PDA

View Full Version : Brets Battle Pilgrims are they worth it?

Krom The Eternal
10-06-2009, 04:49
How are these models i havent bought the army book yet im getting it on friday but how are they in combat are they worth their points with the grail relic and 20x strong? or would i be better off with more knights or men at arms?

Dark14
10-06-2009, 05:14
more knights

Big Ned
10-06-2009, 07:07
Battle pilgrims are a very good tar pit unit. I use a unit of 12 pilgrims + the reliquae and they can cause a lot of grief for my opponent, especially if I can manuveure for a flank charge.

General Squeek Squeek
10-06-2009, 07:21
as long as you have a balanced list the battle pilgrims are worth their weight in gold. If its the only infantry you have on the board you'll have problems with the knights outrunning them, but they still have their uses even then. They're best use is to tarpit something that you can later smack with a knights unit later (you know after the cav unit turned around after killing a different unit)

Lord Dan
10-06-2009, 07:31
A good tarpit is unbreakable, can take more than 20 models, and are relatively cheap for what you're getting. Pilgrims are none of these things.

bobtasco
10-06-2009, 12:40
Yea, I agree with Lord Dan. Bloodgorgers, Flaggies, those are tarpits. Battle Pilgrims make better track stars than tarpits. They are not immune to psychology in a game that is full of terror and fear causers nowadays. They are also easy to shoot up since they are lightly armored and will panic due to no itp. This makes their stubborn rule utterly worthless most of the times.

badgeraddict
10-06-2009, 17:27
Battle pilgrims are a very good tar pit unit. I use a unit of 12 pilgrims + the reliquae and they can cause a lot of grief for my opponent, especially if I can manuveure for a flank charge.

QFT

Mine are the bane of my opponents, because they refuse to die, allowing for flank charges via knights.

Sure they don't really kill anything, but they do not need to.

Its a really characterful unit. Get it! Go!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
10-06-2009, 18:12
The grail relique is a sick model and a phenominal speed bump IMO. I think its tremendously fluffy too.

Krom The Eternal
10-06-2009, 18:22
thanks guys i think i might try to run a unit of 12 with the grail relic what if i put a damsel on foot in the unit they would benefit from that wouldnt they?

Morthoron
10-06-2009, 18:27
They are great. They're peasants so they're never going to be the best at anything, but you'd be surprised how many people think that because they're peasants they'll just be able to destroy them in a turn or two. And they are the Brets only speed bump. Well worth taking!

Shamfrit
10-06-2009, 18:33
Weak against magic? Drop a Damsel in there...done.

Easy to wound due to Toughness 3? Give the Ruby Chalice to the Damsel...

Need LD? Foot Lord for combat boost too.

So....Hatred, MR1, Stubborn, LD9, BSB re-rolls, 3+ to wound, even for a Bloodthirster, 4+ armour, 5/6+ ward.

Very mean indeed :D

Lord Dan
10-06-2009, 18:37
I'm sure you know this (evidenced by the fact that you mentioned them separately) but for the kids at home they're either stubborn 8 or regular ld 9, not a combo stubborn 9. Also, if you're really using them as a tarpit (which they're apparently good for) I don't advise throwing in 250 points in heroes just to make them good at that.

And they still autobreak, which is a major problem for a tarpit.

Shamfrit
10-06-2009, 18:46
It was a foot slogging Brettonian army so it was all good!

Yeah, they auto-break, but, there's not much in the Bret army that won't - but what will outnumber a unit with US 25?

Lord Dan
10-06-2009, 19:00
A lot, once they're inevitably cut down to US15

bobtasco
10-06-2009, 20:17
This unit is a special choice. It competes with fast cav, and peg knights. I would much rather take the unit of yeoman and a block of peasants than battle pilgrims, beautiful models or no.

Nurgling Chieftain
10-06-2009, 20:57
The peasants are a decent tarpit unit in an army that otherwise lacks tarpits. Remember in particular that they get the blessing! That bonus ward save is fantastic for them. It's generally a good idea to try and keep the BSB in range of this unit, as stubborn 8 is only so-so without the re-roll.

kardar233
11-06-2009, 00:08
Well, a reasonably-sized unit of Black Knights could pull it off easily. Equipped with the commonly-taken Banner of Double Unit Strength, 6 Black Knights have a US of 24. They will easily cut down three or four Relinquae, winning combat due to most likely having a flank/rear charge due to M8 and ignoring terrain, and then autobreaking the unit with their greater US.

HellRaid
11-06-2009, 01:39
I used to run a Pilgrim unit of 15 men with a paladin on foot armed with a great weapon (questing vow). Nearby I'd have a Damsel with Bear's Anger to cast on him.

Pilgrims plus angry paladin = nasty unit.

Plus I loved the fact they had a ward save. Thought it was hilarious.

McBaine
11-06-2009, 08:31
3+ to wound, even for a Bloodthirster
The Bloodthirster was not a good example, because the ruby goblet takes its effect only against non-magical attacks. So the Bloodthirster still wounds on a 2+ (for all demon attacks are magic attacks), but the Pilgrims will therefore have the 5+ Blessing ward save...

But still, Pilgrims are a great unit to take.

Jedi152
11-06-2009, 08:33
People will say no, but it's a lovely model that looks great and fits the background perfectly.

Therefore to me, they are worth it.