PDA

View Full Version : Wood elves vs black orcs

The Blades of reason
08-06-2009, 20:17
hi my friend wants to try out a new orc army and i an just starting wood elves i would like any advice you could give me on what units to use in my army and which units to crush in the orc force asap

heres the orc army

grimigor ironhide

battle standard bearer
banner that gives him +1 DD per extra rank in unit standard is in

10 boyz

10 boyz

20 black orcs full com

20 black orcs full com

20 black orcs full com

2 giants

2250pts

also any advice on how this army could be made better

all advice appreciated

sorry if this is supposed to be in army list forrum if it is please say and i will move it :)

Shiodome
08-06-2009, 20:28
take anything with a bow and you'll have no problems at all with this ridiculously slow list.

PARTYCHICORITA
08-06-2009, 20:38
I think your friend's list is illegal since he only has 2 cores and you need 3 for a 2000-2999pts game.

The previous poster is right though, such a slow list would be a walk on the park for even 750pts of WE.

sroblin
08-06-2009, 20:43
Bows are good, but for it work you also need to have fast units to march block the Black Orcs: Glade Riders, Warhawk Riders, Scouts/Waywatchers, even Dryads in a pinch. Then you can shoot them up at your leisure with your Glade Guard as they crawl 4" across the board; but be careful you don't fall within Waagh range! The Giants are faster, but also more vulnerable to archers and need to be taken out ASAP. As for Grimgor, just make absolutely sure that you don't end up in combat with him (not to hard, he is foot only), and you should be fine. Having a few nasty close combat units to gang up on units you've softened up with Archery (Wild Riders, Treemen, War Dancers) would probably be a good idea too, so you can definitely wipe out some of the blocks. Hammer and Anvil charges are of course a great tactic here.

If you're looking for ways to improve the Orc list, there are too many ways to count. But I would say reconsider the total lack of: spell casting, magic defense, fast cavalry, warmachines, and affordable infantry, the last 3 of which are strengths of the Greenskins list. Any list which is based upon large blocks of Black Orcs is not going to have good value for points as is, but even if he wants to stick with that theme he should find ways to fit in these other effective elements of the Greenskin army. Grimgor is also probably overkill, and does little to help the army overcome its weaknesses.

Partychicorita is right about the need for 3 core in 2000-2999 point games, and he certainly could find more effective uses for the points then units of 10 orcs in my opinion.

The Blades of reason
08-06-2009, 21:00
so sorry he also has a unit of 20 big'uns with full command

Elhier
10-06-2009, 19:28
any body could walk around that ork army with wood elves, take a lvl4 mage and lore of life nd use mistress of the marsh on him nd then dance around him with units of glade guard nd dryads.

or realy tick him off and take a treeman ancient with annoyance of netlings nd challenge grimgor.

the giants could be a problem because of their faster movement but a good counter is ussualy dryads or a alter noble with great weapon after a bit of shooting.

however chances are he'll throw the giants at you in a hope od distracting you so his slower orcs can march up the table, jus dnt get distracted!!