PDA

View Full Version : Need help with super cheesey list

obsequiousmelon
08-06-2009, 00:16
Hi all new to fantasy :confused: and want to do Vampire Counts. Can anyone please give me suggestions on this list 2000pt list. I've been told that Vampires can be super cheesy, is this too much or not enough? Thanks for all suggestions.

Here's a preliminary idea.

Vampire Lord
-Flayed Haubrek
-Wristbands of black gold
-Red fury
-Flying Horror
-Skabscrath
-+1 magic level

Vampire
-Dread Knight
-Battle Standard, Drakenholf Banner

Necromancer
-2 extra spells
-Sceptre de Noirot
-Black Periapt
-Corpse Cart, Balefire

Zombies x 20
Zombies x 20
Zombies x 20
Zombies x 20

Corpse cart, Balefire

Cairn Wraiths x 5
-Tomb Banshee

Blood Knight x 5
-Musician
-Standard Bearer, Flag of Blood Keep.

Total points - 1995

Basic idea is to add the vampire dread knight to the blood knights so that they get the ward save and the regeneration from the two standards. The zombies are supported by the corpse carts and the flying vampire lord scoots around the table flanking units tar pitted by the zombies.

I haven't played a game, ever, so be gentle with me. Is this super cheesey or not really? All opinions welcome.

Penitent Engine
08-06-2009, 04:44
Well, certainly scary to look at!
You may be accused of :cheese:, but I think this should be ballanced out by the fact that if your BKs die, or a fed units to keep running around the field, the army loses most of its CC potency. You are a bit lacking in the magic dept., but your numbers and CC ability make up for that.
On the flying general thing, remember that your army can only march when within 12" of the general/6" of a Vamp. with this idea your zombies won't be tarpitting ANYTHING, slowly lugging across the board at a leisurely 4" a turn with the occasional Vanhel's boost. This would leave your Blood Knights alone and unsupported, along with maybe the Wraiths. They're great fighters, and really tough with that banner, but if flanked by a fully ranked unit they'll still have trouble lasting until your zombies arrive. If I were you I'd drop the wings on your general and swap them for the Master of the Black Arts, or maybe Forbidden Lore and the Talisman of the Lycni so that he can hide behind the Blood Knights as they advance up the field, speeding them up with Vanhels or stay with your zombies so that they can keep pace.
My ramble :)

obsequiousmelon
08-06-2009, 05:14
Well, certainly scary to look at!
You may be accused of :cheese:, but I think this should be ballanced out by the fact that if your BKs die, or a fed units to keep running around the field, the army loses most of its CC potency. You are a bit lacking in the magic dept., but your numbers and CC ability make up for that.
On the flying general thing, remember that your army can only march when within 12" of the general/6" of a Vamp. with this idea your zombies won't be tarpitting ANYTHING, slowly lugging across the board at a leisurely 4" a turn with the occasional Vanhel's boost. This would leave your Blood Knights alone and unsupported, along with maybe the Wraiths. They're great fighters, and really tough with that banner, but if flanked by a fully ranked unit they'll still have trouble lasting until your zombies arrive. If I were you I'd drop the wings on your general and swap them for the Master of the Black Arts, or maybe Forbidden Lore and the Talisman of the Lycni so that he can hide behind the Blood Knights as they advance up the field, speeding them up with Vanhels or stay with your zombies so that they can keep pace.
My ramble :)

Thanks for the advice :)
So, maybe drop the necromancer and replace with a vampire character to hide behind the one remaining corpse cart with two Zombie units either side of him until he can pop out ad join the slaughter (whether it is my army or my opponents army that is being slaughtered.
If I keep it as is and changed the wings on the lord then does he need to join a unit and should that be zombies or something else.:confused:

wildkarrde0
08-06-2009, 06:11
it would have to be something else as characters can't join zombies!!

Penitent Engine
08-06-2009, 06:36
I think the extra vampire would be a good idea, especially with the Sceptre de Noirot. Necromancers are normally a staple of my army, but with your list they just lack the motivating power of a vampire character.
If you dropped the wings then I would strongly recommend putting your General in a unit of 20 SKELETONS. Drop two units of 20 zombies for one unit of 20 Skeletons with command and you have a much more solid infantry base for the same price. In addition, if you give your general Dark Acolyte and the bloodline that helps raise skellies, this unit could feasibly be just as renewable as the zombies with an armour save to boot. And you could put characters in it :)
And good luck!!
(P.S., if you have already bought the zombies, don't worry-just hide your character behind one of the regiments. The only thing you'll really have to worry about then will be either (A) cannonballs, which is why you have the wristbands and (B) magic missiles or spells that can individually target him. Still viable, but just safer in the skeleton unit.)
Also, what armies are you likely to be versing?

Penitent Engine
08-06-2009, 06:38
Oh-don't get rid of the second Corpse Cart!! With a reasonable amount of infantry in your army they are still versatile and helpful, even without a Necromancer for their bound spell and Balefire effects.

obsequiousmelon
08-06-2009, 07:23
Wide range of different armies at my local FLGS, but a fair few deamon armies. And I haven't bought any models yet as i like to buy once I have a definite theme and idea for my army, but I paint quickly!

Penitent Engine
08-06-2009, 07:26
In that case, I would strongly advise against the wraiths with all those magical attacks running around. Try a pair of Varghulfs (these things are very versatile), or a unit of 20 Grave Guard to further reinforce your battle line, or maybe some Black Knights as backup for your BKs.

obsequiousmelon
08-06-2009, 07:58
Can Varghulfs fly? They have wings but I can't find the rule in it's entry...

The Farmer
08-06-2009, 08:45
Nope they cannot they just move very fast.

Penitent Engine
08-06-2009, 10:30
Bit like a chicken :D

obsequiousmelon
08-06-2009, 11:58
That seems stupid, it not flying although how cool is the image of vampire chickens... just when you thought it was safe to go back in the barnyard!
It's almost as silly as a hello kitty dreadnought! :D

ex_idol
08-06-2009, 17:19
would like to see a hello kitty dreadnought :)

Penitent Engine
08-06-2009, 20:51
You ask and we will deliver:
http://www.dragonrealm.com/exlibrismortis/ExLibrisnew_HKDreadnoughtIndex.html