PDA

View Full Version : The odd benifit of price increase

The Base
08-06-2009, 00:11
Basically every time the prices at GW go up, there is on on side effect.

Everything at forge world seems that much more affordable.

The price of a metal IG command squad in Canada is $45. The cost of FW command squad, depending on the exchange rate can even be slightly less.

While the rising cost of the standard quality stuff is just something we all have to live with, at least it just brings the higher quality stuff more within reach.

Lord of Worms
08-06-2009, 00:19
In a certain sense you are correct, but realistically all any of this means is less purchases overall.
The odd benefit I'm noticing is that I'm actually getting stuff finished instead of a pile of half-assembled/converted stuff.

Condottiere
08-06-2009, 00:23
You have the opportunity and motivation to ascertain if re-imports are really as economical as claimed.

spaint2k
08-06-2009, 07:01
The price of a metal IG command squad in Canada is $45. The cost of FW command squad, depending on the exchange rate can even be slightly less.

Don't worry. You won't benefit from this in Canada at all. Any package you try to bring into the country valued at more than the princely sum of $18 will be subject to import duties. You'll get asked for duties, GST and the biggest slap in the face will be the "handling charge", which in many cases will be more than the sum of the taxes you'll have to pay.

I lived in Canada for many years and I hated it.

Steve

Duke Georgal
08-06-2009, 11:31
I placed an order with FW earlier in the year because IG tank kits with special options became affordable due to exchange rates and price increases.

They took so long to deliver that I probably will not do it again.

sigur
08-06-2009, 11:45

One would think that all these stupid poor people would finally quit altogether but they keep coming and coming. :rolleyes:

;) Just kidding. While you may have a point about the price of relative FW prices I think it's a kinda moot point. I think that ebay mostly benefits from price hikes eventhough nowadays much of the stuff there is not really cheaper as buying it at GW's, especially all that "New in Box/Blister" stuffs. (please, no ebay stories now)

FictionalCharacter
08-06-2009, 12:12
gw becoming less affordable does not make forge world more affordable...

zedeyejoe
08-06-2009, 12:26
I can think of a couple:

Value of my present armies increases
Means I get more time gaming, than building new armies

Templar Ben
08-06-2009, 12:47
It also helps other companies. More suppliers is more beneficial to customers.

Maarten K
08-06-2009, 12:52
Don't worry. You won't benefit from this in Canada at all. Any package you try to bring into the country valued at more than the princely sum of $18 will be subject to import duties. You'll get asked for duties, GST and the biggest slap in the face will be the "handling charge", which in many cases will be more than the sum of the taxes you'll have to pay.

Steve

I can't see anyone other than GW valuing any GW models over 18 bucks ;)

Customs-officer: 'what's this, a box of 5 plastic toy soldiers?, mmm can't be worth more than a fiver, let's pass that on"

Templar Ben
08-06-2009, 12:55
The shipper puts the value on the customs declaration so if GW says it is worth $1000 then you pay duty as if it were worth $1000.

ehlijen
08-06-2009, 12:55
It also helps other companies. More suppliers is more beneficial to customers.

That is correct assuming full compatibility between suppliers. Cars are built to drive on the same roads, milk is milk no matter who owns the cow. But for games that rely on more than one person bringing vital gaming pieces to the table, this increase in numbers of incompatibably different products can lead to a fragmentation of the gaming comminuty as a whole with the end result that no single game remains big enough to keep a company afloat.

Not saying that will happen, or that that'd be all as bad as I fear it could be; just that I for one would be annoyed if any of the gaming stuff collections I own would become useless because everyone I know starts playing other games I don't like instead.

Templar Ben
08-06-2009, 13:12
You can use the same models in other game systems and you can use other models in GW's games.

loveless
08-06-2009, 14:04
Benefit to GW price increase - it makes it easier for me to buy Privateer products, since the difference in model/$$$ is less :p

sheck2
08-06-2009, 14:06

Everything at forge world seems that much more affordable.

It does not make them more affordable...just less of a price difference.

Charax
08-06-2009, 14:35
GW prices going up makes FW more psychologically affordable, just not more literally affordable (if you couldn't afford FW stuff before, GW's prices going up won't change that)

The Base
08-06-2009, 16:38

Steve

Well currently I think it is below $25 that they don't charge tax on.

However over the years I have had many packages delivered that were clearly marked as being $50 or more, and not paid tax on them.

Even with the $5 handling charge I am still ahead just because they tend to be so sloppy in their collections.