imperiums armored forces.

mrln68
05-06-2009, 00:14
Some of the most valuable information in the Imperial Armor books are the drawings, background and related fluff. If you are just interested in the rules - pick up a copy of Imperial Armour: Apocalypse and the normal GW books (IG Codex, Apocolypse Reloaded). They cover a good chunk of the tanks and stuff from the first book (and others as well).

Bathawk
05-06-2009, 00:17
yeah I have APocalypse and with it having the Baneblade, the Thunderhawk and the Squiggoth, plus Codex: IG having Valkyrie/Vendetta Leman Russ variants and Hydra's didn't knwo if there was anything left in Imperial Armour.1

Bathawk
05-06-2009, 00:28
xe.com

It'll let you translate pounds to bucks

thanks...but whoa...am I reading the converions right? book three is 80 bucks american?

Pacific
05-06-2009, 00:32
The later books, specifically Vraks parts 1 and 2, have points values and other things which are far more inline with the current codex (certainly with the point value of things like infantry). A couple of the artillery options, such as the quad launcher and heavy mortar, are also pretty much inline with points value, and are pretty characterful!

Of course, if you want to do an official traitor guard list, these are the only rules in print at the moment also.

mrln68
05-06-2009, 00:32
"Imperial Armour: Apocalypse" is different from Apocalypse...

It includes a bunch more Baneblade variants, the Manticore, the Gorgon, Mecharius and variants, Malcador and variants, Aquila Lander, Lightning, Marauder Destroyer, Vulture, Arvus Lighter as well as a lot of other units from the other armies.

I can do a full one for one comparison to see if anything is missing - but I am pretty sure that between that and the other books it pretty well covers everything for the Guard up to and including IA:5 (barring some of the artillery).

And yes, Forgeworld likes their books a lot.

boogle
05-06-2009, 00:33
FW are meant to be working on FAQ and updates to match the new IG Codex, so I'd keep waiting if i were you, before making the purchase

Pacific
05-06-2009, 01:00
Or just go ahead and buy Volume 3: Taros, which is in my opinion by far the best account ever of the Imperial War machine, and the use of space marines in a campaign! :)

Epicenter
05-06-2009, 01:04
IA1 is pretty much totally outdated now. I have it from Forgeworld's luminaries they would prefer you to use IA:A stats for most of their vehicles and equipment. Or for those of us who don't want to pay the points for like four Terminators for one Hydra, we can always use the new Codex IG where they're more appropriately priced for their fragility.

Or just go ahead and buy Volume 3: Taros, which is in my opinion by far the best account ever of the Imperial War machine, and the use of space marines in a campaign! :)

Losing to the Power of GW's Taulove? ;)

I thought the use of the Red Scorpions in Vraks 3 was more Space Marines.

boogle
05-06-2009, 01:09
IA1 is pretty much totally outdated now. I have it from Forgeworld's luminaries they would prefer you to use IA:A stats for most of their vehicles and equipment. Or for those of us who don't want to pay the points for like four Terminators for one Hydra, we can always use the new Codex IG where they're more appropriately priced for their fragility.

Losing to the Power of GW's Taulove? ;)

I thought the use of the Red Scorpions in Vraks 3 was more Space Marines.

Vraks 3? That's not out yet is it?

Epicenter
05-06-2009, 01:12
Vraks 3? That's not out yet is it?

No it's not. 2, my mistake. Been hanging around Tzneetch too much lately. :angel:

Sir_Lunchalot
05-06-2009, 01:36
The later books, specifically Vraks parts 1 and 2, have points values and other things which are far more inline with the current codex (certainly with the point value of things like infantry). A couple of the artillery options, such as the quad launcher and heavy mortar, are also pretty much inline with points value, and are pretty characterful!

What copy of IA 5 have you been reading? I'm not sure about you but the Death Korps of Krieg list in my version of IA5 looks almost exactly like an army with the Krieg doctrines from the last codex, what with a standard Guard squad being 80 points with hardened fighters and die hards.

The artillery rules are neat, but I'm expecting forgeworld to re-release all their variant IG lists in an FAQ, or in a new IA book.

Bathawk
05-06-2009, 01:56
speaking of which was going to post another thread about the Tyrannid spore chimney's (or whatever)

the Forge World website states the rules for them are in an issue of White Dwarf? found that extremely weird, they didn't reprint it in the Ampehlion Project ofr anything?

mrln68
05-06-2009, 02:23
Spore Chimneys are in IA4 as well as Capillary Towers and the Brood Nest.