PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Army

Enlightened Bystander
29-12-2005, 16:00
I'm probably going to get a Reublican Roman army for Warhammer Ancient Battles, but most of the players in my local group only play Fantasy, so I'm going to try and proxy it as an army for Fantasy.

This is the set of miniatures that I will have:

four units of 16 warriors with armour, shields and a mixture of swords and pila (throwing spears). Each unit has full command

four more units of similarly equipped troops, but different helmets, so can represent different units

two units of 16 spearmen with shields. again, full command

four units of 16 skirmishers, with shields, throwing spears and swords. Tunics rather than armour- possibly two different models for the skirmishers, depending on what I buy

10 light cavalrymen with command

4 characters, including standard bearer. One of them is in tunic, with scrolls- will fit well as wizard, but doesn't need to.

What sort of armies do people think I could make out of this collection of models? Not all of them have to be used in the army.

I had considered Empire, and someone has suggested Mortal Chaos, and since the models are going to be 25mm I might even consider Dwarfs. Of course, they might also fit as Elves.

What do people think?

Festus
29-12-2005, 16:05
Hi

Empire (with Detatchments) or DoW.

Greetings
Festus

Jericho
30-12-2005, 00:35
Dogs of war would work I think. They obviously have the Roman thing going on (and Italian history and imagery dominates the DOW background) and have similar units.

The shield and pila guys could work as pikemen with armor, and your skirmishers could simply be duellists. They can have a wide variety of options, including 2nd hand weapon, shield, pistol, and throwing weapon.

The sword and shield guys might be a bit of a problem... you could use them as Marauders, but they become frenzied (so have to charge anybody in range, immune to psychology til they lose combat, and +1A).

Either way it shouldn't matter quite how many models you leave behind because this army is pretty massive in Fantasy terms. I might suggest bulking out some of the units to 20+ but you certainly have more units than you need to put together an army.

Empire is a strong suggestion as well, they fit the eqiupment of your troops better, even if they don't have quite the same background. Your lack of missile troops could hurt though, that's one of the Empire's biggest bonuses.

Enlightened Bystander
30-12-2005, 19:59
Okay, what do people think of the following Dogs of War:

Paymaster; Heavy Armour, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield (89)

Merc General; Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Striking, Talisman of Protection (144)

Hierling Wizard; level 2, 2 dispel scrolls (145)

Merc Captain, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Battle (81)

4 pike blocks; 24x Pikemen, Heavy Armour, Full Command (294)

2 Duellists groups; 15x Duellists, Shield, Champion (106)

2 Light Cavalry; 5x Light Cav, Spear + Shield (70)

Total: 1987

Still need to think of something for those last 13 points. A possibility is to put an extra pikeman in one unit and put the Captain with one of the Duellist units.

Main line of four pike units, 5x5, with characters in each. Duellists form a skirmish line in front, light cav cover the flanks.