PDA

View Full Version : Yet another campaign thread

Gabacho Mk.II
10-06-2009, 09:29
Well then, another mini-campaign is set to begin in two weeks.

I was asked if I would be interested in playing, and I think I am.:p

This latest campaign will be run using a Settlers of Catan map, with various campaign rules, with each battle again being a scenario-based clash. This is all I know as of now. [the number of players, meeting place, amount of points for each battle, etc, I have no clue yet]

2 questions:

Q1) Should I run my HE's again, or should I run my Lizards, Daemons or Ogres???

Q2) Is there much interest out there in reading yet another series of campaign battles?

Thoughts?

SevenSins
10-06-2009, 11:10
Your previous threads have been excellent, so please do another :)
1) I vote for ogres
2) yes indeedely

Lord Malorne
10-06-2009, 11:21
Ogres, all the way.

selone
10-06-2009, 11:53
Play whichever you want to :p I'd like to see another campaign thread but please this time don't have one turn per post :P

Gabacho Mk.II
11-06-2009, 09:28
First off, I am leaning toward fielding (FINALLY!) my Ogre army! ;)

A few hours ago I got an email from the GM of the campaign with a few bits of info:

- So far, there are 8 players in total, including myself
- 2 Daemon players, 2 Dark Elf players, 1 WoC player, 1 All-Goblin army player, 1 Vampire Counts player (one of the DE players is not sure that he can make the campaign) :rolleyes:
- 4 of the gamers are new to WFB, so the games might be 1,500pts each side
- GM wants to run a narrative campaign, but is not sure yet
- Proxies for various models/units will be allowed, as will UN-painted armies (which I have no problem with)
- Terrain for every battle will be setup by the GM, and players will then roll randomly to see which scenario they will game out

[will update later]

There you have it.

While this campaign is still in its infancy, I would like to be a part of it, mostly to see the other armies and see how they are led.

Again, thoughts?? :eyebrows:

isidril93
11-06-2009, 09:35
nice...if it is narrative i wanna story :)

Gabacho Mk.II
11-06-2009, 09:37
nice...if it is narrative i wanna story :)

LOL :p

If I have the time, sure, I will be more than happy to type it up for you! But I am not sure as to how this 'narrative campaign' might be run, as I have NEVER played in such a style.

Dragune
11-06-2009, 09:53
Settler's of Catan is an awesome game, one of my friends showed it to me a few months ago and we had some other friends over and had a pretty good time.

Good luck with your ogres. I'm not too sure how they play so it'll be interesting to follow them.;)

OldMan
11-06-2009, 17:25
Looking forward for new campaign. Eat them !

BTW. Settlers of Catan is boring as hell. There is no competing in this game. Just friendly Empire building were luck and maximising odds wins. :)

Gabacho Mk.II
17-06-2009, 16:27
Here is an update:

> The battles will be 1,750pts a side [this was at the behest of the GM, who felt that it is a proper point limit for all of the players]
> The campaign will be a narrative one, but still am not sure as to how this is gonna be run
> At last count there were 8 players, with each player running any models they wish, painted or un-painted
> GM sets up each of the tables with terrain, and the players are then 'assigned' a table to play on

So far, so good. I guess.:p

Oh yeah, am finishing my giant for use with my Ogre army! :evilgrin:

SevenSins
17-06-2009, 22:47
I wouldn't recommend slavegiants for competitive play, but in a friendly narrative campaign? sure

Gabacho Mk.II
19-06-2009, 05:11
Another update:

I am being asked by the GM to run High Elves, as there arent any 'good guy' armies in the campaign.

Ogres was (and somewhat still is) my first choice. However, about half of the players in the campaign have yet to game against HEs, so maybe I should run High Elves and show them how tough this army is?

I havent responded yet to the GM.

Campaign is set to begin next Thursday night.

Golden Lion
19-06-2009, 09:43
1) This sounds really cool Gabacho, looking forward to it! Narrative campaigns stir the imagination.

2) 1750 pts. sounds like a very interesting points limit, a 2000pts army but without the lord.

3) I personally prefer High Elves over Ogres, especially with your record of bringing lots of infantry!

4) Well have fun playing this! Would love to read the progress, and yes, the narrative as well.

Gabacho Mk.II
23-06-2009, 06:46
Another update:

It seems that I was 'volunteered' to run High Elves. Long story, dont ask.

The narrative will begin on Thursday night, with each player being handed a background packet which will contain valuable info concerning our peoples. Looking forward to it already.

