PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tanks in low point games

Nicha11
09-06-2009, 04:09
How do you cope with Steam Tanks in the 750-1250 point range?
(apart from not playing against them).

fubukii
09-06-2009, 04:15
great cannons? 40 man horror units? :P lore of metal?

Lord Dan
09-06-2009, 05:12
Cheap hero with a multi-wound weapon. He auto-hits, and even if he dies...so what? He was cheap!

Here's my Bretonnian one:
Paladin
Armor, blah blah, Virtue of discipline (no autobreaking for me!), Sword of Heroes

Jind_Singh
09-06-2009, 06:16
well he wont have much of an army - just kill anything but the tank and march into a wood - more than 3 inches in. he's blasted as he cant even come close.
Meanwhile have some fast moving stuff claiming table quarters, it's a lame game to play but why would anyone take a tank in such a small game???

Condottiere
09-06-2009, 07:43
In desperation, lancers.

PeG
09-06-2009, 11:44
As in a larger game. Warmachines such as cannons, boltthrowers, casters with lore of metal and other relevant spells. Actually it is easier to deal with in small games that in large due to lack of support units provided that you bring the correct tools. Problem is that steam tanks and large monsters in small games forces eveybody else to bring lots of guns which usually is a bad idea for small fun games.

Gaargod
09-06-2009, 12:50
Single caster with lore of metal will pretty much make it irrelevant - commandment of brass, don't do anything please.

Its like people taking 2 EotG in a 1k game. Just... don't.

Frogczar
09-06-2009, 17:51
O&G get 35 point spear chukkas that can do d3 wounds to a large target like the Steam Tank.

Bolt throwers.

-Frog

Queekvondrak
16-06-2009, 18:01
i think steam tanks are wastes in any size game thiers way to many ways to deal with em imo ive gone against lists with tanks a lot of times and after u do like 3 or 4 wounds to it it becomes a giant $57 paper wieght

Dragon Prince of Caledor
16-06-2009, 18:17
Cannons, bolt throwers, magic, meat shields, and a base ball bat for whoever is using the thing.

Griffery
16-06-2009, 18:29
There is virtually nothing that can stop them in low point games, but you could use stone throwers or masses of knights hoping to get the occasional wound, but yes Steam Tanks are way too difficult to fight in low point games.

sulla
16-06-2009, 19:20
Single caster with lore of metal will pretty much make it irrelevant - commandment of brass, don't do anything please.

.Commandment doesn't do anything to it. only spells with strength X hits work against it.

Mercules
16-06-2009, 20:10
There is virtually nothing that can stop them in low point games, but you could use stone throwers or masses of knights hoping to get the occasional wound, but yes Steam Tanks are way too difficult to fight in low point games.

Seigebreaker for Ogres - Auto Hit 1d6 S7-8 Wounds.

Tree Singing for Wood Elves - Pin it in place with woods and finish off the rest of the army.

That is how my low point armies deal with them.

Condottiere
16-06-2009, 23:39
The other option being to lure them into a space that would have terrain between your main force and the tank.

Caboose123
17-06-2009, 01:53
Nicha, do you have any particular army in mind here, or do you mean just in general?
Ask a vague question get a vague response...

Personally I like the whole "Ignore them" option. The 1st spell on Lore of Metal would pretty much always do 1 wound, and STanks are pretty average after losing a wound or two.

Zoolander
17-06-2009, 21:21
If you have access to war machines or something that can handle a steam tank (Ex: a giant) then it shouldnt be too hard. If you don't have anything like that, don't try to kill it. You will waste a lot of resources and time doing 8wounds to it, only to get zero credit for it. Lure it into the woods or away from the rest of your army or tie it up with zombies or something and forget about it. It's the best you can do.

TacticalFirepower
17-06-2009, 22:06
There's no real way to do it provided the Empire player has buil his force right. Having a warmachine or two doesn't mean much if he brung a cannons or two as well.

A giant will rarely get to charge the tank given the Empire will have the firepower to make you come to them and it has a longer maximum charge range than the giant anyway.

Just flee whenever it charges you and hope for the best. There's nothing in the game at 750-1250pts that can take a fully powered charge form the steam tank and live to tell the tale when we consider infantry/knights. Monsters might do it, but there's the cannons to watch out for then and in the long run even a treemen won't defeat a tank if the tank charges.

vinny t
18-06-2009, 15:16
-Bolt Throwers
-Cannons
-Heros with multi-wound weapons
-Zombies!!!!!!!:D:D:D
-Lore of Metal
-Treesing a wood in front of it

That's pretty much all I got. Oh, and

-smack the opposing player

Alcibiades
13-07-2009, 06:42
In desperation, lancers.

