PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for Magic Resistance?

Shimmergloom
06-06-2009, 16:26
The latest errata's/FAQ for Dark Elves mention that Null Talisman's can be used like scrolls, meaning multiple characters can carry them and can carry more than one.

Should I replace the ring of hotek(which is dangerous to your own spell casters and I plan on having 3-4 casters of my own) with 2 talisman's for my general. Replace a scroll with a talisman or 2 and replace the soul render that I have for my black guard champ(just so he'd have magical attacks, plus S5 AP, which is good too) with another talisman?

If I did the following, I could have MR2 for my cold ones, MR1 for the cauldron(which it naturally has), MR1 for my black guard and MR 1 or 2 for my big warrior unit.

With only 6 or 7 regular dispel dice in a big tourney where I am expecting alot of magic, this could help alot. Or should I just keep that scroll and ring(at the risk of my own casters)?

Although not against alot of VC magic. But the ring of hotek won't stop/discourage the invoc's anyway.

Shamfrit
06-06-2009, 16:34
I have to say Shimmer, ever siince the change to Magic Resistance it's ability has both improved and weakened. On the one hand, it doesn't protect against area effect spells, on the other, people will not expect it as they'll view it as a weaker ability now.

It'll give you the coverage from the big damage spells which would otherwise tear through lightly armoured Dark Elves, and give you those dispel dice every turn, instead of just clipping away one spell with your scroll. If you can get the MR army wide or near enough, it will be better than the Ring of Hotek anyday, as you're then free to go magic heavy or moderate magic in return, keeping your magic defence and upping offence.

Gaargod
06-06-2009, 16:50
I'd say if you're going moderate-to-heavy magic yourself, then yes it will probably work well. 6 or so dispel dice and a scroll or 2 will help to neutralise the stuff that MR alone doesn't stop.

Mind you, they'll probably then hit your units without MR...

Shamfrit
06-06-2009, 17:34
They can send as many magic missiles at your non Black Guard units all they like :D

Shimmergloom
06-06-2009, 18:01
It's 3k games. So the only units who won't be covered by MR is harpies, dark riders, crossbows, hydra, bolt throwers, chariot(s) and shades.

Of those all but the hydras and bt's are low points fairly expendable units. If they are focusing magic at shades or harpies, then like Shamfrit said, they are not focusing at black guard.

WarlockOMork
09-06-2009, 22:56
would take the amulets, due to you wanting to take many mages yourself.

(unless you fancy blowing up your own casters)

and as you said, they'll probaly avoid casting at your MR units, but aint that a good thing? :p

(you only have to hope you'll not face counts as against them it doesnt work, but against anything else it should do nice enough)
(even more due to the suprise factor)