PDA

View Full Version : black guard how do you run them?

fubukii
09-06-2009, 20:33
Ok lately i have been toying around with my black guard with different ways of deploying the unit. SO i am wondering how you, run your units of black guard. My opinions are the following:

Basically theres a few ways to run them.
ranks of 7 (3 deep) this will let your unit get a extra 2 str 4 hatred asf attacks a turn or armor piercing. Downsides are you have a tougher time wheeling due to the wider frontage so its really a double edged sword. i think this is best vs armies where STacking cr is extremely important such as vc.

ranks of 6 (3 deep possibly 4 deep if you have 4 characters) you get a good amount of attacks and can still wheel decently. Best of both worlds.

ranks of 5. Gain maxium rank bonus but lose out on attacks. +1 cr for a lose of 2-4 str 4 attacks. Better at maneuvering and better vs highly armored targets that the str 4 attacks wont work on.

W0lf
09-06-2009, 21:02
7 wide with FC + Haeg grief
crimson death or ring on champ
Add dreadlord with Great weapon + w/e else.

Enjoy.

fubukii
09-06-2009, 21:06
ive been doing the 7 wide route pretty much the same as you said only with a bsb in the unit as well.

i was just trying to see if everyone runs 7 wide like me? or if others do 6 or 5 wide
so 20 bg full cmd ring of hotek, dreadlord and bsb. asf banner 7 wide.

sulla
09-06-2009, 21:10
About 12-13 with a character and the ASF banner. They will be killed in most battles but not before holding up your opponent to allow the crucial flank charge by your strike units. 6 wide is enough in my opinion.

fubukii
09-06-2009, 21:11
i dont see the point to running such a small fragile unit? they are so cheap why not max them out?

Time of Madness
09-06-2009, 21:15
Run 17 with a character (making the unit 6X3). Always include the ASF banner and the ring of hotek.
Time of Madness

Witchblade
09-06-2009, 21:17
7 wide for me, the additional ASF attacks are ace. Maybe it's 'cos I'm a WoC player, but I always like to maximize frontage on killy units.

Aurellis
09-06-2009, 21:17
I run my Black Guard as 3X6 + 2 at the back to make up for shooting losses.

As most people have said, I also take the Banner of Hag Graef, Crimson Death/Ring of Hotek and a Dreadlord in the unit.

It's a pretty straightforward unit that most people take almost identical loadouts with.

sulla
09-06-2009, 22:44
i dont see the point to running such a small fragile unit? they are so cheap why not max them out?

I like having lots of units on the table. Plus, anything that can beat 13 BG can usually beat 20, so I'd rather have an extra chariot or 2 units of harpies or something similar than extra ranks of infantry.

xragg
09-06-2009, 23:27
I like having lots of units on the table. Plus, anything that can beat 13 BG can usually beat 20, so I'd rather have an extra chariot or 2 units of harpies or something similar than extra ranks of infantry.

I can easily lose 6-7 to missile fire before they see combat. Having only 13 leaves you with just the front line at best in that situation, and half points to your opponent already. Only 1 game have I ever surrendered full points for my BG unit of 20 strong, but I could never say that if it were oly 13 strong. Your not necessarily buying combat res, but point denial.

VeriNasti
10-06-2009, 00:50
20 with BSB with ASF banner. FC and ring of hotek or crimson death

Draconian77
10-06-2009, 02:02
I'm currently running 10 to 12 with 2 characters(Master+Master or Master+Assassin), 6 to 7 wide.

Normally they have the Banner of Hag Graef and the Tower Master has the Whip of Agony.

I have been considering running a list with 2 units of 11, character in each, both 6 wide though. I guess the other unit would have the Banner of Murder and the Champion would take the Crimson Death.

Small units work fine for me, between screens, Flyers/Fast cavalry, Chillwind, the Ring and conventional dispelling methods they normally reach the enemy at full capacity.

PARTYCHICORITA
10-06-2009, 02:13
I run them in 6x3 with a magical banner, a magic weapon on the champion and a character that may be a dreadlord or a hero.

7 is to big of a frontage for my liking and 5 is to small considereng they really shine when they get to attack and rank bonuses dissappear so fast on T3 heavy armor wearing infantry.

Max_Killfactor
10-06-2009, 03:50
I run two units of them, so nasty.

1)17 in 6x3 with my BsB w/ gw, +1 armor save, and ring. ASF banner
2)The other is 16 but also in 6x3, my dreadlord on dark steed w/ potion of strength, hydra blade, inverse ward. Armor Piercing Banner

Both units can dish out the pain and my Lord can charge out on his own if he feels inclined to.

PARTYCHICORITA
10-06-2009, 03:57
I run two units of them, so nasty.

1)17 in 6x3 with my BsB w/ gw, +1 armor save, and ring. ASF banner
2)The other is 16 but also in 6x3, my dreadlord on dark steed w/ potion of strength, hydra blade, inverse ward. Armor Piercing Banner

Both units can dish out the pain and my Lord can charge out on his own if he feels inclined to.

I have a BG themed list with 2 very similar units. The only difference beeing the dreadlord has Dagger of Hotek and is on foot.

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-06-2009, 04:18
I don't play DE but I play against them alot. So hopefully I break them and run them down:D

Ok that didn't help this thread so...

My friend usually runs them 6 wide with the ASF banner and sometimes has the unbreakable champ with command and a assassin with D3 attack.
He switches it up every now and then but thats the typical way he runs his. It's usually flanked by a nasty COK unit with a BSB and harpies screened in front of the
BG. Sometimes he deploys a hydra nearby on the other flank opposite the COK but not necessarily right next to the BG. It's pretty tough to deal with.

Dark14
10-06-2009, 04:32
20asf ring Crone done deal vs anything.

FunkyRatDemon
10-06-2009, 04:47
I run them 6-wide, 3 ranks
With Full Command, Banner of Hag Grief (ASF), and Crimson Death (S6) on Champion
Then I run a 'screen of SpearElves' in front to avoid getting shot

sulla
10-06-2009, 05:36
I can easily lose 6-7 to missile fire before they see combat. Having only 13 leaves you with just the front line at best in that situation, and half points to your opponent already. Only 1 game have I ever surrendered full points for my BG unit of 20 strong, but I could never say that if it were oly 13 strong. Your not necessarily buying combat res, but point denial.

Use your shooting to recuce the effect of enemy missile troops, and screen your fragile hard hitters with harpies or crossbowmen. You will rarely lose any to missile fire.

Lord Dan
10-06-2009, 07:36
I usually run them into the ground with massed gunfire.

fluffstalker
10-06-2009, 09:44
If a shadestar or dragon doesnt slaughter your ranged untis first... sigh.