::applause::

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
13-07-2009, 10:00
I take it out with chukka's an doomdivers( and lucky short bow shots)

greetz

Spirit
13-07-2009, 14:13
O&G get 35 point spear chukkas that can do d3 wounds to a large target like the Steam Tank.

Bolt throwers.

-Frog

I know its probably just the way youve typed it, but just incase your confused, spear chukkas do D3 wounds to everything, not just large targets. Anything with more than one wound can be effected.

grumbaki
13-07-2009, 14:58
Perhaps if you are a wood elf player you can tree sing it into obscurity? At the very least it'd be a humerous way to make the thing pointless. And besides, if he is taking a steam tank in a small game (say 1000 points) he probably won't have that much magic protection. Then pick off the rest of his army and call it a day.

Spirit
13-07-2009, 16:27
Perhaps if you are a wood elf player you can tree sing it into obscurity? At the very least it'd be a humerous way to make the thing pointless. And besides, if he is taking a steam tank in a small game (say 1000 points) he probably won't have that much magic protection. Then pick off the rest of his army and call it a day.

The tank moves like a chariot, so does not need to pivot or wheel. In a low points game (or in all honesty, even in a big points game) it will be very hard to pin the tank in. You would need at least 3 woods all converging on it.

matticusmaximus
13-07-2009, 21:17
Deal with it the same way Skaven deal with everything, throw slaves at it until it goes away or you run out of slaves...

g0ddy
13-07-2009, 21:31
If someone was serious about using a steam tank in a 1000 point game.. I would probably just laugh and walk away. For those of us who dont have heavy artillery - theyre bloody hard enought o deal with in 2000 pt games...

~ zilla

theunwantedbeing
13-07-2009, 21:32
Ignore it, go for the squishier things around it.

Havock
13-07-2009, 22:45
Which is easier said than done, seeing as the Steam tank will be the centre point of the army, and you'll likely have to pass it first.

Anything with cannons of its own can take take. Boltthrowers are 'meh' , multi wound weapons still have to pass through the 1+ armoursave...
One of the most funnt things would be wounding it succesfully with a WoC Glaive of Putrefaction.

Caine Mangakahia
13-07-2009, 22:57
Remember, in reality the steamtank only has 5 wounds, after that its a pile of metal that can't move. Even 2-3 wounds almost cripples it.

Kalandros
13-07-2009, 23:27
Lil' Waaagh has "Pass Initiative Test or Get D6 S10"
Works like a charm on the Stank, plus goblin shammies are cheap, you can easily load up on 3 Night Gob shaman with mushrooms, itty ring and what not to just magic away your opponent and possibly blow up in the process.

Plus spearchukkas to put a dent on it and slow it down, just cause 3~6 wounds with chukkas and you can finish it off later, while it does nothing at all for the rest of the game or risks blowing up itself.

Lord Dan
13-07-2009, 23:54
Deal with it the same way Skaven deal with everything, throw slaves at it until it goes away or you run out of slaves...

Might I recommend Jezzails?

TacticalFirepower
14-07-2009, 01:06
Remember, in reality the steamtank only has 5 wounds, after that its a pile of metal that can't move. Even 2-3 wounds almost cripples it.

Keep in mind that as it's a warmachine, you only get its victory points if you remove all 10 wounds from it. While after it's taken 5 wounds it won't be doing that much, it's still pretty effective at denying you the points.

Which is easier said than done, seeing as the Steam tank will be the centre point of the army, and you'll likely have to pass it first.

Most of those saying "ignore it" have clearly never played against one at a low points level. It can safely move 12 inches a turn while getting free pivots, and so if you're advancing towards the Empire army (which you probably will be, given Empire's shooting) it will be on you by turn 2.

I still say whenever it charges, just flee the charge, and hope you rally at some point. Really though, saying "ignore it" is like saying "ignore the enemy unit of knights- even when they're on your flank and hitting your best units!"

And besides, if he is taking a steam tank in a small game (say 1000 points) he probably won't have that much magic protection. Then pick off the rest of his army and call it a day.

1000 points? You can easily get loads of magic protection and the tank in. Such as:

Battle Wizard- 130pts
Lv2, Rod of Power

Battle Wizard- 150pts
Lv2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Battle Wizard- 150pts
Lv2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

10 Handgunners- 80pts

10 Handgunners- 80pts

Cannon- 100pts

Steam Tank- 300pts

That's 990pts, and has 4 scrolls plus the Steam Tank. Plus can get more dispel dice from the rod of power if need be (though this is mostly used to add more power dice).

