PDA

View Full Version : 2250 point HE list with options for 3000 points. Mage question!

RiTides Nids
09-06-2009, 16:55
Archmage, Lvl 4, Ring of Fury, Silver Wand, Dispel Scroll, Elven Steed
Mage, Lvl 2, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll
Noble, Dragon Prince layout, BSB, Battle Banner

10 Archers
20 Spearmen, Std Bearer, Lion Standard

20 Phoenix Guard, Std Bearer, Banner of Sorcery
7 Swordmasters
7 Swordmasters
5 Dragon Princes
5 Dragon Princes

2 Great Eagles
2 RBTs

To up the list to 3000 points, drop the Noble and add:
Prince, Halberd, Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Amulet of Light, Star Dragon
Mage, Lvl 2
10 Archers
1 RBT

The only bummer is the third mage is naked :(. Any idea what to do with him? I could drop the amulet of light, or 1 swordmaster, or 1 phoenix guard, and get him jewel of the dusk. I thought I needed him for more offensive magic at the higher point level. Any thoughts?

TheKingInYellow
09-06-2009, 20:03
Classic HE mage layout is Silver Wand and Ring of Fury. If you want more defense, go level one with 2 x Dispels and the Silver Wand.

RiTides Nids
10-06-2009, 04:15
Hi,

Thanks for the input! I do have those items in the list, but I can't decide what to put on the third mage. I'm thinking of dropping two Swordmasters to give him Ring of Corin and Gem of Courage.

What do you guys think?

Gethostar
10-06-2009, 11:59
Drop the silver wand on the archmage... He has 4 spells already...

Get the silver wand the to the third mage so he has 3 spells... More chance at some decent spells ;)

Dragon Prince of Caledor
10-06-2009, 18:31
Drop the silver wand on the archmage... He has 4 spells already...

Get the silver wand the to the third mage so he has 3 spells... More chance at some decent spells ;)

The idea with a silver wand and 4 spells to begin with is to get almost all the spells so that one can actually get the spells he/she wants and have someone who actually has the dice to cast them :p:angel:
Peace

RiTides Nids
11-06-2009, 16:25
That was my thinking, but I'm open to anything as far as the mages go!

I'm definitely leaning toward dropping the two swordmasters for 30 points to play with to eqiup the mage... does that sound good to you guys?

Desert Rain
11-06-2009, 17:29
I would stick the two SM units togeather into a single unit with 14 models. The small 7 ones are to fragile and die very easily from shooting. You lose some flexibility though.

Nuada
11-06-2009, 17:36
wow! that's almost identical to my 3,000 point HE list.

As an option you could drop a few phoenix guard. If you put 2 characters in that unit, it will be 20 anyway.

Also, are you going 7 wide with your spearmen?

I just noticed you only have standard bearers. Aren't musicians or champions worth it in spearmen/PG ?

WhiteKnight
12-06-2009, 01:16
The only reason I see to use 7 strong elite infantry is to support spearmen. They would basically multi-charge or even get a flank and front.

RiTides Nids
12-06-2009, 05:21
Yes, I'd had the swordmasters at 7 to support the two main infantry blocks and hopefully to hide behind other units to avoid being shot to death. I'll have to see how this goes! I haven't tried it but I originally had them at 14, and saw a lot of other people listing theirs as two units of 7.

Someone else suggested adding in at least the musicians to the spearmen/PG, and maybe using the points from the archmage's mount. The only problem with that is that the model I have is mounted :)

I'm glad to hear it's similar to someone else's list, hopefully that means it's on the right track!!

Nuada
12-06-2009, 08:27
I'm glad to hear it's similar to someone else's list, hopefully that means it's on the right track!!

Well, it might be good news, it might not be. It's me who has a similar list, but i haven't actually used High Elves yet :p

RiTides Nids
12-06-2009, 13:16
Lol, I see :)

So any comments on the mages? If I drop the SM down to 6 apiece, they'd look like this:

Archmage, Lvl 4, Ring of Fury, Silver Wand, Dispel Scroll, Elven Steed
Mage, Lvl 2, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll
Mage, Lvl 2, Ring of Corin, Gem of Courage