High Elves it is. :skull:

Briohmar
23-06-2009, 10:42
Well, I'll be following this with interest as well, as it sounds like a lot of fun. Just remember though, I'll be rooting against the cross-dressing cone-heads. :D

Gabacho Mk.II
24-06-2009, 01:52
Well, I'll be following this with interest as well, as it sounds like a lot of fun. Just remember though, I'll be rooting against the cross-dressing cone-heads. :D

Ok, fair enough.:D

There seems to be an interest in "crushing all Elves" from this group of players. We will see what happens as the campaign starts. There is one DE player that I know of, so maybe a High Elf - Dark Elf alliance is in order. :wtf::evilgrin:

Gabacho Mk.II
30-06-2009, 07:26
[let me state upfront that I have never really caught on to roleplaying, even though many close friends are and continue to be all into roleplaying games. Thus, I usually care little for roleplaying aspects or games, and in this campaign, there is a great deal of roleplaying]

The campaign has begun!

The GM running this narrative campaign is well organized and well detailed with his narrative. There are 8 players in total, and I ended up being volunteered to run High Elves.

In a nutshell >> A very small island is found north of Ulthuan. Word gets out concerning this land, and many races end up sending armies to explore and conquer the island for their deities and/or rulers. Blah, blah, blah, and here we are, the start of the campaign.

Before we began and throughout the campaign, we are each handed a question on a piece of paper with 3 or more options to choose from. As we choose an option, the campaign takes a turn, and then we are given a new set of questions which further change the dealings and events of the campaign. Blah, blah, blah, and the campaign continues.

These are the following armies in this campaign:
1 High Elf (myself)
2 Daemon armies
2 Dark Elf armies
1 Vampire Count army
1 WoC army
1 Goblin army

The players are experienced, but none game in GT's or tournaments, so they are rather low-key players in a sense. Most of these players, barring myself and the Daemon player that I gamed against, are mainly roleplayers who dont commonly game WFB, and most of the players have proxied models for their Warhammer armies from several different companies... So then, here we are.

As the campaign turn comes to a close,.... a Daemon army is marching through a valley and is suprised to come across a newly arrived High Elf force. Blah, blah, blah, and then a battle ensues.

The terrain is all set up by the GM, and the scenario rolled turns out to be Haste. In this scenario, both players can setup 18" deep from their table-edge, with a refused flank. [this is not a good scenario for a HE foot-heavy army]

I had never played this opponent before so I didnt know what to expect. I didnt take much time making out my list, but I did again go with a heavily foot army. The only unit that was 'fast' was my Eagle, followed by my Ogres.

My opponent turned out to be one of the nicest players I have ever gamed against, and this was truely a good battle. He informed me prior to our game that he had taken the current Daemon armylist and had toned it down so that it would be playable. Certainly, I hadnt a clue as to what he meant, and I must admit I had my reservations.

The table had 3 small woods, 1 large wood, and a small marsh.

1,750pt Daemon army: (from memory, might be missing some things)
5 Furies
2 Beasts of Nurgle [with T4]
12 Fleshounds [with 1W each]
10 Fleshounds [" " "]
15 Plaguebearers [no command]
15 Pink Horros [again, no command and dont provide Dispel Dice]
General - Herald of Nurgle [1st lev mage, doesnt provide regen]
Herald of Tzeentch, Sorcery Master (Dark Magic)

1,750pt High Elf army:
24 Spearmen w/mus and std
24 Spearmen w/mus and std
15 Phoenix Guard with mus and Banner of Sorcery
20 Sword Masters with FC and Std of Balance
5 Shadow Warriors
1 Eagle
4 Ogres with AHW and musician
General - Noble with GW, Dragon Armour and Radiant Gem [Bear's Anger]
2nd level Mage [Annulian Crystal and Silver Wand]

And since we are only gaming every other week, I am not going to post the battle report for a few days. I would love to read how you guys would wager how these two armies would fare if you merely read both of their rosters. Remember, neither of us had ever gamed against one another before.

Feedback and thoughts?

Golden Lion
30-06-2009, 09:17
Aha, an interesting take of your opponent on the list. Obviously daemons are quite powerful and testifies of good will and sportsmanship that he downgraded some units. I wouldn't know how those penalties will play out, the 1W hounds seem like a rather significant reduction in power to me.

Your list looks great again, just like the last campaign. Love the large blocks of foot. I think your big blocks will be able to take his units down. He has two faster elements in the beasts and furies, whereas you have the shadow warriors and the eagle.

Not making any bets, lets see how this plays out!

GuyLeCheval
30-06-2009, 11:49
If I was you, I'd change the big block of 20 swordmasters in 2 blocks of 10, then you have more hitting power. Don't worry about numbers or ranks, you have them already in you spearman and swordmaster win through kills, not through CR, remember that!

The deamon player is surely a nice guy, seeing with how much he toned the army down!