Lord Dan
14-07-2009, 01:19
Battle Wizard- 130pts
Lv2, Rod of Power

Battle Wizard- 150pts
Lv2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Battle Wizard- 150pts
Lv2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

10 Handgunners- 80pts

10 Handgunners- 80pts

Cannon- 100pts

Steam Tank- 300pts

That's 990pts, and has 4 scrolls plus the Steam Tank. Plus can get more dispel dice from the rod of power if need be (though this is mostly used to add more power dice).

I dunno, it just seems to be lacking something. Is there any way you can add some more punch to it?

Havock
14-07-2009, 01:45
Drop two scrolls: 2 are suficient in 1k points.

stonetroll
14-07-2009, 01:46
1000 points? You can easily get loads of magic protection and the tank in. Such as:

Battle Wizard- 130pts
Lv2, Rod of Power

Battle Wizard- 150pts
Lv2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Battle Wizard- 150pts
Lv2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

10 Handgunners- 80pts

10 Handgunners- 80pts

Cannon- 100pts

Steam Tank- 300pts

Anyone bringing that army to a "friendly" game deserves a baseball bat to the face. Anyone bringing that to a tournament has gone to a tournament with pretty damn broken restrictions (if any), in which case you can always opt to counter the cheese with cheddar.

I won't put up specific lists because of the fear of people actually fielding them, but it's not hard to imagine DoC/DE/VC armies that will break that stank army and then some.

Lord Dan
14-07-2009, 01:58
Anyone bringing that army to a "friendly" game deserves a baseball bat to the face.

You just need to trust me on this one: I wouldn't bother.

ARVO
14-07-2009, 02:10
Lances and great weapons

TacticalFirepower
14-07-2009, 02:16
Drop two scrolls: 2 are suficient in 1k points.

True, but the guy I was countering said you couldn't get a lot of magic defence in a 1k list with a steam tank. Of course, 2 scrolls would be sufficient if we wanted to make use of every last point.

I dunno, it just seems to be lacking something. Is there any way you can add some more punch to it?

From experience at this point level I find the stank normally has enough punch to deal with enemy combat units. However it would be possible to drop 2 scrolls (50pts) and change one of the units of handgunners into a knight unit. Hell, if you dropped 3 scrolls (probably a bit risky, but then again we do have 5 dispel dice, with the option to convert more via the rod of power) you could convert both handgunner units into knight units to aid the steam tank. That way the knights can do the persuit after the steam tank breaks the enemy, and knights could probably protect the wizards and the cannon a it better than handgunners anyway.

Lord Dan
14-07-2009, 02:28
From experience at this point level I find the stank normally has enough punch to deal with enemy combat units. However it would be possible to drop 2 scrolls (50pts) and change one of the units of handgunners into a knight unit. Hell, if you dropped 3 scrolls (probably a bit risky, but then again we do have 5 dispel dice, with the option to convert more via the rod of power) you could convert both handgunner units into knight units to aid the steam tank. That way the knights can do the persuit after the steam tank breaks the enemy, and knights could probably protect the wizards and the cannon a it better than handgunners anyway.

I don't even think knights are the punch I'm looking for. I mean, don't get me wrong, your list is fine. However here's what I usually run at 1,000 points.

Captain------------------------------58
captain------------------------------50
captain------------------------------50

10 halberdiers-----------------------60
11 halberdiers-----------------------66
12 halberdiers-----------------------72
13 halberdiers-----------------------78
14 halberdiers-----------------------82
15 halberdiers-----------------------88
16 halberdiers-----------------------94
17 halberdiers-----------------------100

mortar------------------------------75
mortar------------------------------75
5 greatswords-----------------------50

Total: 998

So what would you do against a list like this? Granted it's light on magic defense, but I think its speed makes up for that. Thoughts? The only way I see you winning is if you kept your steam tank in a corner to avoid all of those tank-killing S4 attacks.

stonetroll
14-07-2009, 02:31
So what would you do against a list like this? Granted it's light on magic defense, but I think its speed makes up for that. Thoughts? The only way I see you winning is if you kept your steam tank in a corner to avoid all of those tank-killing S4 attacks.

Drive my steamtank into one of your units and be amused as you take 7-8 Terror tests and see those S4 attacks bounce off my 1+ save ;).

What exactly do you mean with "speed" making up for light magical defence? I don't see anything able to move>4" in there?

I don't mean to offend you here, and I think your list has a lot of potential, but against that army I would just take my stank and leave the rest of my army at home and still come out on top I think.

Havock
14-07-2009, 02:52
I think Lord Dan's post sort of missed it's point on you :p

TacticalFirepower
14-07-2009, 04:52
I don't mean to offend you here, and I think your list has a lot of potential, but against that army I would just take my stank and leave the rest of my army at home and still come out on top I think.

I'd bet a fair amount of steam tanks the post was a joke. ;)

Lord Dan
14-07-2009, 04:53
How many would you bet?

Condottiere
14-07-2009, 20:36
I think we need to invent the Molotov Cocktail. Or Dragonteeth.

The cheapest solution is a cannon with clear LoS. And consecrated die.

Dirty Diszle
14-07-2009, 20:54
Dwarves. Lots of cannons. Steamtank dies, rest of the empire are killed by naked slayers, job done!

danny7865
14-07-2009, 20:59
what is a stank's toughness?
As my helf bolt throwers would be hitting on 2+ and i can take 3 at 1k there is a gd chance i would get 5/6 wounds on it in 2 turns and its same amount of points......

Lord Dan
14-07-2009, 22:12
It's T6 with a 1+ armor save. Honestly you don't need to kill it, just get 3-4 wounds on it to diminish its ability to do anything.

fubukii
15-07-2009, 01:53
I killed a steam tank today with a dark elf master with soul render in a unit of black guard, worked fairly well :)

w3rm
15-07-2009, 02:14
The daemon spell that makes it stupid.

TacticalFirepower
15-07-2009, 04:21
The daemon spell that makes it stupid.

The steam tank is immune to all magic without a strength value.

kor anon
15-07-2009, 12:21
brass orb :)

grhino
15-07-2009, 14:02
As a Dwarf, HE, DE, Empire, Chaos (if you take a Hellcannon), O&G etc. I would not bother about that first list. Damage the tank in T1 if possible and just ignore it for the rest of the game. At full SP it is very dangerous, yes. But when reduced to making 3 SP or less a turn, it is much less of a threat!

Briohmar
15-07-2009, 14:39
I have faced a tank at 1000 points with both Warriors and Daemons, and I can tell you, the best way to deal with it is to feed it something cheap (hounds or furies) and hope that you can avoid it for most of the game. The only damage I was able to do in either game was when the thing miscast against the Warriors, and a Herald of Slaanesh with Etherblade wounded it twice. Magic was no good, as the tournaments in question both limited spell casters, which meant he had as many dispel dice as I had casting dice.

Basically a Tank at 1K is not nice.

danny-d-b
15-07-2009, 14:57
my chaos army at 1000 points can deal with it easy, just means I have no knights and my giant/dragon ogers have to get the charge, but considering the rest of my army would easly deal with the empire shooting

as for 1000 empire armys with stanks how about

warrior prest on barded warhorse with sword of might, and speculam, shield, heavy armour 160

Battle wizzard with dispel scroll and ring of volnus

2x 5 knightly orders 230

2x cannon 200

steam tank 300

Dirty Diszle
15-07-2009, 21:03
as for 1000 empire armys with stanks how about

warrior prest on barded warhorse with sword of might, and speculam, shield, heavy armour 160

Battle wizzard with dispel scroll and ring of volnus

2x 5 knightly orders 230

2x cannon 200

steam tank 300

Pretty pownage, I like it!!

Havock
16-07-2009, 00:17
How many would you bet?

I'm not sure, I don't want to lose out too much, the thing is very subtle, after all...

What you really want is a 2k something list with a griffon/Waltar, Asarnil and two Steam tanks.
Anything less is unacceptable :mad:

craskie666
29-07-2009, 17:44
10 jezzails and 1 warp lighting cannon

ZeroTwentythree
29-07-2009, 18:31
just get 3-4 wounds on it to diminish its ability to do anything.

Except, as has already been pointed out, you get no VP for it and it still claims table quarters and causes terror.

As far as low point games, I don't remember the exact points, but at 750 it went something like this...

1 Steam Tank
2 Warrior Priests on barded horses
2 Units of knights

So other than the priests, who were in units of knights, everything had a 1+ save. 4 Dispel dice.

:angel:

Caine Mangakahia
30-07-2009, 01:38
Empire got so badly done over in this addition (especially compared to most of the lasest army books) I have no real objection to the steam tank. Chaos Demons and VC have STR 7 heros , many armies can field war machines or magic that can hurt it.